Knee Infection* Knee rod/spacer

I'm so sorry you've had such a difficult time. I'm going to tag @KarriB for you as she's gone through similar problems and can advise you. Please take care and keep us posted. I'm also going to leave you our recovery guidelines to read. Would you also please give us your latest surgery dates, along with the procedures so we may update your signature?

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Hi @gorskyl1

I'm sorry you now have a knee infection. Although it takes a long time, the two-stage method your surgeon is using is very effective at beating the infection.
Do you have an Infectious Disease doctor on your team? He/she will be the best-qualified person to assess the results of your tests and to recommend the most appropriate antibiotics.


You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I’m so sorry you’re going through another infection and have had several blood clots. :console2:
 
Hi @gorskyl1 Sorry you are going through this. I did have rods and a spacer. Your doctor said said full weight so you should be OK getting around. The big thing with the rods is to keep the leg straight. In small or confined spaces I was OK without the crutches. Did the doctor put a brace on your to keep it straight/immobile?
 
Hi, Peggy-he did put an immobilizer on and didn’t give much other information other than full weight bearing. I wasn’t sure if it will be easier as time goes along to move about without a walker. I’m still in quite a bit of pain and still taking pain meds regularly so I’m not in any hurry to progress to anything less than the walker. I really appreciate your input and help.
Lisa
 
Really..take your time with it. They had me in a plastic brace from toe to thigh (almost like a plastic cast) and had to go no weight on it for 12 weeks. I had some other issues with the leg that caused that. Once I was told I could put weight on it I just kind of hobbled around in small areas. Any great distances I had the wheelchair and crutches. I remember the PA telling me that she had seen people come in with the rods broken so I tended to be careful with the leg. I know the long process is frustrating and depressing but try not to let it get you too down. I was just happy it was "fixable" and only temporary. I was lucky that I worked remotely from home so I had something to keep me busy and my bosses were able to pitch in at times when needed. Hopefully you have some things you can do to help keep occupied.
 
Gorsky, when was your infection surgery? I had an infection 4 months after TKR surgery and had a washout/debridement immediately. Like you I was full weight bearing, had an immbolizer 24/7 which caused me to walk like a peg leg pirate and used a cane. The immbolizer was on for 4-6 weeks, because around week 4 I began to wean off it but not wearing the immbolizer at all was uncomfortable. My leg had lost a great deal of strength a d felt like a wet noodle without the immbolizer.

It took a while but I have all the ROM I need for everyday life. My OS said he’d be happy with 90 degrees, but I have more than that. I can cycle, walk, swim and my TKR actually has better ROM than my natural knee. It did take longer, over 18 months and lots of patience, but was totally worth it.
 
Back
Top Bottom