TKR Larry’s LTKR Recovery

I was a total "dry needling skeptic" for years. But gave in to it a few years ago. I had had a lump in my trapezius for many years that was resistant to massage, heat, ultrasound, etc. One session of dry needling, and the lump became softer, more diffuse, and eventually shrunk by 80%. The effect has lasted.
 
Graduated from PT today. They had a clinical meeting on me last week and decided that there was really nothing substantial that they can do for me. I have almost no pain, have great function and refuse adamantly to allow them to push on me. On to conditioning for me and then on with life.
 
Today I went to get fitted for my new irons for golf. They are my gift from my wife for the last year and 2 knee replacements. Many of you know that golf was the Only thing I still had after years of bone on bone in both knees. I would play a New England season ...May - Oct then go to my orthopedic doctor he would give me a shot, I would walk with a cane for a month. Rest through the winter and do it again. Oct 2017 my orthopedic doctor said no more and I began my journey.

I asked my OS for the knees for permission for the fitting. I promised if it tweaked me in any way I would immediately stop. Today I got fitted for my new golf irons. Today I took the next step to getting better. I didn’t have this surgery to get range of motion. I did it so I could do the things that I LOVE to do. I LOVE to walk around a rolling field chasing a little ball trying to put it into a little hole. I thank you all here at BoneSmart for giving me the courage to move forward. For supporting my unorthodox manner. For reminding me Always that we are trying to resume our individual Activities for Daily Living. Today We reached a huge goal.
 
FORE!!!!!
It’s fantastic how you kept your goals in mind thru it all. Please post a pic of your first tee off with your new clubs this season.

I too have a pic of my reward hanging on our fridge. It def keeps us focused having something specific we are working towards. You helped me flip my focus actually and the picture went up the next day.
Tiger Woods look out (or Spieth. Or McIlroy. Or Couples. Lol)
 
Woohoo!! So happy for you! It's wonderful amidst all the difficulty with our recoveries to see such positive post.
 
Hello all been a while since I posted. I had my 6 month check up for Righty today. I told him that my flex was lagging but I was working on it. His response “lagging? By who’s standard. Looks really good to me”. His next question was “What can’t you do that you want to do?” I still think going down stairs leg over leg could be smoother. He told me that is a “very complex movement” and that I need to give myself a break. Told me that I took on a lot getting them both done in a year and he is very happy with my progress. Also let me know that the latest thinking is moving away from such a focus on formal PT and so is his practice. Then said those wonderful word “you are all set to swing clubs fully and golf as much as your knees will tolerate.”

Things are of course not roses and lollipops every day. I still have days when I over do it. Righty chimes in immediately with swelling and stiffness. When he does I rest elevate and ice. I thank all of my friends here on Bonesmart for tolerating me through this process. This forum is an absolute God send for those of us on this journey. I will continue to lurk and cheer you all on.
 
Your doctor is very sensible! It sounds like you are doing good and listening to those knees.
 
I'm glad your 6-month check went so well.
Your surgeon sounds like a keeper.
 
Hello Bonesmarties,
Stopping by to confirm that it does get better. Righty is 8 months old this week. I continue to do conditioning 2 days a week and both knees are getting stronger and better. I can of course still push too far on my exercises but the staff where I do conditioning promptly bench me when I do it. My knees love to walk, slowly over time I have gotten to the point where I log 12-14 thousand steps a day on average. I have gotten back to golfing 2-3 times a week and yesterday I walked an 18 hole round for the first time in 10 years. Last night I was sore muscle wise but my knees were happy. This morning some minor muscle soreness but feeling good. I use the things I learned here all the time. I am not afraid to try things but always remember to listen to my knees and adjust accordingly. If you are struggling now listen to the advisors and admins. Find the way that works for you and move forward it will get better. I still lurk here and cheer everyone on.
 
What a great report!
You've done so well and achieved what you wanted to from your TKRs. Brilliant! :yes!: :yay: :dancy:
 
Hello Bonesmarties
I just came from my 1 year checkup on Righty (2 weeks early). X-rays looked great stability was great. My Dr has a new PA he broke out the goniometer which irritated my surgeon. Both knees extend easily to zero Lefty bends to 129 Righty to 122. He asked if I minded if he gently pushed on Righty I said Yes....he laughed until he saw my face. I said doesn’t matter what you can force it to only what I can do. My surgeon laughed. I go back for my next visit in 2 years.

I don’t regret my surgeries at all. If you are early in this journey and feeling discouraged give it some time. Find the recovery method that works for You and stick with it. Don’t let yourself get caught up in the numbers. Focusing on that stupid ROM number will drive you crazy. Every person and every knee heals differently so listen to your body it will let you know how it is doing. There is a lot of wonderful and caring advice here from people who have walked the path you are on. I thank God that I found Bonesmart early into Lefty’s journey and that you wonderful people guided me through both my knees. Good luck all.
 
What a wonderful post! The long term support of this forum is invaluable. Thank you for reminding us why we had our knees replaced.
 
He asked if I minded if he gently pushed on Righty I said Yes....he laughed until he saw my face.
I would have loved to have seen his face! Good for you!

You have had a really good recovery doing it the sensible way. You are right about ROM numbers. It is not the numbers that count, it is the function of our knees.
 
I've adopted your "lefty" "righty" nomenclature and can't help but think of you every time I say the words! Just so glad to hear you're doing well, and thank you for checking in. It encouraged me to do the same. Heading over to @traceys now as I see she recently posted, too. Thank you for sharing your encouragement to me along the way. It helped me more than I can say. :flwrysmile: Wishing you continued healing!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom