Guest viewing is limited

TKR Knee Number 2!

Hi Penelope Anne,
Progress is good. Slowly but surely you're getting there.
It's only been two months, not too long in the entire scheme of things. I hope you stay in touch and have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Penelope Anne
 
Oh dear, I seem to be whining again! My knee is gradually improving but my lower back is really painful. The muscles are so tight and go into spasm. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel as though I take two steps forward and one and three quarters back! I’m now 11 weeks post op and really feel I’m not where I should be. I’m fairly convinced that the back problems are connected with altered gait and limping and even the actual operation when all the soft tissue was moved and stretched. But I’m so fed up - and feeling sorry for myself!
 
Thank you. I just don’t know how to ease the back pain which is really debilitating. Is lower back pain common after TKR?
 
Oh dear, I seem to be whining again! My knee is gradually improving but my lower back is really painful. The muscles are so tight and go into spasm. Has anyone else experienced this
I know what you mean.
I have lumbar arthritis and spinal stenosis.
I found my back was bad in the early weeks post op. Mainly because it was hard to get down on the floor to do back exercises/ pilates.
I carried on with Naproxen after my knee wasn't that painful- mainly for my back.
I also found a special U shaped memory cushion helped when sitting- to relieve my sciatica.
It did ease once I was able to get on the floor to do back work- but in the early stages it felt like one thing after another....
You are also right that trying to protect your healing knee can put extra pressure on other joints. It's really tough.
 
Yes, when our bodies slowly adapt to compensating for knee arthritis, and then all at once in OR our structure is reset, the effects reverberate throughout our muscles and tendons, and via them, hips, pelvis, even spine can feel it. Then things continue to be unsettled and changeable especially throughout these earlier months of recovery.

Add to that there's the fact that we spend more time lying and sitting and lounging (I'm not convinced my beloved recliner was great for my back and neck) and without good opportunities to stretch our bodies.

In addition to over the counter pain and anti-inflammatory meds, I'd recommend heat and, if you can arrange it, massage.
 
Every time my back acts up I find my glutes (outside hip/butt) muscles and muscles on front of hip are tight. But it has been so frustrating not being able to do my usual stretch called figure 4/thread the needle as it hurts knee. But I have been able to lie down, lift leg straight, then cross it over other leg and do kind of a twist so I feel it stretch the outside of my hip. And also standing put my leg back and tilt pelvis to stretch in front. I can’t say that would work for you but figured I’d commiserate and share what helps me. Oh I also have a long skinny hot water bottle that I can tie around my hips/waist that I use while icing my knee. Isn’t is amazing and frustrating how one body part can mess everything else up so easily!
 
Every time my back acts up I find my glutes (outside hip/butt) muscles and muscles on front of hip are tight. But it has been so frustrating not being able to do my usual stretch called figure 4/thread the needle as it hurts knee. But I have been able to lie down, lift leg straight, then cross it over other leg and do kind of a twist so I feel it stretch the outside of my hip. And also standing put my leg back and tilt pelvis to stretch in front. I can’t say that would work for you but figured I’d commiserate and share what helps me. Oh I also have a long skinny hot water bottle that I can tie around my hips/waist that I use while icing my knee. Isn’t is amazing and frustrating how one body part can mess everything else up so easily!
I think every single muscle is tight tbh. I’m using a hot water bottle and trying to stretch but my back seems to be on a hair trigger at the moment. I’m going to the physio tomorrow to see if he can help. Thank you for your commiseration and I hope you yourself are doing well now.
 
Yes, when our bodies slowly adapt to compensating for knee arthritis, and then all at once in OR our structure is reset, the effects reverberate throughout our muscles and tendons, and via them, hips, pelvis, even spine can feel it. Then things continue to be unsettled and changeable especially throughout these earlier months of recovery.

Add to that there's the fact that we spend more time lying and sitting and lounging (I'm not convinced my beloved recliner was great for my back and neck) and without good opportunities to stretch our bodies.

In addition to over the counter pain and anti-inflammatory meds, I'd recommend heat and, if you can arrange it, massage.
Yes I think you’re right - every single bit of soft tissue from my waist down feels tight and bad tempered! My lower back goes into spasm at the slightest bit of wrong movement. And yes, lounging around is probably unhelpful…
I’m using a hot water bottle and going to the physio tomorrow.
Thank you for your kind words.
 
Hi Penelope Anne. I am sorry you're struggling with the back issues. I hope you've found some relief through Physio and self care since you last posted. :fingersx: Stopping by to say :hi:and wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! Have a good week! :)
@Penelope Anne
 
Hi Layla and thank you for asking. Unfortunately there is still a lot of lower back pain and my operated knee is still tender …. All in all, I’m getting very fed up! My physio says that there is no mechanical problem and that soft tissue can take time. The lower back is probably to do with realignment after the two knee replacements. He says to just keep on and hopefully it will all resolve. Fingers crossed!!!!
 
Sadly this can take time and you're only four months into what is a full year recovery for many. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too, Penelope Anne! :fingersx: Take care and stay in touch. We'll be here.
@Penelope Anne
 
I’ve been soldiering on.
Now 2.5 years after right tkr and 1.5 after left tkr. The good news is that life is definitely so much better than before the operations. I have pretty much got my life back and am now able to enjoy travel and other activities as well as work. I am a tv director and need to be on my feet a lot. The work day is no longer dominated by wondering how I manage the pain of arthritis and keep going.
However, )and there always seems to be a however!) lately I am getting a sharp pain in the oldest new knee when I stand up after being seated for a while. This goes if I massage the area and walk for a short while. Is this some sort of spasm? Do I need to worry about it? The joint feels stable and no apparent weakness
 
Hi Penelope Anne...Thanks for stopping by with a progress report. It's nice to hear from you.
Try a little massage and stretching before you rise after being off your feet for a length of time and see if it helps.
If the right knee pain continues to concern you, consider checking in with your surgeon's office for some advice and reassurance.

Great to read you're active and doing well, back at work and traveling.
I hope you have a lovely Summer. :)
@Penelope Anne
 
Back
Top Bottom