TKR Kneeophyte’s Left TKR

If your knee is grumpy treat it with kindness and don't overdo things. You are still fairly early in recovery and building strength takes time and patience.
I used a gentle pilates based approach and still have a regular pilates practice at 3 years out.
Have a look at my pilates teacher's free classes on YouTube. Google Katja pilates and loads come up. She has a side lying quad one with no squats which is knee friendly.
 
@Kneeophyte …. It is normal for your knee to take a full year or even more to see that stiffness start to go away. But your recovery sounds great. It will be important to continue to keep those muscles stretched. Right hamstrings can impact your gait, so you’re wise to focus on them.
 
I’m now over 4 months post-TKR. I had PT through January and had good range of motion (0-125). Since ending PT, I’ve returned to more of my pre-TKR activities. Those includes doing some type of exercise nearly every day – a twice weekly strength class (squats, bridges, lunges, hamstring curls, etc. for lower body), lap swimming, or walking a couple miles.

My questions: Are my current activities enough to maintain good range of motion? Will I lose range of motion if I don’t do heel slides? If heel slides are essential, how often should I be doing those?

I’m eager to get back to hiking on non-level trails & know I need a less stiff knee and good range of motion.
 
My questions: Are my current activities enough to maintain good range of motion? Will I lose range of motion if I don’t do heel slides? If heel slides are essential, how often should I be doing those?
Your list of activities is impressive for 4 months post-TKR, so I don't think you need to worry about doing heel slides any longer.

As long as you keep moving, you are not going to lose your range of motion. In fact, most of us have found that it continues to improve -- slowly -- well past the one year mark.

Do keep in mind, though, that overdoing certain exercises (especially squats) might cause some internal inflammation that could temporarily restrict your bend. If that happens, go back to icing and elevating until it resolves.

You are doing really well. Keep us posted!
 
My questions: Are my current activities enough to maintain good range of motion? Will I lose range of motion if I don’t do heel slides?
I agree that your current range of activity is impressive for 4 months and that heel slides are not essential. Just keeping your muscles strong and using your knee for everyday activity will maintain ROM.
It is a good idea to keep up with exercise.
Studies show that most people with knee replacement have a weaker operated than non- operated leg at 1-2 years. I think a lot of people try to do too much and get put off. It really is better to consider this surgery as a marathon not a sprint.
Look at different forms of exercise and particularly ones that you enjoy and can maintain. For me it is pilates ( Google Katja pilates on YouTube to see a wide range of free classes by my excellent teacher).
 
Riding my bike was a enjoyable exercise, along with my daily activities. I just let my knee be, and used it as it was created to be used.
 
A belated Happy Four Month Anniversary!
It sounds like you're doing well. Thanks for the update...keep em' coming! :wink:
A great week to you! :thumb:
@Kneeophyte
 
I’ve nearly reached 5 months since my left TKR. I’ve returned to many of my pre-surgery fitness activities (strength training classes, lap swimming, walking). My knee hasn’t let me forget it is still in recovery – it remains much stiffer and much less willing to be kneeled on than my other knee (replaced in early 2021). But there’s less achiness now and I expect the issues with stiffness and kneeling will also keep improving.
 
Thanks for the update, @Kneeophyte. Glad to read that you are feeling well enough to get back to so many of the activities you love. And you're right that the knee function will continue to improve with time.
 
Hi :wave:
Nice to read that you're back to walking, strength training and swimming at only five months post op. That's great!
I was just talking to my dad today who had his knee replaced, two years ago this week, at the age of 86 and he maintains his knee is wonderful. He said he really noticed a positive change over the past few months, so that was in his second year. He's not the first I've heard that from so I think you have good things to look forward to, Kneeophyte.

Wishing you the best! Stay in touch, we love to read about your progress.
@Kneeophyte
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom