Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Knee revision “1st night”

Hi skicubad, thanks mate, feel good today doing exercises as I’m writing. Looking forward to full recovery. My surgeon said if I was off the morphine based meds I could start to drive next week. I might start my own pool based exercises next week as long as my scabs heal up by then. I like to swim, so hope to include that as well. Everything looks to be healing well. I will start slow as progression is gentle.
 
You are doing very well. Congratulations. It’s great to have someone reporting a recovery that is allowing a gradual return to normal activities with virtually no issues.
 
Leg wound looks to be healing well. I hope to swim next week.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Knee revision “1st night”
    IMG_0713.webp
    113 KB · Views: 14
Hi Jamie, Yes this going better than I expected as well as my surgeon. Dr Darren Chen thinks my bend is better than what I started with, so very happy with recovery. Much faster than with original TKR.
 
You seem to be doing phenomenally well! Wonderful updates, Aussie Bill.
Please do get a nod from your surgeon though before returning to pool. I felt my surgeon was overly cautious about this and while I was allowed to shower right away, he advised against sitting in any body of water from a bathtub to pools, lakes etc. for a period of....THREE MONTHS! :groan:
Crazy huh? I felt it was extreme, but I obliged only because I figured if my wound became infected I couldn't blame anyone but myself. So please check before returning to the water.
@Aussie Bill
 
Hi Layla, just checked info from Dr Chen. He says to wear a dressing over wound if submerged in water over the next 2 weeks, then it’s OK to wear nothing at all. So maybe next week I wear a watertight dressing next week or delay for a week. Public pools in Australia have a high amount of chlorine or the other option is an ocean pool near my house. Hardly any openings now healing well. I can wait till no more scabs present. Looking good for two weeks post operation.
[Bonesmart.org] Knee revision “1st night”
 
So glad you checked your doctors information, better safe than sorry.
Yes, it's looking good for only two weeks post op. :thumb: Enjoy the weekend!
@Aussie Bill
 
Most definitely looking good for only two weeks out! You are doing things right.
 
Hi Aussie Bill! Look forward to your ongoing updates. the option of an ocean swimming pool (i think that's what you said) is enviable! glad to hear your recovery is going so well!
 
Hi FleuveStone. We live in Helensburgh about 2 miles from the coast atop an escarpment. Some properties in town look out at the Pacific, but ours does not instead we are above the Train Station on the ridge line. We have great views of our little valley. Yes the ocean pools are along the coast heading South toward Wollongong. Each is somewhat unique with concrete poured at low tide. The ocean waves crash into the pools adding fresh ocean water. Great for swimming or walking in. Love our area. We have surfing with offshore winds, paragliding and hang gliding with onshore winds, body surfing, swimming and excellent pubs and clubs to eat at and look out to sea. Some people do kite or wind surfing as well. Nice clean beaches to relax on too and the Sea Cliff Bridge is just down the road from us. Photo is from Bald Hill about a 6 minute drive from here.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Knee revision “1st night”
    Bald_Hill_Pano1.webp
    127.3 KB · Views: 19
Oh my, what a blessed area you are living in, and those photos are beautiful! Those salt water pools sound really interesting, and extra relaxing. Salt is also healing. As a kid, we'd go to Nags Head, NC, right on the Atlantic ocean. Any booboos I had would heal really quickly after swimming in the ocean.
 
Golden hour at its finest. Love the beautiful sunset photo, and the seascape pic also, Aussie Bill. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you live in a lovely area with a bit of everything! Lots of scenic beauty to gaze upon as you're healing. I hope this week of recovery is an easy one for you. Take good care!
@Aussie Bill
 
Hi, hey 20 days post op. My wife is concerned that I’m doing too much. Just your opinions. My knee is not very sore at the moment. Stopped taking morphine/strong pain killers 5 days ago, just Panadol and sleeping OK. Yesterday and this afternoon gone for 2K walk around the block: 27 minutes. Icing joint now, not very sore, but feels better iced. I’m also doing my stretching/strength exercises at least one session a day. My goal is to be back at work in 3 weeks standing most of a 7.5 hr shift. What do you think?
 
I do admire your enthusiasm, AB, but I can see where your wife may be concerned. You are doing great, and have healthy motivation, but I'd hate to see you backslide, sidelining yourself and stalling your progress. Your goal of returning to work at six weeks post op and standing for most of a 7.5 hr shift is a lofty one. We normally recommend twelve weeks off, with a gradual return, with the understanding that does not work for everyone.
You can check out the Activity Progression for TKR which is a rough guideline for activity in the initial weeks of recovery, some excel, like you, and others lag behind, and both are ok as long as you're making steady progress. Article -> HERE

Given you're recovering from a revision, the slow / steady approach is best so everything heals the way it should. Don't like to slow you down, but want to make sure you protect the great progress you've already made.

Aussie Bill, I love the support you're offering others on the forum, your cheerful posts are a joy to read and it's people like you that make BoneSmart the great community that it is, so thank you for sharing your journey with all and for lifting others as they're healing!

May today be a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Aussie Bill
 
Hey guys 4 weeks from surgery today. Walking around the block daily or forest walk - both about 2K’s 30+ minutes, went for PT and Hydrotherapy sessions on Monday and Wednesday at Rehabilitation Area at hospital. PT pushed me to get 122 and -5, but a bit sore still from Wednesday’s session. Just not sleeping through, so taking a break here and taking some Panadol to help sleep. I need to emphasise to PT that my goal is to get my quads stronger not getting ultimate bend. Happy with what I had before the joint broke which was 115. An angry joint is not the point. I know this but also competitive people pleaser.
It’s not that bad just some swelling on the outside which wasn’t there earlier in the week. Cryocast really helps me with the cold and pressure to calm it down. I think I’m still on track to go back to work in 2 weeks. My surgeon said I could go in the pool starting next week, so that’s the plan. A side note - my Surgeon Dr. Darren Chen is a machine - he did 5 TKR surgeries on the 20th of March, 2 of the ladies done on the same day as me at the same PT / Hydrotherapy. One with both left and right, Amazing he got us all done on the same day. These ladies are doing great walking without aids and being active, with good bend and off the pain killers. Much better than I was 1st go. Sydney Knee Specialists they do a fantastic job in my opinion.
One lady wants to get back to weight training already, but was saying her knee gets swollen doing chores around the house. I told her to give it time to heal and perhaps I should take my own advise and go slower. Walking does not irritate the joint.
 
I told her to give it time to heal and perhaps I should take my own advise and go slower.
Great advice -- for BOTH of you!

Remember: it takes soft tissues about 12 weeks to fully heal from the surgical trauma they endured from all that pushing and pulling and stretching that your surgeon did. Icing and elevating will help, but time is the best medicine.

Sounds like you are doing really well, so no need to push.
 
Forest walk...that sounds very peaceful. Quiet I'll bet, and cooler.
I need to emphasise to PT that my goal is to get my quads stronger not getting ultimate bend. Happy with what I had before the joint broke which was 115. An angry joint is not the point. I know this but also competitive people pleaser.
It all about listening to your body rather than allowing PT to push till you cry UNCLE. :wink:

Love that you will have a couple of people in your hydrotherapy that had their knees done the same day you did.
You can compare recoveries, the thing we caution everyone to avoid doing, but we all seem to do it anyway :heehee:

I'm going to forward your OS's name and clinic info to Admin. It's good to have the names of highly respected surgeons. Never know when we'll have our next Sydney member, since you're not the first, AussieBill. You're a pleasure to follow so thanks for documenting your healing journey here. Enjoy the hydrotherapy!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom