Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR Surgery on December1st - recovery so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone - Eight weeks out as of last Monday and I'm feeling great. I do have some swelling -- mostly when I'm at work. When I went for PT yesterday after work, my knee was tight and abit swollen. I had been typing a long brief and spent most of the day sitting down. My PT said to remember to get up to walk around regularly but, when you've got to get something filed in Court, you don't really have the time to take walks.

Anyway, we worked on it with heat, exercises and then a nice icing and last night, I felt back to my "new" normal. I see the surgeon tomorrow morning for the first time (he had eye surgery and was out on my post-op visit) so I have questions written and looking forward to answers.

A few of my questions are: I take 200mg Celebrex daily, what can I take for mild discomfort during the day or evening on those days when I need a boost? (Celebrex limits meds and I'm unsure what I can take over the counter).
When can I expect my knee to be completely swollen-free? (the reason I want to know this is the pants leg in my new knee is tighter than my good knee and it's a little strange looking to have a tight pants leg and one that's looser -- just a vanity thing!).
Does he think I'll be able to walk down/up the Grand Canyon in the Spring without massive swelling from the exertion? (there's no way to ice on the way)... Those are a few that matter most to me.

I've been asked by many people if I'm glad that I had the replacement. My answer really depended on the day early on. I said (4 weeks out) that I didn't really notice that much difference and was unsure. Now, I can say that I'm glad I did it. I can walk up & down stairs without holding on to the railing and pulling myself up, I can walk without a very noticeable limp, I don't walk like Frankenstein or the Tin Man when I get up first thing in the morning... so many things that I notice each day. Yeah, I'm glad and I see progress every week.

I'll let you know what the surgeon says. Take care and walk on!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR Surgery on December1st - recovery so far
@Remy, you are now an
[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR Surgery on December1st - recovery so far
!

Can hardly believe you're back at work full time just 2 months post op. Since you are back at work and your knee is getting a real workout everyday, swelling may be with you for several more months. Elevating and icing in the evenings as much as you can will probably be needed.

It's good to hear that you are happy you had your replacement and that improvement continues on a day by day basis. Your knee will continue to get better and better---and one day you'll realize that you got throught your day and never gave that knee a thought.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Bottomshollow, I started back to work full-time on January 5th, because I don't get paid when I don't work. I was actually quite happy to get back to work, being homebound in the winter here in MD kindof sucks and I enjoyed getting back to the office, seeing everyone and getting back into a routine. I have an ice pack that wraps around my knee that I have been using here but was hoping (testing myself) that I was beyond that stage. I'm not!!
Sitting here now with it wrapped around my knee and waiting for revisions on my document. I will ice & elevate my knee in the evenings while I'm wrapped up in my electric blanket. It's freezing here - 12 degrees when I left for work this morning vrrrrr. Spring can't come too fast for me.
 
Remy, you did go back to work very early and, as bottomshollow said, that is probably going to mean that swelling will be with you for a while yet.
Working is probably all the therapy your knee needs, so PT on top of that is probably overkill. However, if your PT does something to relieve the swelling and pain that's probably all good. Icing and massage are good, but I'd avoid any additional exercises.
 
Jolly good! However, I don't think your surgeon will be able to answer your questions specifically as everyone's different and you'd be asking him to predict the future!

As for the Celebrex, why not take Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day?
 
14 Weeks and an update for you. I'm feeling fantastic! The knee has been progressing at a good clip and I'm so happy I had this surgery. I started back at the gym last week and also swimming. I was worried about not being able to get out of the pool (on the ladder) but I had no problem. I've done weight training 4x already and haven't felt stiff or extremely swollen so very happy about that. My knee is still abit swollen which I expected but I don't have the pain at the back of my thigh any longer -- I think that was the most uncomfortable aspect of this for me -- It drove me crazy at work and driving. So I'm building up my quadriceps again by biking and also weights at a lighter weight. My husband and I are planning our hiking trip in the southwest for the fall and I'm looking forward to it. I've been up our small mountain once and I was surprised how well I did. With some strength buildup before we go, I'm sure I'll have no problem. I hope my postings have encouraged anyone who is thinking that this surgery is terrible, the length of recovery takes forever and the pain is unbearable. I was surprised that I wasn't the exception to the majority as far as the healing process but I feel I didn't push myself behind my capabilities and am fine with my recovery (even though there were a few hiccups shopping & swelling early in). I hope to build up my quadriceps so that my arthritis doesn't affect my other knee and I wont' have to go through this again. I missed my walking/hiking too much :)
It looks like Spring is finally coming to the US east coast. Yay!! Take care.
 
That sounds wonderful! Enjoy your break in the mountains.
 
Hiya. Popping in to check on you. I've read some on your thread. Way to go. It's all a roller-coaster. Partial was total different feeling than full. Do u get scared when u walk? Or can't get leg straight while walk? I do. Just try figure out what it is. Have good day. Xxx I will read more come chat in my tread some time. Xxxxx angel



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow hiking. I love it. Last year I I noticed my leg was bad when we would get off trails at carter caves We go home or in camp area and I would be so uncomfortable. I Can't wait to go again. I'm praying I can when the weather get warmer in Ky. Xxx AnGeL


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back on March 12th I though Spring was here -- wrong! It was 23 yesterday morning and I had to scrape my windshield. I long for the hot, humid days of summer. I've been progressing steadily and the swimming program I'm on is fantastic. It is a deep-water aerobics class and an hour of non-stop motion. My knee is working great although I have a few winces when I do a "frog" kick and other sideways motions with my legs. As the doctor explained, the inside of the knee is where most of the repair work is done and takes the brunt of the operation. I did ask about my slight swelling that I still have and he explained, yet again, that it could take up to a year for the full recovery and not to focus on that. I will say that I haven't had to ice lately and the swelling is very, very minor -- my knee just looks a little chubby compared to my right one. Yup--I'm thinking short season!
Biking is going well and I even slowly jogged on the treadmill last night for 20 minutes. No pain last night or today. I was advised not to jog/run outside and have no intention of doing so. My treadmill in front of the tv in a climate controlled room is good enough for me. Walking is my big passion and I'm good with that. My dog is happy now and we're both starting to get back into fighting shape.
Don't go back to see the surgeon until December so yay for me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom