PKR Left PKR Yesterday

If I feel like my leg needs a break, like today, I just cancel my PT.
This should keep you out of the ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
 
I’m pretty active during the day, doing normal daily activities. If I feel like my leg needs a break, like today, I just cancel my PT.
Good for you. While it is important to keep moving, it doesn't have to be PT. We have quite a few members who have recovered successful just concentrating on ADLs (activities of daily living).

Have a wonderful holiday! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thursday was 4 weeks since my surgery. It was also my final PT session. My ROM is still at 125° and 0°. I have no more quadriceps discomfort and no longer have any problems going down stairs.
Yesterday, I walked the front 9 at the golf course and hit balls to the greens from about 140 yds. Frankly speaking, it felt a lot better than it did before the surgery. Tomorrow I plan to actually play the front 9 holes.
I guess my recovery is not really typical, but having had both knees and one shoulder replaced, I think I am qualified to give a little advice.
1. The first thing is to keep moving. Post surgery is not a good time to become sedentary. Your joint requires movement for circulation and healing.
2. Physical therapy is not the most pleasant experience under the best circumstances. If you are feeling beat up from your last session, consider rescheduling. Scheduling yourself for a Tuesday and Thursday is probably not the best idea. Your joint needs some recovery time. While your joint is still stiff from swelling, one session per week is probably enough.
3. You just had major surgery. It comes with a degree of surgical pain. Try to draw a distinction between pain and discomfort. Your joint will remain swollen for quite some time and this may cause some discomfort but that shouldn’t prevent you from progressing. As long as you ice and elevate, you will be fine.
4. All those folks that told you they had their knee replaced and it was a piece of cake are full of :censored:. It is a painful experience for everyone but your post surgery attitude is critical to your recovery.
Peace out.
 
Dude!!! A great update, a fine recovery in progress, and excellent advice!
 
Thanks for the update! Happy One Month Anniversary and Happy New Year too!
:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Big O
 
You’re motivating me to get out and walk more….I had not been able to walk any significant distance for a long time before this surgery so I have a lot of muscle to rebuild.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m back! Yesterday, I played 18 holes of golf with my men’s club group. That was 34 days post surgery. I walked the front nine and rode in a cart on the back. It was so great! I had not played since September 8th, and I had missed the camaraderie so much. When you go from playing 4 or 5 times a week to sitting on the sofa, it’s terrible.
I will be icing and elevating for months to come, but I’m through with sitting in the house. I’m the proud owner of an infant left knee, a toddler right knee, and an adolescent right shoulder. Praise God for modern medicine!
Peace.
 
Good for you!!!
Just keep pacing youself (so you don't end up elevating and icing more than you're enjoying life!)
 
Tomorrow I will have my final follow-up with my surgeon. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery. I feel pretty good. I have a little swelling by the end of the day, but my leg is pretty skinny when I wake up in the morning. So far, I played 9 holes of golf on Dec 31, and 18 holes on Jan 3,5,7, and 10th. Yesterday, I walked the entire round. We’re not talking Arizona golf. This Washington winter golf, where it is wet and muddy. My knee performed great. It feels so good to be free of the arthritic pain that I had pre-surgery.
 
Wow you are doing a lot of walking! Sounds like you are doing great. Feeling better the next morning is my litmus test for whether I did too much.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wow...thats a lot of golf. I hope the appointment with your surgeon went well. Take care and have a great February!
@Big O
 
@Layla Thanks! I have been doing great. I’m playing golf 3 or 4 times a week and also fishing a lot. I still have a little edema at the end of most days but I wear knee high compression socks to help with that. When I am walking the golf course, both of my knees feel completely normal.
 
Great news and not even three months in! Good things yet to come! :happydance:
Thanks for the update. A wonderful week to you!
@Big O
 
Hi Big O!
It's three months already, Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Time sure flies when we're having fun, right? :wink:
Enjoy your time on the links and water! :realing:
@Big O
 
4. All those folks that told you they had their knee replaced and it was a piece of cake are full of :censored:. It is a painful experience for everyone but your post surgery attitude is critical to your recovery.
Agreed! And overall, mine wasn't that bad. I had partial and was told I'll likely need total in 20 years. Don't look forward to that. Hope I remember the stuff that will help me, but forget enough of the bad to actually go through it again.
 
I was too busy to check in at my 3 month anniversary. My sister in-law passed away last September, and we have been getting her house ready to sell. It has been a real test of my knee. Over the last week and a half, I have single handedly emptied out an 1800 sq ft house. I filled two 30 yard dumpsters. Both of my knees performed pretty well. It wasn’t something that I envisioned myself doing at almost 71 years old, but I feel good now that it’s finished. My patellar tendons are sore from stepping in and out of the dumpster so many times, but the surgery sites feel fine.
 
I'm sorry for your loss.
I'm glad your knees were up to the work! Do get some rest!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom