TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe 4 months is to long to wait in general
It depends which kind of recovery you are talking about. Early recovery is generally accepted (by professionals) as being 8-12 weeks. Mid recovery something like 10-18 weeks. Long term recovery is definitely 8-12 months! You can argue all you like, that's the truth of it!
I actually did this with the other PT, they gave me 6 exercises to do, using a band. All standing, with blue band around ankle. It had little impact on my knee. Should I expect something like this (exercises, not necessarily these exercises) from a good PT?
What I was talking about was gait training rather than various exercises. You can exercise all you want but if your gait is off, then they may not necessarily be effective. However, gait training is a type of physical therapy. It can help improve your ability to stand and walk. It may help you gain independence in walking, even if you still need an adaptive device.
 
I did go to the gym once about 3 months after my first knee and I found that I couldn't do the leg exercises. I found I was sore in places I hadn't realized I was sore and it was too painful. My gym workout today was ok. I did manage to use about half the weight I used to without a problem. I did find that I'm out of shape cardiovascularly too. Anyway - at least 2-3 times a week from now on should get me back in shape in a few months.
 
I appreciate the input that I receive from everyone on this forum, plus my local PT community, and my doctor.
I am a retired engineer, I have a process for solving problems, my knee is not a problem per se, but attaining my mobility back and the ability to hike a few miles a day is my goal. I'll take lots of input, and use my judgement, and knowledge of my body, to reach the goal.

Balance is the key, as it is with many things in life, too much one direction or the other causes imbalance.
I do think that the "no pain, no gain" mindset is wrong. Even if everyone else out there say otherwise.
My OS told me this: if your knee is warm (compared to other knee), it's still healing. If your activity makes it warmer, it will swell, or swell more. With swelling comes pain.
Now the balance question: daily activity, plus X exercise is the right amount, plus 2X exercise is too much.
 
What I was talking about was gait training rather than various exercises. You can exercise all you want but if your gait is off, then they may not necessarily be effective. However, gait training is a type of physical therapy. It can help improve your ability to stand and walk. It may help you gain independence in walking, even if you still need an adaptive device.

I did not receive any gait training, other than your stride should be this long, and land on your heel, then toe. Besides the 6 exercises she sent me home with, I always did 3 or 4 exercises while at the PT center, as part of her response to my request for assistance with my gait.

As I have focused more on gait, I do think it has a few factors. First, I favored my left leg for 10 years, so I have some bad habits to change. Second, my pain level is a factor, no pain = best gait, some pain = poor gait. Third, trust, more mental than habit, but a factor, I now have a good left leg, trust it .

I will search for a PT to assist me, now that I better understand how to search.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lane, do you notice that I edited your post so my comment is now in a special frame we call a quote box? It would be helpful to everyone if you would do this so they know what is somebody else's comment and what is yours. You can see how to do this here How to use the quote feature
 
Josephine
I understand, never thought about the trail for others, I was trying to be concise, quoting only part of ones comments. I see now I can do that, with a quote box. Thanks for your support, in all parts of my journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom