TKR Knee pain

Time to heal and patience to give ourselves the time and kindness to accept that we will need time. Listen to your knee and your body and take it easy so it does not get cranky with you. Emotion roller coaster is part of the recovery journey also but it will also pass with time.

My knees forced me to learn more about patience than anything else had done. I hope with the break from all the activity and more elevation and icing and rest your knee gets less cranky. Go slow and you still will get through recovery. Be kind to yourself as recovery can be a difficult road some days.

I hope your day is a peaceful one. :console2::flwrysmile:
 
Hi!
Is it normal for my knee to get very stiff when I am walking? I did not go to PT for a week and I am trying to walk each day, but my knee is so stiff it doesn’t move. It’s frustrating because it is ten weeks from my surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions?
 
Your knee is getting stiff because it's swelling. Swelling causes stiffness. Even if you can't see the swelling on the outside the inside of your knee can have fluid in it. That's a small space in there and even a little bit of fluid will restrict movements.
 
The knees get cranky if we do more than they are ready to do. You did not say if you were walking a lot at this stage. Also, I hope you are continuing to ice and elevate regularly and especially after walking. The ice and elevation are so great in reducing the swelling and discomfort.

Yes, it is 10 weeks but it is also a major surgery even if we get to go home so quickly afterward. Our bodies and knees know how much carpentry was done and need time to heal fully. Recovery can take up to a year and sometimes longer for full recovery. This of course does not mean you will not keep improving but it will take time to fully recover.
 
Hi
I am only walking about 1/4 mile. I do ice three times daily, especially after walking. I just didn’t know if was because I stopped my PT and my knee was getting worse because of it.
 
@Winston0915 my first knee at 10 weeks was just like yours. Activity of any kind made it stiff, tender and swell. Standing for any length of time did the same and made me so angry. I mean really, I can't stand longer than 10 minutes without stiffness? With time it got better and I learned to sit to do some prep. Just five minutes off my feet would give me more time on my feet. I adapted and before I knew it I could stand longer, walk farther, need less icing etc. It was a long haul but I continued to make progress, you will too. I won't tell you to be patient because I was far from patient and at times downright furious. Can't believe I did it again lol.
 
Thank you! I appreciate the input, I just was concerned I was going backwards.
 
So often in the many weeks (sometimes months) of recovery it feels like "two steps forward..one step back". However, I am now 4 months post op and finally feel like I'm heading in the right direction. Was up until 3 months post op that I was still questioning "Why did I do this and Am I ever going to feel better"?
This journey requires a lot of time and patience...and a few tears along the way...:boohoo:but hopefully the end result is all worth it. When they say it can take a year to fully recover...they aren't kidding!!
 
Thank you, I was worried because before my tkr I did not walk or drive for two months because my knee was completely incapacitated. I would of had the surgery in March but our hospital stopped doing electives. And everything I am reading says that that is not a good situation. That I might not get normal function back in my knee. My surgeon wants me to do aggressive PT, but I am in excruciating pain when I do it, which is 3x per week. I decided last week to back off and follow the advice of Bonesmart. My knee is not as painful as it was, but the tightness is increasing, and I didn’t know if it was because I stopped PT. I just don’t want to make a mistake and I do appreciate everyone’s input.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom