THR Leg twitches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding muscle cramps, I took a prescription muscle relaxant for the first six weeks after surgery. My leg was lengthened which may have made spasms worse, but if spasms are severe you may want to contact your OS to inquire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Thanks, Elizak.... I'll keep that in mind if the other measures don't work.
You take care, lodgelady
 
Hi Liphip

How ya doin'?

Hope your recovery is still moving forward, albeit at a snails pace! I find it a comfort that we seem to be travelling on our journey at the same speed with similar issues. I try so hard not to compare to myself to others on BS, but it's really hard not to. Im probably worrying too much but every day I feel something different......a clunk, a pull, a stab, pins and needles. I could go on. Because my first op wasn't totally successful I'm just desperate for this one to be ok. Prob getting over anxious at times.........trying hard not to. I can now toddle around the house without any crutches(slight limp due to muscle tightness), but still need a crutch when I'm out.
How're you faring on the crutch front? And what about those twitches?
At least we'll have plenty of stories to tell at diner parties eh?!!

lodge lady - Those cramps are the worst aren't they? I had them with my first THR too, but not as bad as this time. I only get them now at night. I only sleep for 2hrs at a time and get them every time I wake up. Think it's where my leg has been stretched out and still for a while. They are not nice. I can totally empathise. Mine were greatly reduced when I started taking a one a day magnesium tablet combined with a B vit tablet for absorbtion(apologies if I'm repeating myself, posted on so many threads that I can't remember what I've said on whose!).
Apart from your cramps it sounds as though you are making a good recovery. Have you got a thread going so we can keep up with your progress?

Keep smiling ladies......Spring is on its way, by which time we'll all be jumping around like bionic bunnies. : )

Queenie xxxx
 
Hi Queenie and lodge lady, it's so great to hear from someone going thru the same thing. To think my surgeon said I'd be back to work in two weeks and I was actually considering calling my sub to tell her I wouldn't need her as long as I thought.
I hesitate to say this but I have gone back to work this week. We have a four day week in our school district. I teach Kindergarten three days a week and technology troubleshooting for the school the fourth day. Monday and Tuesday I had my sub come in the afternoon to help. I know that it may be too early to ideally go back to work but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I am tired and my evenings are spent melted into my recliner. It wouldn't be so bad if I could only sleep better at night. I go to bed early but lay there not really in pain but not relaxed enough to sleep either. I am going to make sure I'm drinking enough fluids. I was better at that right after surgery but have slacked off. Queenie, I'm jealous that you even feel like getting your grove on. That's not something I've considered yet but at I'm encouraged that you feel good enough. I'll get there too!
I have another PT appointment on Friday. The exercises he gave me were good but now that I'm back to work I'm too tired at night to do them. Smart enough not to try either!
Take care and thanks for checking in on me. It makes me so happy to hear from you!
 
Hi, liphip...sorry you can't find my postings. I haven't posted that
Much before this. RTHR on Jan 8 and am doing very well except for
Those darn cramps at night. Thanks to Queenie and liphip and
Others, I am going to try a whole bunch of new tactics tonight and
See what happens. Liphip... I am agog that you are back to work.
Being from Montana and all must make you of tougher stuff than I.
I went out to the mall today & am exhausted! You take care of yourself,
You promise? Thanks to everyone for your help... Ps am I doing this forum
Thing right? If not, tell me how... Yes, I must read Virginia's original
Posting! Hugs to all, lodge lady from canada
 
Hi lodge lady

You are doing a great job posting on people's threads. Don't stop doing that! But if you were to start your own thread(get a catchy title)as well, then everyone can keep up with YOUR progress in one place. You'll also find you get a lot more feedback that way, and if anyone wants to talk to you, you'll be easier to find. You get alerts at the top of the page. Easy peasy( and I'm rubbish with these sorts of things!).

Hope this helps

Queenie xxx
 
Hi Liphip

Just touching base with you as I wanted to know how you're coping back at work. At first I couldn't believe it when you said you were going back but then I notice you've had the anterior approach. I've had the posterior approach and there is definitely a difference in the recovery time. I appreciate how tough it's probably been on all levels but you must be thrilled to be out and about and back to some sort of normality. How's it going? I worked as a volunteer(reading with children with low ability and general dogsbody)for 10yrs, so I know how hard teachers work and how tiring teaching can be. How are you sleeping these days? I'm still only managing 2hrs a time through the night. I still can't sleep on either side so that's prob got something to do with it.
I really hope everything is working out well for you and that getting a shiny new hip is one of the best decisions you ever made. :yahoo:

Onwards and upwards

Queenie xxx
 
Hi Liphip

Just wanted to know how you're getting on. I'm sure you're very busy getting back into the swing of 'normal life'. Hope all is ok with you and that you are continuing to make steady progress.

Thinking about you.

Queenie xxx
 
Hi, liphip...sorry you can't find my postings. I haven't posted that
Much before this. RTHR on Jan 8 and am doing very well except for
Those darn cramps at night. Thanks to Queenie and liphip and
Others, I am going to try a whole bunch of new tactics tonight and
See what happens. Liphip... I am agog that you are back to work.
Being from Montana and all must make you of tougher stuff than I.
I went out to the mall today & am exhausted! You take care of yourself,
You promise? Thanks to everyone for your help... Ps am I doing this forum
Thing right? If not, tell me how... Yes, I must read Virginia's original
Posting! Hugs to all, lodge lady from canada

Welcome lodge lady, yes please do start a thread of your in the Hip Recovery Section, that way we can all come visit your own thread.

:)
 
Hello Queenie and all,
Thank you for your thoughts. I have been thinking about you too, especially after Downton Abbey last week. I assume your third season is over and you know what happened but on the oft chance you don't I won't say other than...OhhhhhhhhhhhhhNoooooooooooo!!!
I am doing well. I had my six week checkup last Friday and felt kind of herded through. The PA didn't even look at my incision and I had shaved my legs just for the occasion!!. Every question I had he said that was normal and just give it time. I'm sure he's right, it's just hard not to have lingering questions when you have lingering pain.
Actually, I am doing very well. I don't really have much pain except I don't seem to be able to sleep all night long without waking up from pain, not in my hip but my leg. Kind of an ache that moves around from thigh to knee, kind of like before surgery actually. Josephine, this is normal too? I can at last take ibuprophen (sp) so I keep meaning to start taking the BoneSmart cocktail but it seems like more pills than I want to take during the day just so I can sleep without pain at night. On the plus side, I have no more restrictions and have abandoned my cane since I ended up carrying it more than using it. :yahoo:
Anyway, I have had two busy weekends and I'm looking forward to a boring week of teaching which never happens in kindergarten, believe me! I am ever so glad I had this surgery. As someone told me beforehand, the thing about surgery pain is that it gets better. Very true. I hope all the hipsters are experiencing that very thing.
LipHip
 
Actually, I am doing very well. I don't really have much pain except I don't seem to be able to sleep all night long without waking up from pain, not in my hip but my leg. Kind of an ache that moves around from thigh to knee, kind of like before surgery actually. Is this is normal too? I can at last take ibuprofen so I keep meaning to start taking the BoneSmart cocktail but it seems like more pills than I want to take during the day just so I can sleep without pain at night
You need to be sensible about this. You say you don't have much pain and then straight away say you can't sleep because of the pain. Which is it? You have pain - take pain meds. It's not rocket science. Doesn't matter if it's 'like' any other pain or not. Is it hurting NOW? Then take pain meds.

Actually, I've said this numerous times before but I'll say it again. Ibuprofen is a low grade pain med. On a scale of 1-10 it's about a 3 or 4. Tylenol, on the other hand, is much more effective and a dose of 1,000mg is more like 5 or 6. Taken both together could nudge it up to a 7. So yes, you end up having to take 4 pills but if they do the job, so what?
 
Josephine - you're right of course. I have read what you said about ibuprofen being a poor pain med here on the site. In fact, I just repeated it yesterday to my daughter who just had her gall bladder removed.
Thanks for the reality check. I'm off to take some pain meds.
 
Just checking in. I'm 8 weeks out today and doing better all the time. Most things are little victories like being able to put my pants on standing up without support but they are important to me! My energy level is improving too. I noticed last week that I had a little something left after school where as before I went home and basically melted into the recliner. I'm still aware that I've had some major surgery but it is encouraging to see things get better.
I am taking 1000 mg of tylenol and 400 mg of advil in the morning and spacing them both out through the day as needed. Still taking half a hydrocodone at night with the other two medications but I'm sleeping much better so I may go without to see what happens. One thing I think has helped at night is changing the position of the pillow I had under my knees. I had it under both knees, now I am putting it lengthwise and laying my leg with the new hip on top. Much better, I don't wake up with thigh pain in the night.
Looking forward to more milestones being met such as reaching my right foot more easily and less stiffness after sitting.
Thanks for all your help!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Leg twitches
update, Liphip. So glad to hear that things are improving day by day. Good that OTC drugs are all you need during the day. Keep up the good work.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Leg twitches
 
Hi Bone Smart!
10 weeks today. Doing ok although still stiff after sitting and pain at the top,of my thigh. Anyway, my question, should anyone know, has to do with my other hip. My surgeon said I would eventually need a replacement on that side although the X-ray didn't show bone spurs yet. He was kind of vague about the condition of it in general. It hadn't been bothering me but just lately I have felt the occasional stab of pain that is very familiar. It isn't often but I know what it means. My question is there anything I can do to slow the process leading to future surgery? I'm thinking not but just thought I'd ask.
Happy Spring!
 
Hey Liphip!.......How's it hanging?

Sorry to hear that you'll probably end up having surgery on your other hip. You'll be just like me then.....positively bionic!!

I guess like me you have osteoarthritis. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do to reverse the process of wear and tear. There are a few things you can try that will help alleviate some of the pain and stress on the joints though.

* Exercise - Pilates, when you're feeling up for it. One of the best exercise disciplines for THR peeps like us. It concentrates on the core muscles which in turn take a lot of strain off the back(something a lot of us suffer with). I can't go back to Pilates until I'm 3mths post op. but this time I'm going to book some one on one sessions to ensure I've got the exercises down pat.
I'm also going to start swimming with a girlfriend of mine(also recommended for THR's). We both HATE swimming......purely vanity reasons....She's overweight and I'm covered in scars and varicose veins!! So we figured we'd make great partners in the pool.
Keeping the muscles strong around your hip will always be beneficial.
* Acupuncture - works for me but doesn't work for everyone.
* Turmeric - has great anti-inflammatory properties.....and it's natural.
* Supplements such as Glucosamine and Chondroitin might be worth looking at.
* keep an eye on your weight for obvious reasons.
Other than the above I'm pretty sure there isn't much else you can do. There might be other folks out there who can come up with some other suggestions and golden nuggets of information.

We are pretty much at the same place post op. I'm getting around fine but I'm still very stiff. Walking up the stairs and standing up from sitting on a chair or the loo still causes a few probs for me. I'm just hoping it will all sort itself out in its own time. Of course it doesn't help that I want it sorted out yesterday!!
All I need to do now is lose around 14lbs and I'll be happy as a pig in poop. Trouble is, those chockie bickies are always a little too irresistible.
It's my birthday today and I know I'll be given lots of yummy chocolate.....Nightmare! I'm going out for a meal tonight with the family so I guess I'll have to stick to my favourite saying at the moment...........'Diet starts Monday' :angel:

Keep on keepin' on my dear BS buddy.

Lotsa love

Queenie xxxx
 
Thank you Queenie! I haven't done Pilates much at all but I'll look into it. Our swimming pool is a seasonal thing but I heard yesterday it is scheduled to,open in May. I have never learned to swim but I could do the water aerobics they do. It is practically across the street from our house so I don't have much of an excuse other than hating to put a swim suit on.
I like the goal of losing 14 pounds. When should we start? :) Last night we went to a fundraiser for cancer called "Men who cook for women who wine" it is a fun evening with lots of different foods, wine, beer, and games. A great time but the scale almost broke thru the floor this morning when I stood on it! But tomorrow is Monday, right?
I am hopeful that now that I know what those twinges of pain on my left side are I will be able to do something's that you mentioned to at least postpone the surgery on that side. I had pain on my right side for a long time before it was recognized as hip joint pain. I was so surprised when the doctor said I needed a hip replacement I about fell off the examining table. I'm sure glad I did it though.
Our three month mark is coming up. I'm finding more flexibility bit by bit and taking longer walks with less pain. I hope you are making progress also.
How was the birthday?
 
Hi Liphip. I would caution you to stay very attuned to your left hip. You don't need to wait until bone spurs develop for it to need surgery. Once the cartilage is pretty much gone, that bone on bone pain can start very suddenly and ferociously. I knew my second hip was just a matter of time, and I wanted it out of the way as soon as it started doing more than just twinges. I scheduled it 3 months out from when I decided it was time, to accommodate a trip to Costa Rica with my daughter. (Fabulous!!) But I was astonished at the amount of deterioration in that 3 month period. I missed out on a night excursion on the beach to watch the sea turtles come in and lay their eggs because of that darn hip.

I'd join the 14 pound club! Twice that would be even better for me. :)

Sharon
 
Thank you sharonslp. That is very good advice. How disappointing that you missed the sea turtles but how awesome that you went with your daughter! I'll keep a close eye on the other hip. I sure hope it stays good long enough for me to have some fun for awhile.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom