TKR Kneefriend's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kneefriend I had similar problems with pain down the side of my leg at about the same time as yours postop. My therapist showed me stretches to use that help to relieve the pain. I also had adhesions (scar tissue) in my knee. It limited my ROM and at a certain point bending my knee I would get severe pain at one point. I still have a bit (surgeon's opinion). I take tramadol at night so pain doesn't keep me awake. There was never any talk of further surgery. My doctor did do another X-ray and it was fine. I hope you get your answers and feel better soon.
 
@Kneefriend
I'll be interested to hear what your surgeon says.

However, I really don't think your problem is caused by nerves trapped in scar tissue.

It's far more likely to be a tendinitis, possibly due to too much exercising, and made more painful by inadequate pain relief.

Where, exactly, do you feel the pain?
 
I'm so sorry you have to go through this! I hope all goes well tomorrow and you get the answers you need. Will be thinking of you.
 
Thank you for that newlybionic. I have also been given exercises to stretch the nerve which seem to aggravate the pain but I persevere in the hope that they will help in the long run. The only real relief I get is when my leg is straight out and not moving.

Thank you for your support saultlooser.

Celle, I feel the pain on the joint line on the outside of the knee (lateral) which spreads down the outside of the leg and sometimes is felt on the top of the foot. It is an extreme, almost burning type of pain. Having the knee bent is when the pain is at its worst.

Thank you all very much.
 
You have mentioned many possibilities for you pain. I have never heard of nerve pain caused by nerves trapped in adhesions?? Did your surgeon suggest this?? It seems almost impossible to me.

Also, stretching an irritated nerve seems counter productive to me. Most nerve pain is treated with Gabipentin and rest and ice. If the nerve is irritated then stretching it would seem to irritate it more. Did the doctor suggest the stretching exercises? Perhaps stretching the IT band might help with the lateral stiffness---is that the stretching you are doing? We have a library article on IT band issues: ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments I have struggled with a tight IT band myself.

Is the surgery your physician is suggesting for adhesions? It does seem early for that type of surgery to me as well. I can understand your frustration with the lateral pain in your knee. I wonder if you have tendinitis in that side---however, the burning, shooting pain does sound like nerve pain to me as well.

I know that you have recently seen the doctor---has he been able to diagnose the cause of the pain for you?
 
Hi Everyone,
I have just returned from seeing the surgeon and from his thorough examination of me and taking detailed history and notes, he knows that it is a compressed nerve that I have and he is going to release this asap, possibly next week. It does make sense to me and I am alright now that I have spoken with him. I do trust him totally.
Obviously I am dreading further surgery no matter how minor, but I cannot continue like this. After 11 weeks the symptoms are not easing so they will not do so of their own accord now.
Thank you all for your support and information, I really do appreciate it.
I will keep you posted...
 
Holy moly - please keep us all posted. Wishing you relief from the pain, it just stinks to have to deal with yet another problem when you are already trying to recover from this major surgery.
 
Thank you Scheherazade. I appreciate the support. I must admit I am a mixture of relieved and apprehensive. The TKR has gone so very well, it is a real shame to have to go through this, but I cannot live with the amount of pain. I am sure everything will be alright afterwards.
The surgeon was extremely impressed with my walking and bending and that is good news
:yes!:
I will keep you updated :flwrysmile:
 
I have been booked on next Tuesday, 17th November for the nerve decompression. It will be an overnight stay and then continued gradual recovery. So, my stomach is doing somersaults already and I am nervous but will be so pleased to be rid of this awful pain.
Watch this space...
 
I'm sorry about your current pain. It does seem that you have your answer. I hope all goes well next week and you are back on the road to recovery.
 
Thank you very much, Newlybionic. I appreciate that.
How are you feeling now ? And how is your recovery going ?
 
@Kneefriend My recovery is the same as everyone elses. There have been good days (and nights) and bad days and nights. Eventally my good daysare out numbering my bad ones more and more!! Yours will too!#
 
Hi Everyone...
I have had the nerve decompression done on Tuesday evening, home yesterday and a new woman !!
:yahoo:I have no more excruciating nerve pain and I am happy. The result was immediate and such a relief. The surgeon released the nerve from some adhesions and generally cleared all that was necessary and is happy too. A brilliant result. I feel like I have been kicked by a horse on the lateral side of my knee but that is all. I can walk more easily, move more easily and do not need a cocktail of painkillers any more.
Good news
:yes!:
Thank you all for your support. I can now continue my full recovery and hopefully, forget about this new knee :yay::flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad the operation was so successful for you! :yes!::yay:

It's something I hadn't heard of before, so I've learned something new.
 
Than you Celle.
The surgeon said it is very unusual fortunately, and he has developed a successful way of treating it thankfully.
So, onwards and upwards now.
:SUNsmile:
 
So lucky you had a surgeon who knew what to do. Glad you feel better. Here's to a great weekend ahead.
 
Thank you Slainte.
Yes, I am fortunate and very grateful for the skill and support of my surgeon.
I went for a short walk today and am looking forward to a chilled weekend.
You too have a great weekend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom