Guest viewing is limited

TKR Knee pain

Hi! I have been in pain for five days now, I went to Ortho Surgeon on Tuesday, I explained my outer right knee was hurting, it felt like it was being stretched out. At night I cry because it hurts so bad. I do take my pain medicine as prescribed. My surgeon maneuvered my leg around (which caused more pain) and said everything was okay. Hi said my IT band was loaded with arthritis and he had to scrape it and stretch it. I am so nervous it is not going to heal and the pain will always be. Has anyone else had this? If so how long did it take to heal?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Winston0915 You are only days out of major surgery. The best advice I can offer is to accept that you must take the time to recover. Ice, elevate, take your pain medication and rest. Focus on getting control of this pain and then move forward. It takes tons of patience - I know.
 
Winston0915
Wow! Two weeks! Agree with other Bonesmarties; two weeks I was just trying to shower. My PT and surgeon never touched my knee or tried to bend it. If my PT hurt I was told to take a day off a particular exercise. I iced and elevated (with slightly bent knee) and was gently with myself although very frustrated with the slow recovery. But here I am to tell you that in a few months you will not believe how far you have come. The first weeks are very difficult but go quickly.
 
I am better. PT and surgeon reviewed care plan, due to discrepancies in what each wanted me to do. Both realized they were causing more complications than helping. Surgeon wanted me using a cane, but PT said it was too soon. This was one of many differences of opinions and I am at the receiving end. What PT didn’t realize was I was supposed to have a knee replacement in March but co-vid happened. By the time it was done the damage was extensive. This forum has really helped me find my voice and speak up to both. I want to be patient with myself and my knee, and I want to heal properly. So thank you for helping to guide those of us who get lost at times.
 
Hello Winston, Please listen to the wise advisors here. It was due to their help I have come this far and learned not to allow anyone-doctor included to hurt me. I am two weeks or so beyond you and cannot even imagine going back to work. It's a long road ahead and none of us want to mess up what we have come through so rest, elevate, and ice. Everyone here cares about one another. I hope you enjoyed your shower.

Mamie
 
It sounds like you're getting on the right track @Winston0915 as your PT and surgeon get on the same page. Hang in there!
 
Hi, I am three weeks out tomorrow from my surgery, it’s been a roller coaster ride. I started having stomach issues three days ago, due to the Celebrex. My surgeon and I knew that this could happen due to other medical conditions but we agreed to try it as long as I could tolerate the medicine. Today I had to stop the Celebrex. Unfortunately I cannot take NSAIDS or anti inflammatory medicine. Has anyone else gone through the process without these medications? I am so worried about the swelling. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
I was not prescribed any anti inflammatory medications for either of my knee replacements. I did get pain medication and Tylenol and these worked for me. The medications don't do as much for swelling as does elevation and icing. I iced pretty much non stop when sitting, reclining or laying down including nights. I also spent a lot of time elevating to keep the swelling down. Take a walk, sit up for bit and then immediately more elevation and ice. It really did the trick for me. I hope your stomach feels better with the stopping of Celebrex.
 
I did my second tkr without anti-inflammatories and had the same recovery as with them.
 
I also did without the anti-inflammatories after my surgery. My OS said it slowed down bone healing and I didn't want to chance it.
 
Hi, has anyone had an issue with their IT Band after knee replacement. I had my surgery on August 5th, I have had a few set backs with my Sciatica which I am seeing a Chiropractor for, and my IT Band on the outer side of my knee, it is very painful and it is limiting my PT therapy, I would greatly appreciate any input, it’s very discouraging not to be able to move forward. I do elevate and ice many times throughout the day and night.
 
I had a problem with my IT band after my first surgery. My PT helped me out with that problem. He used something that looked like a rolling pin to massage it by rolling it up and down on my IT band. That did hurt but afterwards I felt much better.
 
Thank you, I will ask my physical therapist tomorrow.
 
Hello Winston. I have had pain pretty severe with the IT Band. My PT has been doing deep massages and it does hurt and swells but after icing, it gets better and its not so tight. But they do this twice a week with me. It seems to improve. I sincerely hope you feel better soon. I was told it is also responsible for bending until it improves. You are not even two weeks so please. do rest, ice and elevate. The advisors here are so helpful and remind most of us we need to not push. Check out their PT recommendations. You will be happy you did.

Good Luck!
Mamie
 
I read about IT band often. What exactly is that?
How are you doing Winston? Feeling better I hope
 
Hi, I am really having a hard time. My sciatica and it band are both inflamed. My PT said I have to keep exercising due to scar tissue build up and issues with flexing my knee. It’s very discouraging and overwhelming, my pain medication s constant and unrelenting. I had to come off all my pain medication because of the side effects. The Surgeon was concerned and not comfortable with me remaining on the meds. He tried to switch my meds but it didn’t work. Do now I take Tylenol three times a day and just try to deal with the pain, hopefully this resolves soon.
 
If you have sciatic and IT band pain please stop all that PT and rest. You can't build up scar tissue in a matter of days! Rest, ice and elevate until you get this pain under control.

How much Tylenol are you taking and how often?
 
Three times a day 1000 mg at a time , 8 hours apart.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom