TKR Left knee done and it’s on to the right!

@zzevi, thank you. The outing was lovely and almost worth the pain. :smile2: And I have to confess, I'm sitting bored out of my mind thinking what kind of mischief can I get myself into. I know that whatever I think of to do will end with ice packs tonight so I'm trying to keep myself occupied at home.
 
If you must get into mischief, do something that allows you to sit and rest while doing it. Like sorting your sock drawer, organizing your recipes, or maybe going through those kitchen utensils while seated in your recliner. I piled mine on a snack tray and sorted them into baskets, then told Mr. Shoes which drawers to put them back into.
 
@SusieShoes good idea but I live alone and have no Mr. janbgobh to help with that endeavor. But it is a good time for those tasks!

I was actually thinking of walking to the ice cream shop two blocks away from my apartment but fell asleep for several hours instead. Saved me from myself :sleep:

I keep thinking I'm further on than my knee does.
 
Glad you saved yourself, but then again it's ice cream!! We are almost twins. I had my right tkr on June 5. That was about 10.5 weeks after the left tkr on March 22. I really have some brain fog, etc this second time around. It sounds like you are doing great, welcome!
 
@becticu Good morning Becky! I also need my right done and have been thinking a lot about the timing. My surgeon said pre op that he would consider doing it at 3 months post op if all went well with the first. That would bring it to September. I'm thinking it might be a good idea in that I'd bypass all those messy yearly insurance deductibles. My surgeon is out of network but willing to negotiate. Everything else is in. I'm still working so Medicare is my secondary and I only have part A for the hospital.

Any regrets on having the procedures so close together?
 
Dang, we have to get you some help! Until then, though, ice cream sounds like a much better option! I'd definitely go for that.
 
Good morning, there are pros and cons for it. For me the pros were insurance. In fact for me I reached my out of pocket maximum during the last surgery so not paying anything for this one at all. The other pro I thought was my job. I was doing this all in one leave. I'm fortunate that I have great insurance as well as great short term insurance, I have 26 weeks at 100% pay.

However this has taken a toll on me physically and emotionally. I thought I was really prepared and this wasn't going to be near as bad as people said it was. I thought I was a little younger than most (not really) and very healthy. I have no co-morbidities to worry about, my weight was fine and I was really determined and anxious to get back to a busy active lifestyle. I done done quite a bit of pre-hab and I'm sure that did help as well as weight, etc. The bottom line is this is a lot of Trauma to go through no matter who you are or what you have done. I had set very unrealistic goals for myself and it was difficult when I no where near achieved them. I'm not sure 10 weeks was enough time, however my baby knee has performed amazingly well. The drugs mess with my psyche and that doesn't help.

3 months would give you more time to recover and get ready to go again. I felt like I had about 2.5 to 2 good weeks in between surgeries. I would recommend the 3 months over what I did for sure, especially if you don't have help. That answer probably didn't help. I know I will be happy in the end because the right knee screamed during rehab for the left so this way I'll be ready, all ready to go when I recover.

I haven't had the flexion results for this knee at all. I am 3 weeks at around 60 flexion giving it all I've got. I was 90 by this time last time. So....don't compare your knees for sure. If your other knee is awful go for it and be done with it. I have nothing but utter respect for those bilateral folks out there!
 
I vote for waiting 3 months before the next TKR. Your good knee will then support your body better. In the early days of my recovery, I spent weeks watching Netflix viewing all the TV comedy series I could find. I couldn't watch any violence or tragic movies. I needed to laugh and think happy thoughts. Being restricted was very hard and coping with pain and frequent medication was almost more than I could bare at times. Now at 9 weeks out I am feeling like there will come a day when my new knees will be fully appreciated.
 
@becticu thank you for your response. I have just finished reading your recovery thread and am amazed at the difference in your recovery between both knees. It seems things are finally improving for you. I hope recovery continues smoothly and quickly for you.

In spite of several comorbitities my recovery to date has been pretty mild and I would like to put this second surgery behind me before I get any older. Most likely I'll schedule the second surgery for somewhere in September. My first post op visit with the surgeon is July 10 so I'll start the dialogue then.
 
@AlaskaGrandy after much reading I definitely agree with you - I will be waiting at least 3 months before scheduling that second surgery.

However, I still think that anyone who schedules bilateral TKR deserves a medal!!! It sounds like you're starting to light at the end of the tunnel. I hope each day brings an improvement for you.
 
On behalf of the Bilateral Community, we accept your medals. :curtsey:

As @AlaskaGrandy said, recovery settles down and into a nice groove somewhere close to two months out, so three months between surgeries makes lots of sense. One of my knees is lagging a bit behind the other, but I think by three months, it too would be fully up to being the good knee.
 
@janbgobh, hope you have recovered from your luncheon walk the other day? I think we all have blue days or hours and sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason. I tend to get that way if I'm over tired, so my best fix is a good nap.
 
@janbgoh - you are doing so well, particularly on your own! Since I did not do both at once my spouse gets all medals for unending support. My OS also said to wait at least 3 months. I can't believe I even asked the question - I am having a slower than anticipated recovery much like @becticu so am now in no hurry for #2 as I want a well- functioning knee to support the next recovery. It sounds as though you are faring well so 3 mos might be fine for you.keep up the good work - and you can never have too much ice cream:yes!:
 
@janbgobh it sounds like you have a good plan in place. My surgeon would probably have preferred me to wait the 3 months but I didn't want to go back to work in between surgeries because of the nature of my job.

@kmak81230 you do want a well functioning knee when you jump off the cliff again. It's funny whatever I did to the toddler knee at PT today is so very painful but my baby knee kicked it up a gear. That's what truly amazes me with these knees!
 
@Pheebs52 yes thank you I have recovered from that walk. However there is a Britney Speers song titled "Oops!...I did it again". I am thinking I should adopt the title of that song as my own! :heehee: I keep making the mistake of thinking I'm further than I am until the new girl puts me firmly in my place. Didn't push as far as last walk and we now have missy iced, elevated and comfortable.
 
@kmak81230 I've read your recovery thread and think you are doing great. You've progressed way beyond me. I can see you like challenges so I bet it's really hard for you to slow down! By the way, I see you're in Colorado. My nephew and his girlfriend live in Denver and keep sending gorgeous photos they took on their hikes. I had hoped to visit them this summer but, between medical bills and recalcitrant knees, that visit will have to be put off until next year.
 
Well janbgobh, *they* say we learn from our mistakes, lol. It's altogether much too easy to keep playing Britney's tune; pffft! I suggest a switch to something less contemporary.....classical perhaps, where timing is of critical importance? Yes, that should work.:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks for the encouragement @janbgobh - I've realized this is not a sprint and I have to rein in my impatience! I wish you good healing for both knees so that you can visit CO next year. With your new knees your nephew may not be able to keep up with you :hiking:
 
@becticu I read your job description and you have a tough job! Constantly on your feet and traveling. Do you ever think of finding a less taxing job? I'm lucky. They are actually being very flexible to me at my job. I'm 69 and I told them I would retire at 70. They are trying to convince me to stay on. I think I've been around such a long time that I'm like a security blanket! :smile2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom