TKR Leaving for hospital December 12, 2016<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. Try not to worry. It's fine to go back to crutches or a walker until the pain/swelling are under control. You won't set anything back by doing that. In fact, it should help reduce the irritation in your angry knee not to stress it by walking when it hurts. Don't forget the ice, though. It's great for both pain and swelling. Ice for at least an hour at a time even when sleeping. Just be sure to keep a kitchen towel around the ice source so you won't damage your skin. You can actually ice longer than the hour. I did....it just felt good and kept the pain down. Apply the ice to both front and back of your knee.
 
Thank you, Jamie


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1. 2 when I walk 10+
Okay - got that
2. Oxycodone-acetaminophen 5-325 I take 1-2 every 4 hours
Well is it one or two? You have to tell exactly what you are taking and when. I'm not psychic! But you actually need to be taking two every 4 hours.
3. Swelling slight to moderate
I would imagine
4. Flexion 125 extension 0
That's perfect for 3 weeks out.
5. Icing about ½ the time and using one of those ice machines that circulates cold water
6. Elevating most of the time
Half the time? What's that in minutes? And how are you elevating? How high?
7. Very little activity other than taking several 5 minute walks and doing the specified activities. No real housework and nothing outside of the house
Good

My comments in bold
3 x day - that's too many, once a day is plenty. None would be even better!
standing on operated leg x20-25 - you're too early to be doing that. Such an exercise is better at 8 weeks
short squats x20-25 - NO short squats! Ugh!
heel lifts x20-25 - NO heel lifts
heel slides x20-25 - heel slides are an exercise that is very easy to get wrong and this is wrong. But you don't need to do these anyway as your flexion is perfect!
straight leg lifts x20-25 - a tip about SLRs - once you can do them you don't need to do them any more! It's a fact!

You need to read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy.

Your problem is that you've been doing 375 reps every day which is just plain stupid! I don't wonder your knee is screaming at you! So my recommendations are these
1. take more pain meds - 1 tablet is woefully inadequate.
2. stop all these exercises. You don't need them and they are causing you all this pain.
3. answer the questions I left in blue please

You may find that things don't settle until as least 4 weeks, probably longer. There are an awful lot of people on this forum who have done their recovery and done NO exercising whatsoever - I was one of them and I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)
 
I answered these questions yesterday but now I can't find my responses [emoji15]


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
In my email, I have responses from Josephine where she has words in blue that I should respond to. I can't find them here on the forum. But in short I have been taking either two or one when I take the Percocet. As per your instructions I will take two each time. I will cut down on the amount of exercise I am doing.
You asked how high I elevate my leg. I'm going to say about a 45° angle to the bed. I have a slant board that is adjustable.
You asked about the icing I'm trying to ice about once an hour for 15 very cold minutes and then at night I have one of those ice machines that I let run until I can't stand the noise sometime in the middle of the night and I shut it off. So in terms of minutesI guess about five hours.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
All Josephine's advice, including the words in blue, is in Post #45 in your own recovery thread.
You need to use the BoneSmart web site or the app - not easy on your phone. You can't do it by email.
 
I've had difficulty navigating on my iPhone so here is an update from my computer.

I'm doing a bit better now, but have really disappointed myself with this long recovery. My shooting pains seem more like pinched nerves than healing nerves.

I paid the balance on a trip to Spain and Portugal for the third week of April. I pray I'll be good to go since there will be extensive walking during the trip. I saved some Percocet since my prescription ended at week 6 so I would have a supply for my trip to Spain.

I am finally walking fairly normally in spite of the fact I do not feel normal. Pain occurs intermittently and I can't stand the feeling of that tight band around my knee. I bought a neoprene knee sleeve and it relieves a good deal of the discomfort of the tight banding. I only take it off to shower and sleep. Should I be soldiering on without it?

My doctor forbade me to go to PT at week 6, but I go anyway. (I hear you Josephine!) I have always been active and it depresses me to not be doing something resembling exercise. I also started yesterday to go to a spinning class at the gym. I put the tension at zero and just revolve my legs while the class does their thing. That way I don't get bored and can pedal for an hour without too many consequences.

ROM has never been my issue. Pain has. I was already at the "graduation" ROM - though not my former ROM - the first day and I haven't lost it. The only movement that I cannot do is to bend my knee backwards so that my heel bends up towards my butt when I am standing on the good leg. I am very frustrated with that. Does that come back in the long term?

I'm curious to know if I will likely be able to sit cross legged or kneel? I haven't been able to, although I only tried once and backed off when the positions didn't work or felt too weird.

Best to you all!!! Keep healing.
 
I'm doing a bit better now, but have really disappointed myself with this long recovery.
You are expecting far too much, too soon.
Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year. Until that year is up, your knee is still a work in progress. This is not a surgery where you will bounce back quickly, no matter how fit you were before the surgery.
Where you are now is not where you will end up. This recovery is a huge trial of patience.
I am finally walking fairly normally in spite of the fact I do not feel normal. Pain occurs intermittently and I can't stand the feeling of that tight band around my knee.
IT's still only just over two months since you had this major surgery. Have you thought about the amount of trauma your knee received? It is normal to still feel pain at this stage, especially if you try to overdo things.

The rubber band feeling is also normal. It will hang around for a while, but will gradually fade away. Just give it time. "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

My doctor forbade me to go to PT at week 6, but I go anyway. (I hear you Josephine!) I have always been active and it depresses me to not be doing something resembling exercise. I also started yesterday to go to a spinning class at the gym. I put the tension at zero and just revolve my legs while the class does their thing. That way I don't get bored and can pedal for an hour without too many consequences.
Your doctor was wise. Too much exercise for your knee at this stage does contribute to inflammation and pain.
Go to the gym by all means, but concentrate on upper body work.
Your knee is still healing. It's wounded, not lazy, and it doesn't need a lot of exercise.
The spinning class sounds OK, as long as you continue to keep the tension at zero, but I think you should cut the time back to half an hour.
ROM has never been my issue. Pain has.
Some pain is still normal. Too much knee exercise contributes to increased pain, though.
The only movement that I cannot do is to bend my knee backwards so that my heel bends up towards my butt when I am standing on the good leg. I am very frustrated with that. Does that come back in the long term?
It may come back with time, or it may not. Give it time and see what happens.
I'm curious to know if I will likely be able to sit cross legged or kneel?
Cross-legged should be possible, given time.
Some surgeons recommend not kneeling at all and others say you shouldn't start trying to do that until about 6 months after surgery. Ask your surgeon for his recommendation.
If you do start trying to kneel, begin on a soft surface, such as a pillow on the bed, then graduate to a cushion on the floor.

You should never aim to kneel and then sit back on your heels. That is bad for your knee implant. It may be possible to put a cushion between your buttocks and your heels and do it that way.
 
Celle,
Thank you so much for your thorough and informative reply. I am always amazed at the generosity of people on here. Did you have any feelings about my use of a neoprene sleeve? It eases the discomfort but I worry that perhaps it is something I would become dependent on. Meaning my knee will be doing less recovery since the sleeve provides support. I hope that makes sense.
 
If the neoprene sleeve helps you to feel more secure, use it when you go out, but I don't think you should be using it all the time. Try to manage without it when you are at home. You need your knee to gradually take over supporting itself.
As your recovery progresses, use the neoprene sleeve less and less.
 
Thank you, Celle. I removed the sleeve as I finished your reply!
 
I'm one of those people who sailed through my THR recovery and expected to do the same with the TKR. I was very disappointed with my progress after about the 6th week, but have since come to accept that this is a long process. I hope it is getting better for you.
 
Thank you Grannypie. I cannot believe how much harder the recovery from knee replacement is from a hip replacement.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom