TKR KMLknee's Second TKR Recovery

KMLknee

Country
United States United States
Hello knee Family!
I had the second knee replacement done this morning. So far pain meds haven't wore off so I'm doing good. Lol
Surgeon also manipulated the right knee to get that last little bit of full extension so I can walk normal again. So happy about that part, except that they are both going to hurt like hell for a while. Prayers please I went ahead with the nerve block after all but he gave me a knee immobilizer to keep it stable. Took those 14 steps to the apartment like a champ. Won't be doing that again for several days. :loll:I love all of you and am grateful for your support through all of this. Warning!!! I opted for percocet vs the hydrocodone of the first one. Hydro just wasn't getting it done. But I get really emotional on percocet, so expect lots of thank yous and tears. :bawl:I guess this needs to go back to the recovery forum. I'm going to depend on one of you lovely admins to do that for me, well because I have no clue. I'll check in later when I'm more coherent.

Hi @KMLknee and :welome: to recovery.

i'm gld to hear you're doing well so far.

I've moved your post from your pre-op thread and started this recovery thread for you.

Here are your recovery guidelines - lots of helpful articles:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome to the other side! It is such a different experience the second time around, at least it was for me! I had hydro the first surgery, was fine, this time they used percocet. Not sure why the change, but whatever, it worked lol Best wishes on your recovery!

Yay, KLM, you did it- I am so proud of you- I know it was a tough decision, but you went through with it- it’s not an easy road , but the potential benefits outweigh the misery of a few months- I went back to PT today and against all odds with pain for 2 weeks after my Stupid 20 Squats to the floor that I did , both Rom & extension were surprisingly good. My PT said he could not believe how straight my gait is now!
Take care of yourself, take all your meds on time and keep in touch!

Best wishes for your newest recovery, and for the first one to continue!

Ohhhh. That was a rough night. The left TKR if yesterday is doing great. Minimal pain. The right knee with the MUA hurts like hell and isn't able to fully support my weight. It won't the battle of the ice machine last night. Lol
Now the bad news. In home PT called and he will be here around 11. His name is Mark and he saw me in my final visit last time. He is awful. He will be my permanent therapist because the man I had before is on vacation. He doesn't measure correctly. He uses the goniomiter on the top of my leg. Well my thigh is much bigger than my lower leg and with swelling in top of it, it is not an accurate measure. I was at 98° the day before he came last time and he measured me at 70°. He is abrupt, not rude but rushes and has a demanding tone. Our personalities definitely do not mesh well. It is too late today but I am going to call VNA and request someone else. I will probably tell him that he is measuring incorrectly today because I'm pretty outspoken. I'm having major anxiety at the thought of having to spend two weeks with him. Thanks for listening as always.

Good luck with PT. Still amazes me how different they can be. Take care of yourself

PT just left. He was better today. Measured the way I asked him to. Rt knee (MUA) 4° and 100°. Left knee (new surgery 0° and 110°. I'm ok with that. The nerve block in the left is not completely work off so we will see how pain goes.

Last edited:
Our personalities definitely do not mesh well. It is too late today but I am going to call VNA and request someone else. I will probably tell him that he is measuring incorrectly today because I'm pretty outspoken. I'm having major anxiety at the thought of having to spend two weeks with him.
I'm glad your first session with this PT went better than you were expecting.
Be prepared for your ROM to decrease in the next few days as increased activity makes your nee swell more. That's normal and nothing to worry about. It's far too early to be following the ROM numbers game.

If other PT sessions are less helpful than the first one, remember that you don't have to have this man at all. It's your life and your knee and you are the only one who has the right to say what happens to it. You have every right to tell him not to come.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Your PT is supposed to work for you. You don't have to please him. He has to please you.

PT therapy isn't necessary so early in recovery anyway. All your knee needs right now is lots of rest, ice and elevation, and just the gentle movement it will get as you walk around your house.

Measuring ROM this early in recovery is rather a waste of time, as swelling is going to prevent your knee from bending much. In any case, there's no need to rush to get ROM, no deadline you have to meet, because ROM can continue to increase for a full year after surgery..

Holy ****!!!! Nerve block has worn off. It's so much worse than I remember. The right leg is swollen and angry too. My thighs are spasming beyond belief and I'm nauseous. Pain meds don't seem to be touching it. I'm in tears and my husband keeps telling me to stop crying for no reason. Crying isn't gonna make it better. I want to hit him in his eye!!!! He's helping me and doing everything for me he just doesn't do tears well. I can't wait till he had his done lol. I'm sure I'm going to live but it doesn't feel like it right now. How long does this last again???? :rotfl:
I'm trying to laugh about it. This to shall pass.

I’m sorry it’s so rough, there are no words to describe the first few days of pain. It’s good to cry and release the emotions from the pain. Did you spend the night in the hospital or go home the same day? I hated when the nerve block wore off and they gave me a shorter acting 1 on my 2nd surgery and I was not happy. Wish they could just give nerve blocks for the first 2 weeks after surgery. Hang in there!

@Peaches0000 I went home same day about 6 hrs after surgery. Amen to the 2 week nerve block. I truly forgot that it was this bad. I got this just not convinced at the moment! :heehee:

Last edited:
You will be glad in about 3 months that you did it- lol- honestly, I had to do them as close as possible, I don’t think I could build up the nerve again- Do you have to go back to work? My Dr. made me go back to work after 6 weeks , I told him I wasn’t ready , but I think it makes him feel like he dId such a great job, and you recovered quickly from his surgery by going back to work full time! It slowed my recovery to a turtle pace. I work 40 hours a week at a super demanding job and all I do is dream about going home and icing my poor knees all day long! hahaha

@SpaceGirl I had hydro with my right knee that was replaced in Oct ‘19. It gave me terrible nausea.
Now I’m preparing for my left knee replacement that will probably be done in about 6 months.
Did Percocet give you any nausea??

@SpaceGirl , percocet makes me a little nauseous, but the hydrocodone the last time wasn't really strong enough so Dr. switched it. I hope your left knee goes well.

@Peaches0000 , no thankfully I'm retired. I clean houses for people, well I used to. But I can't imagine doing that in 6 weeks. I haven't done any of that since the first surgery in May.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning. I went to the bathroom and then the kitchen to exchange my water bottles. By the time I got that done, got back in bed with my legs elevated and covered up 22 minutes had passed. I'm really moving now :rotfl: NOT!!!
:chuckmarch::heehee::loll:

Ohhhh. That was a rough night. The left TKR if yesterday is doing great. Minimal pain. The right knee with the MUA hurts like hell and isn't able to fully support my weight. It won't the battle of the ice machine last night. Lol

I hope it goes well with PT. I am having my left done Oct 13. I’ve ordered goniometer off Amazon($7) and I’m going to do my own PT.

The real benefit comes from our own consistent efforts in between PT visits. Remember you’re in charge and have the right to say no to anything. Take care.

Thanks KLM & Starsfan, I didn’t mean to hi-jack your recovery thread- think It’s been a long, hard week-LOL
Hope you got a nap in today, Those first days are rough ones, try not to overdue the PT, it’s so hard not to follow the Dr & PT,s orders, but in my heart, the Bonesmart way works the best- I went back to PT wed after a 2 week break and my legs are still hurting 2 days later and It wasn’t even a hard work out- it’s so discouraging!
He was really Happy how straight I can walk now- it only took 3 months, 27 PT visits, a couple of tons of ice, several bottles of pills, and a few hundred crying jags- LOL

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom