Guest viewing is limited

Knee replacement

When any of you were told that you needed a TKR? did your knee actually seem to not be hurting as much? I swear the last week I thought "well, it doesn't seem to be hurting too much maybe I don't need to get this done."
From what I have read, many other forum members have said, "Why do I need a TKR---it is not hurting that much."

Sometimes the pain comes and goes---mine, well, my knees did not hurt all of the time---but when they did, the pain could be excruciating---sleeping was horrible, and working in a field on the farm would cause lightening bolts of pain in both knees. but as for just walking, it was not all that bad.

However, I saw what I wanted to do---my activities---becoming tremendously painful and slipping away from me, and I longed for a good night's sleep--and I knew what I needed.

I know,sounds a little crazy but…...,
Not at all crazy ---if you read other threads---and go back and browse other, older threads, you will find the same question.

The point of the matter is this, though---the nee will not get any better, and it will not magically repair itself overnight. A TKR is the last---and the best alternative.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of something that happened a couple of months pre-surgery. I too was feeling "well, it's not hurting much now". I was walking across a parking lot and noticed a man walking with a cane who very obviously needed it. A few minutes later in the store he looked at me and said "I think you need this more than I do". I thought I was having a good day and this man was ready to hand his cane over to me!
 
Well. I went to my OS appt today, list in hand. 45 min later, I was given my packet of info for my July 28th scheduled TKR Surgery. He put my mind at ease and frankly, so did you! Strangely, I feel better now! Not half as nervous as I was.
 
@bumknees09
Yes thus surgery is hard, and I was told to wait as long as I could to have it due due to my age, but the was ruling my life so at that point, I grovelled to the OS in order to get it done uickly. This forum has given me more information than my OS, so I highly recommend you stay with us way after the surgery is done for support and answers for any questions up you might have.

I was nervous, and 3 weeks post op I still am. Each day brings something new. So many different kinds of pain going ON, now manageable , but sleep eludes me still. I will follow you to give whatever advice I can give, and to support you when you need it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Quasi , all day I've been having major anxiety about my surgery. It's not till July 28th. Seems like a year away. I cannot back out, I know and deep down I know it has to be done but boy oh boy are you people brave. I've never felt like such a wimp in my life. I marvel and applaud all of you who have had this surgery. I need to get my brave shoes on!
 
@bumknees09, I'm 12 days out from my BTKR surgery and I can honestly say the worst thing about it was the darn rash I got afterwards because of a reaction to Percocet! Other than that, it really hasn't been too bad. I didn't sleep well in the hospital (who does?) due to the rash, never being able to find a comfortable position, and people bothering me every couple of hours for respiratory therapy, checking my vitals, etc.

Now that I'm home, I feel pretty good. I have a comfortable bed and recliner so I have two places to sit and/or sleep. The pain isn't bad - certainly no worse than I had prior to the surgery after a trip to the grocery store. I'm getting around the house pretty well and am already able to get in and out of bed without using anything to help lift my legs.

I would definitely advise you to get your body as ready as possible prior to the surgery. Look at the article "Pre-surgery Exercises for TKR Patients" in the forum library - I did those and added wall push-ups for upper body strength. The stronger you are before the surgery, the better off you'll be afterwards.
 
@LauraLeigh. Thank you for that post. Super nice of you. Clearly my anxiety about this gets the best of me sometimes. I am exercising 5 days a week religiously. I have added in a lot more upper body work, due to suggestions on this forum. This has really been a Godsend for me. Happy for you that your recovery sounds like it's going really well!!
 
@LauraLeigh- just realized you had BTKR!! My God, you people are like superheroes! I'm crabbing about getting one done. Whoa!!
 
@bumknees09 - you know, everyone keeps telling me I'm so brave for doing both but I think the people who do one and then the other within a matter of weeks are WAY more brave. To have just done one and then gone through recovery and 6 weeks later have the other done - that's tough!

Mine was a matter of practicality: I can't take 8-12 weeks off work twice in one year and both knees were bone on bone so I figured I'd just get it over with. I'm young (47) and in decent health so I hoped I wouldn't have too much trouble with the recovery. I admit, some days were tough - but again mostly because of the rash! Come to think of it, I had surgery on a torn ligament in my right ankle two years ago and that recovery was tougher because I couldn't put any weight on that foot for a couple of weeks. Have you ever tried getting up from the toilet when you can't put one foot on the ground? It's hard to do!

Really the only pain I've had the last few days is more just a tightness across each knee; obviously there's still some swelling but not nearly as much since I've been home and able to elevate as much as I can. Of course I'm still on Dilaudid for my pain but I've cut back from two pills every four hours to one pill; next I'll try stretching it to 6 hours. I know that's supposed to be a pretty heavy-duty painkiller but I'd been taking the highest dose of hydrocodone for years. I think I react differently to pain meds than some people; I don't get woozy or anything on Dilaudid at all. I'm still doing a lot of reading every day; I don't have any trouble concentrating and it doesn't knock me out.

I wish you luck with your surgery -- it's good that you have lots of time to prepare yourself physically and mentally. Aside from the forum, I would also recommend the book "Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation" by Daniel Brugioni. It's very informative and has lots of good
exercises for rehab.
 
For me the bilateral was desperation more than anything. Neither knee would have supported the weight to recover one.
 
msmechanic58 how are you? I had BTKR in January and will be glad to make you feel better any time. I am a side sleeper too, and eventually could get on my left side to sleep for short periods. Turning on my rt side was harder, don't know why. I did use pillows between my knees for support, but usually did not rest one knee/leg up on the other, I separated them a bit so there was no pressure points.

You do toss and turn and move for awhile. I promise you will be sleeping back on your sides again and not be uncomfortable. I finally do not have any knee pain waking me up anymore. I have two more PT appts. and then doctor says I can do the rest on my own. He said I am ahead by a month or more in my recovery and my range of motion. I want you to know you will heal, you will be able to walk and do more without pain, I am living proof of that. I had bone one bone both knees. Oh and I gained 1 1/2 inches in my height. too funny.

Sending you healing wishes and continued rest. Rest is so important. write anytime, Kim
 
My knee's reaction was the complete opposite, bumknees! It's too funny to consider how our bodies physically react to our mental/emotional revelations. My poor left knee (can't remember what the right one did all those years ago) just about jumped up and thanked my brain for its smart thinking and my heart for its courage! My knee seemed to lose "heart" once I scheduled the surgery. It may have not hurt more, but it certainly didn't feel as strong as it once was. I think my knees, independently, "surrendered," knowing I was finally going to take care of them.

I do remember thinking, several times, that, "It's not that bad yet." I know that this can be considered "stinking thinking." It really was a matter of courage, being tired of feeling limited in my active life, and figuring out when to schedule surgery so the recovery, which was a challenge last time and promises to be so again (stiffness, tight muscles, relearning to walk, spending time away from the things I most love to do, etc.), would interfere as little as possible with work, seasonal fun, etc.

But, I'm trying to keep my knee surrounded by white light to aid recovery emotionally, to do the exercises my PT advises, to eat well, to ice often and to keep my feet up a soften as I can. Certainly, I overdo from time to time, become impatient with myself and the recovery process, which seems to move like a glacier initially. Then, I slow down and regroup, always, as previously said, keeping my eye on the future-

Hugs-
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom