THR Leg length discrepancy

IrisMariah33

Country
United States United States
My operated leg is quite longer than the non operated leg. It’s been 12 days since my THR posterior lateral due to AVN. I’ve been on the walker for 7 days and recently transitioned to the cane. I’m walking with a limp around the house but find when I got for walks with the cane all my body weight goes to the non operated side and it begins to hurt my other hip.

How long will the leg length discrepancy last? I’m standing on a tip toe to compensate. Any tips?!!!

@IrisMariah33 Welcome to BoneSmart! What is the exact date of your surgery and which hip did you have replaced? Also was the surgery necessary because of an injury to your hip or because of a long standing problem? IF you limped on a bad hip for quite a long time it can take a while for the muscles in both legs to get back the proper working order. And the feeling that one leg is longer than the other might be due to those muscles just needing time to straighten themselves out. Have you been back to your surgery for a follow up visit yet? You should definitely mention your concern to him/her.

Here are our articles for post hip replacement - hopefully they will answer some of your concerns:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @IrisMariah33
:welome:to the Healing Side and the forum.
I know after the shock of learning I needed my hips replaced...the anxiety leading up to the operation....the relief when it was done with....
then, came the Is this Normal? concerns:unsure:
This forum -with its community of hippies who have been on this journey - was a great resource during my recovery.
Perceived Leg Length Discrepancy is a very common concern after THR.

After years of dealing with bad hips, the body often compensates for the shortening of the leg due to arthritis or AVN tilting the pelvis down on the involved side.

The tilting of the pelvis for a long time however leads to contraction/tightening of the muscles around the pelvis and the hip joint.
During the surgery, the surgeon replaces the diseased ends of the hip joint and restores the leg length equal to the opposite normal leg.

However, due to the preoperative tightness of the muscles on the operated side, the pelvis continues to be tilted down. Our bodies, as djklaugh mentioned, need time to adjust and this needs to happen slowly and mindfully as you heal.

The continued tilt of the pelvis after the surgery leads to a perception of the operative leg to be long after the surgery but with time and - after more healing has happened - gentle stretching and proper gait and posture eventually resolves the issue.
We have an article on this concern you can check out Here.

Stick around... lots of friendly advice and support.:ok:

Welcome!
Many of us felt that one leg was either shorter or longer than the other and it does level itself out after few months.
However check with your OS and let them know your issue.

@IrisMariah33 Wait at least 3-4 months post op before doing anything about leg length issues. In most cases this feeling just disappears as muscles and tendons strengthen. Very early days for you!

Welcome to BoneSmart, @IrisMariah33. So glad you found us while you are still early days in recovery.

Please give us the exact date of your surgery and whether it was a left or right THR so we can create a signature for you. It's helpful to staff and other members to have that information when we respond to your posts.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Suby
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom