Guest viewing is limited

THR knee / leg misalignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sommers

new member
Joined
Mar 7, 2014
Messages
9
Age
75
Location
St Louis Missouri
Gender
Male
Country
United States United States
I am 10 weeks post op (right THR on Nov 25, 2013). My right leg/knee seems to be "mis aligned" I am having some right knee pain (inside area of the knee) and some tightness and even minor swelling.

Since the surgery, I have noticed that my right foot points straight ahead when I walk (when it lands on the floor) versus my left foot (unoperated side) which angles/splays out. I never noticed how my feet landed pre surgery (why would I?) but they are certainly different now. Perhaps my right foot had been splaying out like my left pre surgery. I have always been somewhat "knock kneed" and have flat feet
I have been through PT and am now on my own and for the past month have been hitting the Y on a regular basis.

Having read through some threads here -- I believe I've been over doing it. I have developed some soreness in my hip and the knee soreness has increased. I guess I'm going to cut back on the work outs.

I have this feeling that the alignment of my right leg is different than before surgery and has caused my knee concerns. The morning after surgery my surgeon commented that my leg was crooked. I don't know why he made that comment and didn't ask at that time. I did ask at my 60 day follow up but he didn't remember making the comment. My big concern is that I'm setting my self up for some serious right knee problems and sooner rather than later

Otherwise I still have some minor swelling in the hip area and have a sensation that there is a lump in my hip - is that scar tissue -will it subside - go away?

All in all, the surgery certainly solved my lower back and hip pain but these other issues are really troubling me. And it's disappointing not to be able to hit the Y and really get back into cardio workouts.

Any feedback is sincerely appreciated Dave
 
I have noticed that my right foot points straight ahead when I walk (when it lands on the floor) versus my left foot (unoperated side) which angles/splays out. I have always been somewhat "knock kneed" and have flat feet. I have this feeling that the alignment of my right leg is different than before surgery and has caused my knee concerns.
In-toeing or out-toeing are usually not connected with arthritic hips but they can be connected with arthritic knees. Since you have always had knock knees and other issues, then it might not be connected or a problem in the knee joint has made it worse. One would need a hands on medical exam and xrays to know which applies.
I believe I've been over doing it. I have developed some soreness in my hip and the knee soreness has increased. I guess I'm going to cut back on the work outs. I have been hitting the Y on a regular basis.
At 10 weeks, you do appear to be doing rather too much.
Otherwise I still have some minor swelling in the hip area and have a sensation that there is a lump in my hip - is that scar tissue -will it subside - go away?
Some questions:
1. is the lump painful?
2. is it an actual lump or just an area of swelling
3. is it hard or can you press your finger in it?
4. if the answer to 3 is yes, does the depression left by your finger disappear immediately the finger is removed or does a depression remain for a few seconds or longer?
5. does the swelling feel warm or hot to the touch?


And then can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] knee / leg misalignment?


[Bonesmart.org] knee / leg misalignment?
 
my knees have never been arthritic. The right knee (same side as my THR) really seems/is "out of whack" and at times causes soreness there. Is it possible that when installing the implant--the leg was twisted (thus the new toe straight ahead configuration)? This is the sensation I'm getting---the leg's orientation has changed (thus the foot pointing straight to even in slightly) and this has put a new torque on the knee. Maybe I will get used to it?
Should I be consciously forcing my foot to hit the ground straight to a bit out?

as to the lump--it is not painful at all. I pressed on it and it does indent but springs back immediately. It is a bit warm
Located in the front at approx the E-R2F location---maybe a bit to the right of that spot, I guess its just some residual swelling---should I be icing it?

Finally---I didn't go to the gym yesterday----today I got up from bed and could hardly walk--the hip is extremely sore

When I was on the bike and elliptical I would never do anything that caused any discomfort to my hip or knee (I originally did do that--but just once) I've been careful with not stressing it and it would feel good throughout the exercise and immediately thereafter---it has been later in the day and especially the next day when the soreness shows up

thanks for your feedback, Josephine
 
Also--I am at 14 weeks post op --NOT 10 weeks as I originally typed. I started the gym exercise at about 11 weeks post op
 
Hi @sommers .... I too have had knee problems on my operated THR leg....I had serious bad gait problems pre surgery to which they have attributed the pain/ tightness in the knee. I'm now 6 months post op and having hydrotherapy and physical therapy..... All the PT's say is that it can take up to a year to get right.... Do hope yours gets better soon...... I also still use one crutch on longer walks to assist my gait. Take care..... Chrissie x
 
misery enjoys company ? !!
It is disappointing---I was hoping to be back to "normal" by now--or at least very close.
Maybe I'll have to get with a new PT and evaluate this. For now---I am just going to stop any cycling--cardio type machines and see if this clears up.
Its hard to accept that what little I WAS doing has caused this flare up---but I guess that's what has done it based on my reading here--tendinitis.
 
Hi @sommers, I was approximately 10 months (maybe a little more) and was very actively Nordic Walking (NW) when suddenly I contracted Trochanter Bursitis in my un-operated hip and a little in my THR hip. The only answer was to rest it. I have rested it from seriously NW for almost a year and just went about general living walking, at work, shops, markets etc.. Now I am building up my stamina on the treadmill very slowly.. It does seem one step forward, two back some times. But slow and steady have always been my mantra - I wish you luck :)
 
I can only say though @sommers that all this is so much better than that awful bone on bone pain that I had prior to THR..... I used to dread getting 'stuck' and not being able to move.... Not sleeping due to pain ..... Not wanting to socialise because it all hurt too much. So.....I will happily carry on with these ' lesser ailments' and hope they go in time... And I'm sure they will.... And so will yours ....... Chrissie xxx
 
Hoppy
In no way am i suggesting that my THR was a mistake. I had gotten to the point where I had to do something to relieve the pain and stiffness in my RH. I am much better for the operation. However, I'm a bit disappointed that getting back to "normal" (pre arthritic hip)--is proving such a challenge I read the stories of a THR and then playing golf a month later---running 5 miles etc.
I'm not one of those folks---I'll just keep plugging away
thanks Dave
 
I have determined (see my other thread) that I've got some tendinitis in my hip (and knee soreness also--at times) and that I am going to suspend stationary biking and elliptical exercising for awhile and rely on my daily routine to at least get some walking exercise.\
What about stretching?
Will stretching inflame my soreness? Should I also terminate stretching until things settle down?

thanks, Dave
 
Hi I am almost 5 weeks post op and have barely any pain. If you feel uncomfortable why stretch. Why are you so consumed with the gym. I am in very good physical shape and I have not been cleared to do excercises at gym until 6 weeks post op. I had a pretty easy recovery and am back at work. I was very anxious about not being able to work out but I want to not create any undo stress on my new hip joint. I can put my palms on the floor I have 95% of pre op range of motion but I did not know I needed hip replacement had knee pain X-rays showedhip bone on bone this was in late oct had surgery in February and now I am waiting out my last week until I return to gym. I do upper body lifting sitting, and believe that all the years of working out and teaching yoga I have very good muscle memory. Why push it, if you needed a hip replacement common sense tells me that slow and steady wins the race. I am just posting this because you need some encouragement and you want to preserve the work that was done.
 
Dave I had to read your posts. When your doctor said you had a crooked leg and then he didn't remember . I don't know what to make of that. At this time I have zero swelling both legs at post op I was told were exactly both same length. I went into surgery a patient my OS said they dream of because I was low body fat and in very good health prior to surgery. I am not the kind of patient who believes the doctor is god. He is flesh and blood just like us. I had insision pain early out and still do when I wake up in the morning. For myself this was the most trauma every inflicted to my body . I must say we go in with what we have as far as health and physical ability. I never used a cane for walking and never used pt, I went to a very popular surge band followed instructions, I overdid activity in first few weeks and steped back and let healing take its couse. We are all different and have different rates of recovery . I don't believe everything I read on site like yeah I ran today 2 weeks post op, there are a lot of stuff that not make sense
 
I had no pain at 5 weeks either--and still don't I describe this as soreness--not pain and it started after I began some light gym biking and elliptical work at around 10 weeks post op.
I went to a PT facility once I was released from the home PT program and at 8 weeks was told I could do some light treadmill etc on my own (which I did)
I would like to know if by NOT stretching now--I'm retarding my progress and setting myself up for future lack of flexibility once I'm totally healed (for now--I'm just doing my daily routine --walking etc)
 
The progress of your recovery will not be affected by stretching. Most people find that they regain the full range of motion in their hips, regardless of whether or not they do stretches.
 
I think I'm reaching a conclusion that this PT effort is not worth a lot. That one should just go about their daily movements (walking etc) and forget anything further as the outcome will end up the same, anyway
What am I missing (and why go through all the PT in the first place--the in home and then at a facility)?
 
There is no reason to do formal PT. If it's something that you want to do, that's fine, but your hip will recover perfectly well without it. Outside of North America, it's not common for people to go to PT after joint replacement and they recover just as well.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk
 
and why go through all the PT in the first place--the in home and then at a facility)?

If I need a THR for my left hip (which has moderate to moderately severe OA) I will not have any PT - it added nothing to my recovery and took too much time. My surgeon did not push PT but he did write a Rx for 7 sessions of in home PT. The main benefit is to ensure that there are no complications after surgery that are going unnoticed and checking if the home is safe post-op.

Regarding your soreness, it seems to be a rebound from your activity so cutting back is the logical step. I do stretch and find it helpful for my whole body - not necessarily to gain hip ROM.
 
very interesting. This has been my first THR--so I'm new to this "game". Everybody really "beat" on me to do the full course of PT (in home then 6 weeks of a specialized joint PT facility). I feel over medicated!!
Great info here---has solved my concerns
thanks Dave
 
@sommers--I have merged your threads---please remember, we ask that you have one thread for your recovery---that way, all of the folks can see your recovery and your issues and questions and help answer your questions and deal with your concerns accordingly.
 
Hi Dave , I am sorry u are experiencing discomfort at this time. I notice tightness at insision site after walking for extended time. I believe that the healing of the surgery, the cutting and. Manipulation of tissue that surround the area that the hip was replaced takes a lot longer to completely heal, months of healing I believe are involved in the cutting of tendons and manipulation of muscle tissue to fit the implant. I know we all want to return to a normal "pain free " existence , if you have any concerns you should consult surgeons office with concerns and questions. Remember you have had a traumatic surgery and pain of exertion and getting muscle back in shape may cause a burn that not necessarily mean something is going wrong. I believe now that I am recovering from surgery that what one person says might not be what you can do at the same time interval. I find that stretching done correctly is good to help elongate muscles and to warm them up prior to and after muscle exertion. Stretching at an optimal situation is a benifit if done correctly. Being involved in fitness I am using a interval approach of walking slow to warm up, use moderate grade at moderate speed, increase grade, lower grade increase speed. I just gave you a impact free workout that helps switch up and is cardio proactive. I believe that walk slow after initial workout to slow down heart level, Rome was not built in a day, best of luck with everything. I just want to let you know that after a little after 4 weeks post op my body still has residual of anesthetic , pain meds etc and at the end of the day or even before I am sometimes to exhausted to eat. It is different for each of us. Take into account all the conversation of the super duper accomplishment people claim directly after surgury is sometimes just a matter of wishful thinking or exhageration. Take the rest if your recovery which suits you. I hope I made sense and best of luck and best of health to you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom