THR Last surgery of the day

Second surgery went well although I am quite sore and bruised and oozing blood from the incision. The surgeon put in a longer stem and changed out the liner on the acetabulum with one with a lip/ridge on it. They didn't really know why or how I dislocated. I did find out from the tech here that my nurse had called the on call resident several times to even get the X-ray ordered because he didn't believe I could have a dislocation and he didn't approve stronger pain meds

Now, I'm scared it will pop out again! I have to follow standard precautions even though it was anterior just to be safe. I'm so disappointed in the whole thing!
 
Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry. I had the anterior method, too, and still followed most of the precautions to be safe. I've never heard of a situation like yours, except from a woman who was hypermobile. She did a lot of yoga. Please let us know how you are doing. Do you have support? How is your pain level now?
 
@hipsrus, glad you made it through the second surgery. I can hardly believe that the on-call resident wouldn't order the x-ray or stronger pain meds. That sounds like medical error to me, at your expense with all of that pain! It sounds like your surgeon has made some good changes to your prostheses. Something must have been done really wrong the first time, either in the way he did the surgery, or in the way they moved you around after the surgery. You hadn't even stood up! So this time should be better. Follow the precautions and be careful, like we all try to be. That's really all you can do. Hang in there, getting through the first days after surgery, which are never fun.
 
Now I'm 5 days out from the revision surgery. I battled extreme nausea and near fainting from opioids. I was in the hospital an extra night because I had lack of stamina for standing/walking and stairs due to the nausea. After settling on an anti-emetic and tramadol instead of Percocet things improved enough to go home. I'm very sore and swollen of course. I had a special aquacell waterproof bandage that is supposed to be waterproof and stay on for 2 weeks but I bled through 2 of them in the hospital. They are very sticky, so when pulled off my skin underneath was very irritated, bruised and painful.
I am able to slowly go up and down stairs with holding the railing and a cane. Otherwise I use a walker for more support. I feel like I can't stand all the way straight up. My operated leg feels very tight and heavy and is also 7mm longer than the other side. I'm hoping as the swelling goes down, the leg won't feel so tight and I'll be able to stand up more straight.
I'm doing my basic PT at home but also have a script for outpatient PT to use. I'm super cautious because I don't want to dislocate again but they still don't know why I dislocated in the first place!
The general plan was to have the other side THR in February but I'm not sure now!
 
You are home, and going up and down stairs so soon after the operation. I see that you haven't been given the BoneSmart mantras and articles to read yet, and I'm not sure if I am allowed to do it, so I'll just give you the link to Activity progression for THRs for right now. You are so early post-op that I hope you are resting and elevating and icing most of the time, and taking your pain meds as prescribed and round the clock, and only moving around as necessary.

It was awhile before I was able to stand up straight. I was in the hospital for 4 nights for my THR and 5 nights for my gluteal tendon repair and hip exploratory surgery. I had a hard time being able to stand and walk with the walker both times.

Both times, I was not allowed to do outpatient PT until 6 - 7 weeks after surgery. And I strongly suspect that the at-home PT that I had directly after my THR and/or the out-patient PT caused my glute tendons to tear. They say here on Bonesmart that the only exercise you really need after THR is walking, so please be very careful. For this surgery, I was supposed to start PT at week 7, and I went for one session, had a few very mild exercises. Didn't go back because of the horrible ice and snow and sub-zero temperatures we are having here, and I can't even get there. Will try again in the new year, weather permitting, only because my surgeons want me to do it. I am getting my strength and flexibility back by just doing my everyday activities here at home, so I may not even need it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@hipsrus sounds like you are dealing with lots of swelling post op. Ice and elevate as much as you can. That tight feeling will ease as you reduce the swelling. That leg length difference may also ease a bit - nearly everyone feels it just post op.

Here are the articles Krista was referring to:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Thanks! Yes, pretty much constantly icing and elevating while trying to move about once an hour or so to stand up. Got dressed on my own with the reacher and sock aid so that is a plus!
 
Update, about 5 weeks post op:

Doing much better. Stopped using cane unless icy outside. Have a decent limp and need to hold railing to get upstairs. Put away assistive devices but still slow to get sock on surgical side. Had a wound infection and was treated with antibiotics for 2 weeks-just finished and incision looks much better.

I'm going to PT but it is very gentle and involves some stretching and strengthening. I ride an upright spin bike a few minutes a day.

When walking (especially near the beginning of the walk) my non surgery side hurts more than the surgical side. Having trouble sleeping as both sides are uncomfortable to lay on and have trouble sleeping in my back.

The overall plan was to have the second THR sometime in February. Now, with the dislocation and revision the plan for the other side is up in the air. I previously asked the surgeon if he would do anything different on the other side considering I dislocated for an unknown reason. He said no, nothing different. I'm not sure how I feel about this and not sure if I should seek a second opinion.

I have a follow up with his PA but I don't get to see the surgeon again as they only book him with new patients. I was also a little put off by this policy.
 
@hipsrus Glad to hear that things are progressing for you after that rocky start. Re: working with the same surgeon for the other hip--my quick reaction is that I'd want to at least consult with a different surgeon for the second hip, and not someone in the same practice.
 
@hipsrus, happy to hear that things are going better! Sleep was very difficult for me after my THR. I couldn't (and also wasn't allowed) to sleep even on my unoperated side until 6 weeks. Even then, when I started trying on my side, it wasn't really comfortable for a month after that. I've never been able to sleep on the surgical side for very long. After my second hip surgery (not a THR), I wasn't able to sleep reliably on unoperated side until recently, at about 10 weeks. I cannot sleep flat on my back due to sleep apnea, so I sat propped up with pillows after the THR, and I got a hospital bed for my home after the second op, which allowed for much better sleep, as that provided a much more stable surface to recline on, and my feet could go up, too.

The surgeon that I used for my second hip surgery was my second opinion doctor. Both that practice and the one I had before had follow-ups at 2 weeks, 6 weeks and 90 days. The 90th day appointment is with the surgeon, and the two previous are with the physician's assistant.

If I were you, with all that has happened, your questions, and what is to come, I'd definitely get that second opinion. They are expected and shouldn't be a problem for anyone. And, with your current doc, how can you plan a surgery without seeing the surgeon, especially considering your unusual situation? I'd be very uncomfortable with that.
 
Update:

5 months post op
No instability or dislocations. Going to PT regularly to slowly increase range of motion and work on strengthening. Still had trouble with groin pain making it difficult to do straight leg lifts, go up stairs and get in car.

Had second opinion with Dr. Mayman at HSS in NYC abou 7 weeks ago. He thought I should have their special MRI that is made for implants so less distortion. Unable to get insurance approval unfortunately. He thought prosthesis looked good on X-ray but wanted to investigate soft tissue issues more thoroughly.

Ended up with my local pain management (used to do steroid injections directly in hip joints under fluoro every 3 months with him) doctor doing an ultrasound guided steroid injection into my very tight TFL. That helped enough to left the leg. Still some groin pain but happy to go up stairs normally. Hope it lasts!

Waited several months for local (3rd) opinion from a different orthopedic doctor that is experienced in anterior hips. He touted how he is superior (learned anterior technique in fellowship and has done >3000) and how his hospital he works out of has superior patient care (I wasn't happy how my dislocation was handled at first hospital). Definitely a cocky surgeon but I'm sure he is very good. He said he wouldn't do my other side any differently than normal, but would be careful especially when I am moved to reduce chances of dislocation.

I actually have surgery scheduled next week with the first surgeon (it was originally supposed to be in February but delayed with the dislocation and subsequent revision). The cocky, young guy's first opening is in 6 months. I have to decide plan by tomorrow!!
 
I guess you have to go with your gut feeling. Can you work with the cocky guy? Or is your current surgeon the one you trust. In the end it's all about experience and trust. No sure I would go with someone who spouted so much hype.
 
Hi hope is, I just read all your threads. First what a brave string woman you are. I can't even imagine what that type of pain feels like. Bravo to you for your the fight within you.
I am 9 days post-op from a posterior rthr. I live in the US.
The one thing that made my having surgery easier, was the trust in my surgeon. I have found my gut always guides me in the direction I need if I don't let my brain interfere to mulch. The amount of information out there is staggering and overwhelming.
I wish you a clear head and peace within you to help you reach a decision that confidence with your upcoming surgery.
Hugs to you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom