THR Lerwick8 Begins the Road to Recovery

I'm really pleased the weather is cooler for you now, @Lerwick8. Hopefully that will make your recovery a little less uncomfortable.

Reading your and @SimplyD's posts above I'm also glad I bought myself a leg-lifter too in readiness - I have the dreaded log leg now so I think I'm going to need it!
 
How are you doing today @Lerwick8 ? I hope things are running more smoothly, the swelling becoming less, and the Weather Staying Cool for you!

ETA oops, I forgot to reload before I hit "post". I see that the swelling is going down-- hurrayyy!
 
Hi @Lerwick8
Certainly good news the swelling continues to decrease.... along with the heat.
Love the steady moderate temperatures of San Francisco. Beautiful city!
Wishing you a pleasant and restful day....
 
@zauberflöte ...doing better today, thank you! The fog has finally returned, you know that thing of nature that convinced Mark Twain that "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." The fog has certainly helped the swelling reduce somewhat.

Just woke up from a two hour Oxy induced sleep and had the most interesting dream :)

Okay, so I am officially confused..are you taking a hiatus from BS? I read in your thread that you were :bawl:
That said, I do have a bad case of fuzzy brain at the moment.
 
@1hipwonder ..how are you doing this evening? I hope that you are all settled in at home and snug as a bug in bed or a comfy chair.

You will find the leg-lifter to be one of the niftiest tools ever made. The other tool that has really helped me is a grabber to pick things up off the floor that I have dropped. I had no idea how many things one person could drop in a day:unsure:

I had an anterior approach, so I have fewer bending restrictions; however, it hurts so much to bend at the moment that the grabber has been a godsend! Word to the wise and those of us living alone...buy a second grabber to pick up the first grabber after you drop that one on the floor too:flabber:

How is your incision area today? Hopefully all is well after that fright last night. I have a large bandage with a colloidal 'dressing ' on the inside. My OS said to remove it tomorrow. Afraid to do it myself, so I might have my regular doctor do it as I have no visiting nurse. It started itching like crazy underneath the bandage last night. Hopefully all that is telling me is that everything is healing. All will be revealed tomorrow.

Have a restful and comfortable evening:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning (in my time zone) @Lerwick8
I'm so pleased to get the news today that your swelling has subsided. May it subside further.
You're right about the different health systems. The idea in Germany is for the health service to be affordable to everybody. So it's a system based on solidarity so to speak - everybody is paying in.
While - as a colleague of mine put it - he doesn't think there really is a national health service in the US (its all based on private insurance or - I've heard - some employers contribute) they of course have the NHS in the UK and a health service also exists in Australia, but I'm not familiar with that. I have read recovery threads from people with hip replacements in the UK and they were satisfied with the operation and the follow-up.
All systems of course have advantages and disadvantages. In Germany, the risk could be that the system gets abused, money is wasted, for instance in the bureaucracy and one point I have to make about rehab was that they seem to disregard that every patient/every recovery is different. In rehab we had a patient in our activity group for whom the activities were not really suitable because the doctor had prescribed non-weight-bearing treatment for at least 2 weeks while the activities were weight-bearing.

You don't have to go to a rehab centre after hip replacement in Germany - it's not compulsory. You can have rehab at home. I decided to go because I have a husband at home and was worrying that I would not ask him to do things in the household but do too much too soon by myself and end up in the ODIC. Well, I ended up there anyway long after rehab - after two months during our holiday in Cairns, Australia, when I was attempting to help my husband furnish a house my husband had bought. I walked miles and miles in hot weather while carrying heavy objects in a rucksack while I left my husband at home to recover from his cold. I refused to go by bus because the air conditioning was so high on and I don't like the cold air. Then a man in the hotel noticed I was limping (oh dear, shame on me :)). But then I rested and got better again.

Will you have gait training with your in-home physiotherapist (of course later when you are healed a bit more)? The gait training at my rehab was very good. I also thing it's important because during the period with osteoarthritis the thigh muscles atrophy and so the leg is not quite better after the op and take a while to get strong again. The gait training serves to prevent you from getting into bad habits and walking unevenly etc. It's also important not to throw the walking aids away too soon and to wait until you can walk unaided without a limp. We'll another thing I did. I tried to practice walking without crutches a bit as soon as 2 weeks after the op and promptly got told off by the physiotherapist at my rehab and by Josephine from Bonesmart (smile).

I wish you a great recovery - may your progress continue.

Constanze
 
Good morning @Constanze ..

I am in my bed as I write this as it is soon time for sleep (hopefully). Swelling has increased again, but it tends to do that around the late evening. Hopefully it will have gone down a bit when I wake up in a few hours for my next med dose.

You made a great point about the potential problems with your system, such as the 'one size fits all' issue. I hadn't really thought of that. I suppose that is one slight advantage to our system. I do love the idea of affordability and solidarity though. I admire that the German housing system is also comprised of those values. I understand the downside to the housing issue too; however, I live in a city where affordable housing doesn't exist and a lot of homelessness does.

Wow, it sounds as though your new hip had a really rough go of it in Australia. It was painful just reading about it!

I will have to look into the gait training that you mentioned. Fortunately, I did not have a limp before surgery , so I hope that helps too. As much as I would love to get rid of my walking aids, I definitely won't. That said, I will be thrilled to make the transition from the walker to the cane as the walker can be cumbersome around small corners in my apartment.

Well, my eyes are beginning to close as my meds begin to take effect, so I must sign off for now. I hope that you have a wonderful day :flwrysmile:
 
Hee hee. Smiling so hard reading your thoughts on a grabber, and getting two. I seemed to drop everything too. I remember all so well my mini melt down after the top of my water bottle rolled under the china cabinet . One of the post op emotional release things. You would have thought someone died I got so upset but it was the five thousandth thing I had to pick up that day.:oyvey:
You are being very positive and you are very brave as I did have more of a support system.
Glad you got this done, and you will be too!!!
Hopefully you will have a better week.:)
 
Last edited:
Haha @Mojo333
The grabber thing must happen to all......SAME!
I even commented to my husband that I never dropped as many things as I did after surgery.
You'd think I had my elbows replaced. I recall dropping that grabber also, actually numerous times
and wondering how I was going to pick it up......tried using my cane to hook the grabber end of
the grabber and having a laugh thinking this is the craziest thing ever! The grabber was something
I couldn't live without.

Hope today finds you well rested with less swelling and manageable pain @Lerwick8
It can be a bumpy ride but you're already beyond a week! Doesn't it feel like time moves quickly afterward? It did for me, I felt like the weeks just clicked by......surprisingly.
 
Hi Lerwick8
Just looking in on you, sounds like you're chugging along, I hope you're swelling subsides soon, and it will, it gets better day by day week by week there at times you feel like you're not making any progress & then all of a sudden you'll go oh ho I couldn't do this before! I'm also glad for you that the heat has subsided in your area. Anyway hope you get a good nights sleep, hello to everybody else that's looking in on this thread. Positive energy and healing to all…
Gail


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Lerwick8 . How are you hanging in there? Saw your battle scar...don't see any redness around. Oh my stars, when I got all the dressing if of mine the first time it was like...what in the world!!!!:scaredycat:
Looks like all is well for less than 2 weeks.
Are you managing okay.
How is that hip feeling? I know everything else is sore sore but hope you are starting to see that it will all get well.
Hope you have a pleasant evening....
Everyone here is hurricane nutty including staging resources at food bank where I work.
Hope it fizzles out somehow...
Let us know how you are doing, good and bad. Your thread will be here for the next nervous hippy-to-be.:console2:
 
Thank you @Mojo333 :loll:

I have been behaving myself for several days now: rest, ice, elevation. Been sleeping well at night too, but I have always been a sound sleeper. I was worried that having to sleep on my back was going to be problematic. I am a tried and true side sleeper., but have adjusted just fine. Zero appetite though.

Swelling is still intense! Had a home RN visit and was told to stop wearing the TED hose as they are the wrong kind (knee high and not thigh high) and are contributing to some bad bruising. And yes, as you saw, they took the bandage off of the stitches. I was so nervous and very curious what was beneath the bandage. Now I just have to wait for the steri strips to 'peel off.' Nurse also wants me to start tapering off of the Oxy over the next few days with the option of 'as needed' by early next week. Have my first post-op appointment with my OS on Friday.

Keeping an eye on Irma and hoping everyone in her path will be okay. Your work with the food bank is so incredibly valuable, hurricane or no hurricane !

Glad that you continue to do well and hope that you have a good evening :flwrysmile:
 
@gaulsuerou ..Thank you! The swelling continues to be a real problem. Doing all I can on this end!

So happy that your recovery continues to go so well and that you were able to spend Labor Day weekend by the sea:SUNsmile:
 
Glad you go see OS tomorrow. I told mine that the reason they do it 10 days post op is so we will quit hating them by then. :sigh:
Glad you are resting and guessing you have to make the obligatory walks to the kitchen, to the bathroom, etc. That can be plenty for these first weeks until some of that trauma settled down.
I worry you might feel isolated and kind of lonely. Hope you have folks who are checking on you...including us.
I think you sincerely will be happy you got this over with. :ice:
 
Hi @Lerwick8
Bummer about the TED socks not being sufficient. Possibly if they had been it could have
saved you some bruising / misery. Hopefully it will aid in the swelling dissipating.
I think the no appetite is very common. I didn't really lose my appetite. Maybe not quite as hungry as normal,
but I did eat.

Wishing you a good visit with your OS tomorrow and a great weekend!
 
hey @Lerwick8 ! I was told I'd get thigh-high compression stockings too, but I didn't-- odd. What I did get was too-tight knee highs, and it was only after I took them off and switched them out for the pair I wore for the first hip, that the swelling started to go down. Keep doing those ankle pumps, and some calf contractions and quad and...what's the big one on the back of the thigh called?-- contractions, to help the blood move around when you're not walking. Your swelling WILL go down! I think there's something in pineapples that helps, I forget...

Swelling really hurts, and you're only a week and a half out-- did the nurse say why she wanted you to start tapering your meds now? If it's in her orders from Dr CB, then of course she has to say it, but I was given thirteen different kinds of conflicting advice by this and that nurse for my first hip, and some of it didn't work or even was counter-productive!--so I take a jaundiced hairy-eyeball view of conflicting advice these days.

Keep up the good work!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lerwick8 Begins the Road to Recovery
@zauberflöte ...yikes! 13 different kinds of conflicting advice sadly does not surprise me. No, Dr. CB did not advise the home RN. I see him tomorrow, so I think I will stick to what I was doing until I see him. Thanks for chiming in on that one!

I have been doing the ankle pumps, contractions, etc. when not moving, but not much seems to be helping as you can see:badspidy:
 
@zauberflöte... just talked to home RN who stated that because Oxy is labeled 'as needed' that she did not need to check with Dr. CB.

UGHHH
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom