TKR Larry’s LTKR Recovery

@Ceegee , thats a great update, and sm really encouraged ay your abilities at 8months.
My PT is also very encouraging a niw focusing on strength. When i was asked to walk without any aids the mental block was huge, but did it and surprised myself.
Next she wants over the next few weeks for me to try the cycle outside. ...she reckons i am ready....needless to say she has more faith than me. ..but who knows what another 2 weeks will bring
 
Good morning all. Yesterday was the first time that Lefty complained about the added workload since Righty got replaced. Probably not surprising that yesterday Righty was also swollen, stiff and uncomfortable. I believe it was probably due to the crazy weather changes going on in the Northeast. I had PT yesterday afternoon and he gave me a very nice massage along with some gentle stretches. No exercises of any kind yesterday because of the discomfort. I wasn’t aware that they could take an hour to massage and passively stretch but I felt better when I left. Today is a new day.
 
What a lovely visit! The few times my therapist massaged me left my muscles tighter then they were...she was focusing on tight hamstrings and digging in with her fingertips. It wasn't that "hurt so good" feeling, it was a total OUCH! Wishing you more wonderful PT visits. :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning all yesterday was 3 weeks post op for Righty. Lefty has started getting cranky overnight which seems odd but gets better during the day. Righty is definitely different than Lefty. With Righty I have pain behind the knee that wasn’t there with Lefty. I also had some different bruising and a deep quad bruise with Righty that is finally clearing up. I went to PT yesterday started with stretches then my PT got me on the table and massaged my knee, quads, itband and took measurements. He looked at me and said do you want to know the number? I said not particularly, better worse or same as last time? He replied better and we moved on to do my exercises.

As those who have followed my saga know with Righty I worked from beginning at 3 weeks. In hindsight I believe that was not in my best interests. With Lefty I decided that I was going back at 8 weeks but not before. When I filled out the disability/leave paperwork the claims person set a return to work date of 6 weeks. I immediately questioned it and she said the doctor said 6-8 weeks to return to work so she chose 6 weeks if I needed more I could get it. When I went for my 2 week checkup the PA who opposed my work plan last time was ecstatic that I was taking time to recover this time and said I could go back at 8 weeks. Now the claims person is loooking for “medical records supporting this change”. I am trying to not go bananas on this lady. Since the first day I have been saying 8 weeks, my doctor has been saying 8 weeks SHE arbitrarily chose 6 weeks. Frustration party of 1. Insurance companies suck by definition.
 
Insurance companies suck by definition.
Yep, unfortunately, I agree. Their only concern seems to be about making money, not the best care for the patient. When I had my first kneecap removed in the early 90s, I was running a fever in the hospital, but my insurance said I had to be discharged. My OS was angry and said he'd fight it and if I had to be discharged, he take me home with him and take care of me! I did get approved for one more night.

I hope you can get your work DB straightened out. Can you get your OS in the fight? Even 6 weeks is really early to be going back to work.
 
Last edited:
My OS was angry and said he'd fight it and if I had to be discharged, he take me home with him and take care of me! I did get approved for one more night.
Wow, what an awesome doctor!
 
My OS is already in the fight. 100% supports me not returning until 8 weeks said even that might be too soon. Now we just have jump through insurance company rubbish.
 
Wow, what an awesome doctor!
Yes, he was. He did my 1st 2 scopes and lateral releases and then my first kneecap removal. Unfortunately, he lost his license to practice for drinking on the job. I never smelt a thing on him.

@Larryhg3, with your OS involved things should go your way with your DB. That's the last thing a tkr patient needs to worry about!
 
Just got home and have to say I am in a semi panic. While the PT was massaging by my tibia he stopped and picked up some gauze and dabbed at my incision. He manipulated a few more times and called over another PT. There is one tiny portion of my incision at the very bottom that hasn’t fully closed. While he was massaging there was a small amount of seepage, it was yellowish. He massaged a little more and there was a little more seepage also a little yellowish. I have no fever, no redness, no tenderness. They both said I shouldn’t panic as it could be nothing and I should monitor it over the weekend. I asked if I should call the doctor and they both said to just monitor it for now. Got to say I am pretty upset and nervous right now. Don’t want to over react but I am pretty nervous right now.
 
Call your doctor. I’d rather have my doctor tell me to wait, than a PT.
 
I had already made that call Jockette. Left a message with his office. His PA called back and said that since I have no other symptoms of infection I should monitor it closely. I asked what that meant and she said:

Check it carefully in good lighting for puffiness, redness, inflamation of any kind multiple times a day
Don’t poke at it but check for pain around the incision site, said to use common sense because it will get irritated if I keep poking at it
Monitor any new discharge if any
Pay attention to new pain
Watch for fever

Said that this could be nothing at all but we should watch it carefully.

Needless to say this isn’t going to be a good weekend.
 
I hope it turns out to be nothing. Nobody wants what we’re thinking it might be. :skep:
 
I pray it's nothing bad. Please keep us informed.
 
How's the incision tonight? Hopefully no additional seepage and you're feeling well. :thumb:
 
Other than being a complete basket case nothing further to report. I actually cut my pain meds back to 1 tablet every 6 hours. I was also able to come up stairs leg over leg yesterday. Still not enough strength/bend to go down but working at it. Not sure what yesterday was but am quite honestly not in a good place mentally right now.
 
@Larryhg3 I hope everything turns out well.I had the same problem with my incision.It made me very worried at the time but is fine now.:console2:
 
@Larryhg3 Keep us informed on this situation. Hopefully it is nothing serious! I get my staples out Tuesday. My knee gets real tight now when I do my bends. I’m so afraid after the staples are removed, the bends will cause the incision to pop open!
 
Larry , can understand your concern, but looking at it based on the PA response, if he or she were overly concerned they would have had you come right in and probably put you on antibiotic. Probably not gonna make your weekend that pleasant, and further you didn’t say he wanted to see you after weekend which would further lead me to believe he was not that concerned about the seepage. Hang in there, and keep us in the loop.
 
Larry how are you doing? I have been checking in to see how you are? Can you post when you can?

Schpooko
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom