Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

@LarryNYC You are a good example of how someone can recover so quickly from surgery! Good for you!
Yes, I wanted to eat everything in site. Also, I was told to use wheat germ oil on my scar to help with healing.
I actually pull from the center of scar to both ends at the same time to help the scar from puckering due to scar tissue. Don' t know if this was an issue for you, but would help overall appearance. Good luck on your recovery!
 
@SwimGirl Thank you for the tip. I don't have puckering, but I do find that when I do a deep stretch "against the grain" of the scar, the scar feels very tight. I feel like I need to forcibly stretch the scar a bit now so that I don't end up being limited by it in the future, but I worry about stretching too much and tearing it!
 
@LarryNYC I think as long as you are gentle with massage and stretching I don't think it would tear. It is scar tissue underneath. Massage helps with circulation and healing as well!
 
A couple updates for anyone interested.

I'm now at 8 weeks post-double hip replacement (anterior approach). A few days ago, I went to the salon (suppressing my embarrassment at being the only guy there) and had my scars successfully covered. The makeup artist used an orange base on the skin, followed by a flesh tone, followed by a setting powder. Then she repeated that 3 times, layering everything on. The makeup lasted for the full day the way I needed to, and I was successfully disguised. The makeup actually washed off mostly on its own in the shower that night and the next morning, so I avoided using makeup remover. I was worried that could be more abrasive on the scars. As far I can see and feel, the makeup has caused no ill effects at all on the healing incisions. Of course, I am not doing this every day, just once a week or so for work.

A few days ago, I also started back at the gym and having been doing deep squats. For safety's sake, since it's early, I'm not using any weights, just my body weight. It was a pretty ecstatic experience. I haven't been able to do squats for over a decade!
 
Setback?

Ten days ago, on Christmas Eve, I was wrestling with something in my car--basically, doing a sort of reach and twist motion. I felt a little pain in my thigh area and didn't think much of it. The problem is that it's 10 days later, and I still have the pain. It's worst in the morning, when I wake up. I'll actually be limping a little upon rising sometimes. The pain can also flare up when I start walking after sitting in a chair for a long time. Walking and generally activity improves the pain, to the point where it's fairly subtle and does not cause any kind of limp.

I am worried that I could have moved my stem a tiny bit. Or maybe it's just a soft tissue injury?

Thinking about giving it another week before checking in with the surgeon.
 
A few days ago, I also started back at the gym and having been doing deep squats.
At only 8 weeks out deep squats are very risky. I would guess that this activity probably contributed to your current set back. In any case, new hips don't like any twisting motion.

Are you still doing gym work? What other activities have you added? Does icing ease the pain in your thigh?

Soft tissues are still very much in healing mode. You need to give your hips a chance to heal. Continuing to push this recovery could very well result in chronic pain issues - just sayin'
 
Thanks, Jaycey. The problem happened when I was trying to squeeze something in my car, reaching and twisting. I've been laying off the gym for the past couple of weeks and have only been doing housework and my regular work, which requires lighter. This actually seems to help. The pain is worst in the morning, when I was stand on my feet. I haven't tried icing, because the pain seems to be a deep inside.
 
Hi @LarryNYC, good to hear from you, sorry you had this set back. I'll tell you what happened to me, to put your mind at rest.

I too was very scared about my femoral stem after a very nasty jolt. In a moment of madness I jumped off (!) a box equivalent to 2.5 steps high, my full weight onto my new leg first, before I put the other leg down. (It's a long story and I've berated myself too long over that, as the repercussions meant resting up for weeks, and I'm still taking things easy. To cut a long story short, I was trying to protect my old hip! Story is in my thread if interested.)

Anyway, despite the stem taking full impact of my whole body weight first (from a height) before I put the other leg down, all was okay in the xrays, thank God. I had imagined the bone under the tip of the stem having a hairline fracture, or that it may have shifted deeper into the bone another half a centimetre or more.

Xrays showed the implant had not shifted, and no bone damage occurred PHEW. Believe me, I am even more conservative now than before with my movements (and I had actually babied my new hip as if it were bone china to that point).

I totally understand your concern about doing damage to the femoral stem - but it's pretty rigid in there. Apparently it takes 15 minutes of hammering to do that part of the surgery! Twisting would more likely affect the socket part I imagine? Continue to do as you are doing, rest as much as possible to allow the tissues to heal, and baby those lovely new hips. We just need to be super-conscious and remain aware as we progress through recovery. No more set-backs!
 
That does sound scary, Sunny girl. I wonder, what did you to yourself? Soft tissue injury of some kind?
 
3-Month Update: Just had my post-op Xrays, and everything looks perfect! My incident of sudden pain that occurred on Christmas Eve and lasted a few weeks was most likely a muscle strain, according to the Physician Assistant. She said this is common as folks resume an active life. She said I am now cleared to do high-impact athletics, as the bone has adequately embraced the implants.

What I'm definitely feeling now is my normal tissue catching up to the prosthetics! On Sunday, I had work, which I do once a week. I had to be on my feet for 13 hours and do a lot of squats and general exertion involving my hips. My hips themselves feel great, but I'm getting that 2-days-after-the-gym kind of feeling. Muscles sore everywhere. But it feels great mentally to know that parts of me that have been neglected for so long are finally being activated and getting a workout!

Here are my 3-month Xrays if anyone is curious. The shot is lousy, because it's a cell phone snap of a computer screen image. I'm pretty amazed at how well things seem to fit, because I had multiple epiphyseal dysplasia, and my hip sockets were not perfectly shaped going into the surgery.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] LarryNYC's Recovery Journey
    Hip at 3 months.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 355
Great update LarryNYC, your job sure is strenuous! But sounds like your hips are standing up to it well - amazing! I haven't looked at your xray for modesty's sake lol, as it looks like you haven't put a 'privacy blob' over a certain area. I could be wrong. One of the admins or the wonderful @Josephine might be able to do that for you?

How are the scars looking? Are you still having to apply the concealer for work?
 
Thanks, Sunny! My scars are 4 inches long and several millimeters wide in some places, so I expect to use the concealer for several months at this rate. It doesn't completely hide them, but it certainly takes the "bite" out of them.

And now I'm very happy to provide a 13-week update. I just got back from a weekend abroad, where I literally found myself walking around the city on my two new hips for miles every day--3 days in a row. This was, by far, the most I ever challenged myself since surgery, and I just kept going and going without problems. My feet and various muscles throughout my legs definitely got sore in the latter half of each day, but it was a good sore--nothing that felt wrong or injurious.

One of the things I realized needs work now is my walking speed. I feel like the endurance is there, but I'm still naturally a bit slow. I have to make a conscious effort to walk faster when I'm walking with well-energized companions. I'm not quite sure how to explain it; it's as if my muscles just aren't responding at full speed to my brain, and my brain has to shout at them to "Listen up!"

Although I've been cleared for high-impact sports, I don't think I'll try them out for a few more weeks. I still feel like my muscles are building up and I don't have the proper strength yet.
 
Very inspiring @LarryNYC, especially ...
I literally found myself walking around the city on my two new hips for miles every day--3 days in a row.

I just kept going and going without problems.
This is what I can't wait for!! And to have achieved this so early is just fantastic. Well done LarryNYC. What an incredible sense of freedom and strength you paint.

Speed, yes - my steps are half (or less) what they used to be - but I am coping with a hip that was meant to be replaced along with the other one last September (scheduled bi-lateral but had too much blood loss, resulting in transfusions and not going ahead with hip 2 - I am SO envious of you.)

Wise to be cautious with the high impact stuff - you are very tuned into your body, and will know what's right.
 
Well, I hear the bilateral is unusual. And my surgeon warned me prior to surgery that he might have to stop at one if too much blood loss. I definitely felt the impact of the bilateral on my heart the first several weeks too. I think doing one side can be the better choice in a lot of cases--nothing wrong with ending up on that route.
 
it's as if my muscles just aren't responding at full speed to my brain, and my brain has to shout at them to "Listen up!"
This is not the first time I have heard this described. I would not doubt that muscles and nerves have to "connect up" again post op. Just take it slow and steady. You will get there!
 
Just over 5 months now with the two new hips, and it's a bold new world! My hip joints move with absolute perfection, my speed feels close to normal, and my muscles haven't been getting very sore after days where I push them. In truth, I feel kind of like a kid again, with a whole universe out there to discover. The two scars clearly have many months to go before they fade, but I cover them with makeup a lot of the time, and this dulls them down quite a bit.

Once in a while I get some foot pain, and I often get briefly stiff when I get up after sitting for a long time, but these things are trifles in the overall scheme. I have experienced no significant setbacks in several weeks and am pretty sure I've "turned the corner."

My current plan is to keep moving and building strength in my lower body. Then, in a couple of months, I'm going to start dieting to take off some pounds, which I think is what will really be necessary to enjoy these new hips to their fullest!
 
Approaching 1 year after my bilateral anterior hip replacement, so it's time for an update!

To summarize my current status, in one sentence: I feel perfect. The surgery has been nothing less than a miracle for me. One year ago, every step was painful, and I was barely walking despite taking high-dose anti-inflammatory medication. Now, I have zero pain, zero restrictions, and am able to move at least as good, if not better, than the average person my age.

I did go through an issue this summer where I would limp from time to time and went back to my surgeon because of it. It turns out I was simply straining some muscles at the front of my thighs over and over again. I'm pretty sure how I was doing that--but those details are not particularly important.

I started back at the gym a couple months ago and have been losing weight and getting back into shape. My main concern these days is uncertainty around how hard to push certain things. I'm enjoying doing the leg press machine, for example, and building up my leg strength but wonder how hard could be too hard. I'm also doing a lot of squats at work, which improves my job performance tremendously, but wonder if I could be accelerating wear that way.

Overall, I can say I'm incredibly grateful for this procedure. It didn't save my life, but it saved my lifestyle, and I recommend anyone who needs it not to delay too long.
 
Congrats on one year mark! When I hit mine I was really amazed at how far hip had come. Of course now the other one is starting in but I won’t wait as long to get it taken care of. You bilaterals are amazing! Good luck with continued recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey @LarryNYC .
Great post. I am just over 6 months and I feel like I have my life back finally. No more hip pain has me feeling decades younger and sleeping all night after five years of frustration leading to desperation leading to what do you mean I need double hip replacement has made it a seriously strange year.
I see my future being happy and pain free like yours.
So happy we got our life back.
Continued happiness from a bilateral bonesmart buddy
:cheers:
Jodi
 
Back
Top Bottom