THR Lerwick8 Begins the Road to Recovery

Hi @Lerwick8,

I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through - you've had such a rough ride so far. Sounds like things might be turning a corner for you now, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hope it won't be too much longer before you can have a well-earned Sake and then a trip to the coffee shop :)

@Mojo333 and @gwenc - my thoughts are with you - I've been watching the news coverage of Irma. Stay safe.
 
@1hipwonder ..Hello! Glad to hear that you are doing well. You mentioned in your thread how surprised you were that the time goes so fast.I feel that too. I cannot believe that tomorrow is my 2 week surgery anniversary date (yours is on Wednesday) and that I am entering my third week of recovery, albeit with some hiccups along the way.

Swelling has decreased more each day..at least my knee looks like my knee again and not a watermelon! Walking in my apartment without my walker/cane and doing well with that. Can't say I will have the confidence to that when I am allowed to go outside and walk.

Do you feel tired all the time? I swear, I feel as though I have flown around the world several times and back:sleep:! Very thankful though that I am sleeping well at night and hope that you are too!
 
I think we all felt tired those first few weeks. Our bodies had been through a LOT so it is no wonder. It will improve with time though so as others have said - Patience in large doses!!!
 
@Lerwick8 my goodness craziness does abound. However, I see that your swelling is going down-- GOOD!!! You are tired-- oh my yes indeed tired was my middle name for months after my first hip, and with this one, I get tired "sneak attacks" after going full out for longer than my body wanted to.

I am wondering if that pain in your outer thigh (which I had on both hips) is just one of those pains. It could also be undermedicating, even though you've been told to start tapering. I still firmly believe that "as needed" means "as needed"...when I taper from percocet, I make sure to substitute an equal amount of tylenol for each bit of percocet that I remove. So if I decided to go from two percocet to 1 1/2, what I'll take is 1 1/2 percocet, and 1/2 a 325 tylenol (my percocet being 5/325 strength). So eventually I'd end up with two whole tylenol and no percocet. Did that make sense? Nobody told me to do this, I made it up on my own. And of course I never go over the recommended amount of tylenol.

Your asthma acting up is weird. I didn't know aspirin is a trigger!! Mine was stable throughout, partly because I didn't change allergen seasons until I was about 4 weeks out, maybe. I take pills, allergy shots, and three inhalers to manage it; I can't imagine what life would be like without them! I hope things improve-- I wonder if it's related to the inflammation that's causing the swelling? Inflamed leg, inflamed airways....

@gwenc Oh yes I very firmly believe in weather causing pain! I would guess, just guess, that the dropping barometric pressure from Irma is messing with you-- I always get more pain, of everything, when the barometer drops! Meanwhile, I hope the horses are not freaking out, and you are safe safe SAFE! @Mojo333 you too!!!!
 
Agreed on the pain meds. I took regularly for a month...especially at night and mornings til I could get stretched out. Started skipping afternoon evening doses using 1000 MG Tylenol.
US is still struggling with opioid abuse, so you have to be forceful about insisting on them. I didn't get addicted and took dilaudud for up to two months...second month intermittently.
Plus rat-holed some fort bad days.
Also, my legs know this stupid weather, we are just catching the winds. Supposed to intensify through the day. Prayers for @gwenc ...
 
@zauberflöte and @Mojo333 ..thanks for chiming in.

Rough 24 hours and l may be absent from the forum a bit more.. As you know, my dad has been ill with advanced Parkinson's for sometime. Last week he was admitted to hospital with a bad UTI infection that was bordering on sepsis (he almost died of sepsis 2 years ago). He really began to deteriorate over the weekend, but overnight things went from bad to worse. His body is shutting down and he is becoming non-responsive.

My cousin Jeff, bless his heart, drove through Irma's wrath to the hospital so that I could say goodbye to my father via FaceTime. They are giving him a few days at most, but he might hang in there a bit longer. I am all cried out for the moment!

The irony of this whole thing is that I agonized all summer about whether or not to have the surgery for fear that something might happen to my Dad. Now that I have had the surgery it has happened and I will miss his funeral. So grateful now that I postponed the previous surgery date so that I was able to spend a few weeks with him in July.

Enough rambling.,,keeping an eye on a low-grade fever that developed this morning, hoping it doesn't increase!

Hope you are well and @Mojo333 that you are weathering the storm safely.
 
oh @Lerwick8 I am SO SO SORRY it is happening this way. Thank you for telling us. Bless your cousin Jeff for his travail! I hope there are more family who can respond, also. ((Lerwick)) (hugs)
 
@Lerwick8 my heart goes out to you at this difficult time. I am afraid I don't know any comforting words but hopefully it helps to know we are all here for you. It is fantastic you were able to spend the time with your dad this summer and I'm sure it meant a lot to him. Hang in there! Sending a big hug your way!
 
Im so very sorry to hear this news @Lerwick8
It has to be extremely difficult to feel so far removed and helpless.
How loving and generous of your cousin to travel through inclement weather so you could
spend time expressing love to your dad and sharing goodbyes.
It has to be comforting for your dad but heartbreaking for you.
Thankfully you were able to spend time with your dad recently creating additional memories to cling to now and forever. You know your dad would understand you not being there given your circumstances. Love transcends time spent apart and the physical distance between you. You hold memories in your heart to draw on any time you wish, something no one can ever take away.
Best wishes you're able to get the rest you need.....Hugs
 
Hi @Lerwick8
So sorry to hear about your dad, I lost my dad September 18 of last year so it has been almost a year. I still miss him terribly, the sound of his voice. Must be so hard to not be able to get there to be at his side, but I'm sure he would understand. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lerwick, thinking of you. Love love your way.
 
@Lerwick8 So sorry to hear about your father. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care...Rita
 
@Lerwick8 How are you and how is that hip?
Know you have needed time for all other personal issues, have thought of you often and am hoping that at least that hip has continued to improve.:prayer:
 
@Lerwick8 - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I've been away from the forum for a little while so I've only just seen. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom