TKR Lee Marie's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @LeeMarie! I just caught up on your thread and you sure have had a time of it!!!! I know you had responded on my thread today but I don't know if you had read all of it. Similar to you, I had very good extension 1-2 and flexion 97 in the hospital. I went to a different PT than my last surgery and they were very aggressive. The exercises they made me do were horrendous!!! I went three times during that first week and each time my numbers got worse. I finally went back to my old PT and have been so happy and I'm finally improving. I really think I lost one to two weeks recovery because of that first week. Heck when I went to my ole PT my extension was 7 and my flexion was 62!!!!
I had been having some pain in my quads and also in my calf muscles since surgery. I would massage them every day and they started getting better. Then last Monday morning I woke up in severe pain in the back of my knee and could hardly move my leg off the bed. When I did and tried to walk I couldn't put any weight on it. This lasted for several hours and I wasn't going to go to PT but they said to try and with gentle movement, it did feel a little better. I had been decreasing my pain meds, so I increased them to the max limit and felt much better. Then Thursday night it started all over again. I was miserable all weekend. On Sunday night it finally felt better and I have felt good since, minus the usual tightness, etc. Today the PA at my doctor appointment checked the back of my knee and said he felt that I had blood pooled there and that was the cause of my pain. I am still on pain thinners for three more weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.
As far as sleeping. After my first surgery back in 2012, I slept in my recliner for six weeks. I just couldn't sleep in bed at all. It was just too painful. Several months ago we bought a Temperpedic Adjustable bed and sleeping in bed is very comfortable. I put the head up a little and the feet up all the way. It sounds as though sleeping in bed is not working for you. Do you have a recliner? I would put several pillows under my leg, cover up with blankets and be very comfortable. I hope this helps. Anne
 
I have tried several elevation techniques that have me waking in agony and/or with a very painful headache. Nothing works, so I find myself sleeping on the sofa. I always wake in extreme pain
Well my first obvious question is, are you taking a dose of your pain killers during the night? Or do you take one at bedtime and the next isn't till you get up in the morning? You need to space your pain meds throughout the 24hrs and if that means setting an alarm for the middle of the night,so be it.

As for sleeping positions, nothing will work as you are only 2 weeks out. I slept on my recliner for 3 months after my op and didn't go back to bed until I felt good and ready. Just tell your husband it can't be helped and he will have to cope in the bed alone for the time being!
 
If you're desperate to get back into the bed, try a flatish pillow between you legs the long way, from the knee to the ankle. Sleeping with my TKR leg on top was the most comfortable. I also used a pillow to support my torso so once I positioned myself I wasn't straining to keep my position or alignment. Sleep wasn't great, but it was in a bed. And I always took my pain meds right before bed, and would set the alarm to wake me when they were due in the middle of the night. I complained about a whole lot post op but my sleep wasn't all that awful.
 
I think that I will stay in my recliner. Thanks, girls.

Has anyone used a TENS unit to help with post op pain? I have one. Despite taking pain meds by the clock, I am constantly experiencing breakthrough pain. Seeing doc for post op checkup tomorrow morning.

Back to gritting my teeth....
 
I tried the TENS and wasn't very impressed. It didn't hurt anything, but with the incision & the way the nerves were cut I'm not sure how much it can help in the early days.
 
I had my first check up today, and I have to say that I am always so thoroughly unimpressed with doctors in general and their protocol for dealing with pain, or should I say lack of protocol.

The good news is that the doctor's PA said I am way ahead of the curve and that my flexion, gate, and leg strength are typically seen at 6 weeks while I am at 2 weeks; I do need to work on straightening out a little more. The cut was healing well, and the staples are out. I am so grateful to be past that first hurdle. My surgeon is very good, and I can see how the Conformis knee might just make a difference in healing time.

I still find myself irritated b/c the PA kept insisting that the reason I was in pain was that my rehab was aggressive. Considering that I spend 95% of the time with leg elevated, barely walked around the house, and did 2 very short walks outside, I took exception to this conclusion of his. In other words, if I am always in pain, then it must be because I overdid it. I despise taking pain meds, and if there is one thing I despise more, it is someone who is not in pain who decides whether or not your pain is legitimate, the degree of it, and where and how you can get refills. I pointed out to the PA that I do not have enough pills to last until next Thursday, and that I would have to drive 45 mins to the other office instead of less than 10 mins to the Thursday office, he insisted that I could drive. When I told him that I do NOT drive while taking pain meds, he shrugged me off and muttered that I could work round the 1/2 life. Can you believe that?

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I am on the right path, and considering how many things could have gone worng, I will take that. Hopefully, the staple removal will help reduce the pain a little. I can't wait to take a bath in a few days. :bath:

I hope that everyone had a nice day. I am beat and off for a nap. :alarm:
 
try a flatish pillow between you legs the long way, from the knee to the ankle.
I tried that and hated it. Just didn't work for me. Back to the recliner!
Has anyone used a TENS unit to help with post op pain?
I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons:
1. it's not the right kind of pain. TENS are good for pain which has a moderate signal. Post-surgical pain of this kind is too intense for a TENS to have any impact on
2. TENS doesn't work in the presence of swelling which is fluid in the tissue - fluid will act as a barrier to the TENS signal thereby rendering it ineffective
3. because of the above reasons, there is also a risk that people not sufficiently knowledgeable about the function of TENS machines, to turn the signal up higher and higher, thereby causing an electrical burn.
The good news is that the doctor's PA said I am way ahead of the curve and that my flexion, gate, and leg strength are typically seen at 6 weeks while I am at 2 weeks
Well done! But it's still possible to get swelling which can interfere with that. So be cautious.
I do need to work on straightening out a little more.
Perhaps but don't be in a hurry. It's not uncommon to have an extension issue are 2 weeks and you have plenty of time to rectify it.
I can see how the Conformis knee might just make a difference in healing time.
Oh really? Do tell! (just teasing!)
I despise taking pain meds,
Well, I think we all do but I tended to despise the pain more! :heehee:
 
@Yorkimom Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. It sure sounds like we had the same problem with blood pooling. I had it all over, and it really was agony at times. i put up a pic of my scar on this site, and if you look at my calf, you can see how bad it was there alone. Thankfully this has settled down, and so has my need for constant painkillers.

Tomorrow is my first PT appointment. I cancelled them last week until I got the pain under control. Hopefully that will go well. I have used these PT's through 2 foot surgeries, a double meniscotomy, L meniscotomy, another double meniscotomy, R ACL repair, a bicep tenodesis, and now a L TKR. My file is inches thick, so thank goodness they went digital.

Will let you know how it goes. I have finished 3 weeks of work, kitted 2/3 of a scarf and gone through the entire run of the Sopranos in 2 weeks. Time to get moving a little!

@Josephine Thank you for the info re the T.E.N.S. unit. I am using in on my out thigh, with good results, but am staying away from the knee.

Hope everyone gets some sleep tonight. I am off to bed.

Good night!
 
@Nana Mo @icep707 @kneeper @tiredwife @MotownGirl66 Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've had a couple of painful days and just needed to ice, rest, massage and forget about other things. The blood pooling has finally reabsorbed for the most part, and I am feeling better. Tomorrow I have an appointment for some Shiatsu massage to loosen up my darn calf and hamstring. They are both taught like piano wire. Motown, I had the same experience as you, Motown, in hospital regarding the calf/general pain and always being a 6/10 mimimum after they took me off the pain pump. At one time, I gritted my teeth for 4 hours because the Dilodid did not take effect at all. I had to wait until they could switch meds. I knew that it was muscular and not a blood clot, but that didn't make it any less painful. The masseuse I go to is wonderful at increasing bloodflow and relaxing tension, so I am quite looking foward to tomorrow afternoon's session. My ROM is impeded by all this bruising and swelling, but it is still improving very well.

I had my 2nd PT appointment today. Am able to cycle 360 degrees and have 2 degrees extension and 115@ flexion. That is better than I'd wished for, so I am very happy. The scar is healing very well, and I am getting sleep. In fact, my only challenge right now is the swelling/muscle tightness and pulling. As such, I consider myself very very lucky. The PT did tell me to walk less for now until I am at zero degrees. He explained that until I am, walking for exercise is stressing the joint unduly, and I should stick to the stationary bike for ROM.

This is my 7th knee procedure, and undoubtedly the hardest, although not unlike the ACL repair I had in many ways. I am blessed with a body that does not generate too much scar tissue, and I thank the stars above for that.

All this lying around has resulted in a finished scarf and being up to date at work, so there is a silver lining to bed rest.

I hope that you are all having a happy, pain-free day. Hugs to all!
 
@LeeMarie Good to hear from you! So glad the blood has been absorbed, it causes a lot of pain. Sounds like you are doing very well. Haven't heard about not walking until extension is at 0. They decided hubby's wouldn't get much better than 2 and we try to walk everyday. He says it helps with his stiffness. Keep up the good work!
 
@MotownGirl66 Well, I went for a shiatsu massage today, and it really helped with the pulling in the calf muscle and the inner thigh. What a relief! It was also the first time I drove myself anywhere in 3 weeks. I highly recommend massage for taught, painful muscles.

Where did the past 3 weeks go? Time sure does fly when you are writhing in pain. Just kidding. Seriously, I am looking forward to the point where my leg doesn't constantly have at least a dull ache going on. I sit up at night and get myself exhausted so that I'll sleep for a few hours. I had 20 episodes of Jimmy Fallon recorded, so I watch that while waiting to get groggy.

I am almost finished the scarf I was knitting for a friend. I guess I will finish the sweater I was making too. I do have about 4 new computer programs that I have to learn for work, so I think that will keep me busy next week. I have been waiting until off the heavier doses of pain meds so that I will remember what I learn. I am thankful that 3x a week of PT breaks up the monotomy. Is it just me or does oxycontin wipe our your memory too?

What does everyone else do to keep from screaming with boredom?
 
A game called "Pocket Frogs" on my phone.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
@kneeper @alexthe

I don't understand your posts. What the heck?
 
Responding to your questions about what to do with the boredom. :)
 
Boredom and drugs -- lots of relaxing nature documentaries. I finally feel able to follow a plot. Also I play online games and have had to stay with the simple ones. Wow, drugs...
 
Hi all. Unlike most of you, I find it hard to read or post much. I never know what to say to people. Things are moving along. I have managed extension to zero and flexion to 123 degrees, so I guess I have little that I should complain about but I feel like I have to battle or beg for pain medication. There are 2 times when I need them. After PT if I accidentally push a little too hard and when my leg aches at bedtime. The Norco doesn't work at night and they treat me like a drug seeker when I ask for the oxy. Does anyone have a suggestion aside from Norco?

PT said that I am about 2 weeks out from walking distances for exercise because she wants to keep swelling under control. I feel that this will be a turning point for me.

Happy Halloween!
 
Yes, ask one of your doctors if you can have Tramadol. I used it throughout my recovery and it served me very well. I always took it with Tylenol. This was my regimen (in the UK Tylenol is called paracetamol)

[Bonesmart.org] Lee Marie's Journey
 
HI @LeeMarie, I just saw your posts and noticed that you had a LTKR on the same day as me! I had alot of bruising on my outside calf and ankle as well, the pain on my calf is gone and my ankle only hurts a little. I had a really bad Valgus knee. My last measurement of ROM was 100 and my swelling seems to not want to go away, which is normal I guess. I'm still on Hydromorphone every 5-6 hours and tylenol. At night the pain wakes me up. I've been really lazy the last two days, although I did have P/T at home yesterday, but my P/T doesn't push me too hard. So it's officially week 4 for us and I'm hoping the next few weeks, I see more improvement. The weather here is horrible, rainy and cold. (Long Island, NY). Anyway, I hope you feel better. Mentally this is tough, what the heck, physically too! I'm reliant on a few friends to bring food by, but I did drive out today for Burger King (LOL) haven't been there, at least for 6 months, so I don't feel guilty and actually went to the movies by myself, with my icepack. Empty movie theatre, so I propped up my leg. (St. Vincent, w. Bill Murray, EXCELLENT MOVIE!) Anyway, good luck w. everything, wishing both of us rapid improvements! Be well.
 
@Josephine
Thank you for your advice. I looked up Tramadol and see that it is in the same class as oxycodone. If they are hesitant to give me refills of oxy, would they have the same problem with Tramadol, or is it less potent? This whole med thing has me so vexed. I appreciate any advice you can give.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom