TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

:wow:
Great seven week update!

Yes, massage with those two things will surely help the scar, as will the normal knee flexing you're now able to achieve.

Another little milestone: I managed to bend both knees and dry my toes properly in the bathroom this morning instead of having to sit on the bed and do it.
Well done! That's a big milestone.

Happy Seven Week Anniversary!
You’re getting there, kiwicurls:yes!: I’ll bet you’re feeling even better by the time your getaway arrives in three weeks. The R&R will do you good…you’ve earned it.
I hope you have a good week!
@kiwicurls

It’s always one good day followed by a bad one isn’t it. Woke in pain, did a 10 minute walk and had to come back home. Did only 5 minutes pedaling and had to stop and managed to iron 2 shirts before giving up and retiring to the recliner with ice.
My young neighbour saw me hobbling along the street and said she was surprised I was still recovering! She thought it would take a week at most to get over the surgery! Ah, the blissful ignorance of youth.

She thought it would take a week at most to get over the surgery! Ah, the blissful ignorance of youth.
:doh:

I managed a supermarket shop with husband this morning and can do 15 minutes at a time on the exercise pedals now.

It’s always one good day followed by a bad one isn’t it. Woke in pain, did a 10 minute walk and had to come back home. Did only 5 minutes pedaling and had to stop and managed to iron 2 shirts before giving up and retiring to the recliner with ice.
Maybe a supermarket trip and 15 minutes on the pedals is too much. Maybe try a shorter time pedaling at a time. Maybe two or three 5 minute sessions might be better for a while. :console2:

@Jockette maybe I slightly overdid it yesterday but I’m trying to get this leg a bit stronger so I don’t limp so much.
I’ve tried and tried today to use the quad stick inside the house but I hate it and would rather do without. I lean on it when I shouldn’t and it just doesn’t feel right.
In the kitchen I manage fine and cross the room fairly easily with no aids ( we have a big kitchen too) but for further distances through the house I can concentrate on heel toe walking better with the walker.
My lovely physio phoned yesterday even though he’s finished my sessions. He said try and use the stick but I just cannot. I see people everywhere using sticks but it’s not for me. My husband says if need be he can fit the walker into the car when we go away.

It might mean the dog sits on my lap for the drive, though. (Just kidding.)

I walked around the shopping centre for half an hour yesterday. At 7 weeks I feel this is reasonable and I was fine …
until I sat in a cafe for 2 hours today with friends for coffee. ( yes I know that’s a long time to sit but we talk a lot!)
Went to get up and my knee said “Oh no you don’t” and started misbehaving. It took several minutes to get back on my feet and I was so embarrassed! I just couldn’t get up and husband had to help me. I leaned so heavily on my poor walker that I have marks on my hands now.
I’m happy to be getting out and about again and as I said, my ROM has been excellent since day 1 but some days I wonder, am I doing too little exercise or too much as I’ve got such a bad limp. I’ve reduced my pedalling to 5 minutes a day so am certainly not over exerting myself.
I do wonder if my balance is so bad because of my foot problems. I have residual nerve pain / damage from the last foot surgery and the foot often spasms. I hardly ever drive any more because it’s my driving foot.
Maybe because I have limped for the past 2 years that it’s taking me so long to walk unaided now?
Don’t mind my ravings, just thinking out loud really.
Have a good day everyone.

do wonder if my balance is so bad because of my foot problems. I have residual nerve pain / damage from the last foot surgery and the foot often spasms. I hardly ever drive any more because it’s my driving foot.
Maybe because I have limped for the past 2 years that it’s taking me so long to walk unaided now?
I am sure this is right and it will take more time. You need to be easy on yourself.
Do you have a really good physio/ orthotist or pilates teacher who understands anatomy and can really analyse your gait and see which muscles/ nerves are weak and need a bit more work/ help. It needs to be someone who is not just programmed to stereotyped rehab but understands your individual issues. Might need a bit of hunting to find the right person.

Another thing bothering me is the tightness of the scar when I bend my knee. It’s only the proximal section. It feels like it’s going to rip even though I know it won’t. The scar seems to be thickening too.
The skin around the proximal end of the scar is discoloured and has been since surgery. I did ask the surgeon about the skin discolouration and he wasn’t bothered by it but the tightness wasn’t apparent when I saw him. Only had this sensation for a few days.

I sat in a cafe for 2 hours today
When ever I sat for a few minutes, I would pull a chair up and put my leg across it. In church, I'd put my leg across the pew. Doing this helped to keep the swelling down. People might have looked 'funny' at me, but I didn't care, my knee's comfort was more important than what anyone else thought!

Are you continuing to use vit E oil on the scar? You can also do gentle massage - I found doing a combination of circular and cross-fiber helpful to keep the incision scar moving separately from underlying structures.

I was wondering too, whether massage might help.
As to the discolouration. I have generally quite poor circulation in my legs and a tendency to purplish discolouration ( livido reticularis). I have noticed that it is definitely bit worse on my operated side and more noticeable. I also noticed that I now have chilblains on the toes on that side. I reckon some small blood vessels have been damaged and this has caused the discolouration. Could that explain yours? Mine is helped by massage.

@kiwicurls water exercise is amazing. Look at the option of a suit with a front zipper. They are much easier to get in and out of. They are usually found on sites with swimwear for chlorinated pools.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I have started to massage the scar more as I agree this might help.
I have excellent leg circulation but maybe it is small vessel damage. That would explain the discolouration.
I couldn’t put my leg up on a chair at the cafe as there was no room.
Re swimming: my shoulders are so bad that I need help getting dressed at the moment and even drying myself after a shower is excruciating. A front zippered swimsuit wouldn’t really help as every aspect of getting dressed/ undressed hurts. I am not doing water exercise for this reason as my shoulders are way more painful than my knee ever was. So it’s out of the question for me until I can have more steroid injections. I don’t want to have them so soon after tkr so I have to put up with the disabling pain for now.

I'm sorry you're dealing with such excruciating shoulder pain as you are healing from your TKR.
It sounds awful, kiwicurls. I hope you find many moments of comfort until you're up to receiving further injections.
Happy Friday to you! I hope your weekend is all you want it to be. :)
@kiwicurls

Tomorrow is week 8 and two days ago I turned a corner. I was able to walk around the house with only a slight limp (yay!) and no aids at all.
I still used the walker when out yesterday and this morning but definitely don’t need it in the house any longer. Even when getting up during the night I am managing well without aids.
The scar massage, although it feels disgusting and sore, has helped the tightness on the suture line so thank you for that recommendation.
I can’t believe the improvement almost overnight and I am so thankful I can move around the house and not feel wobbly any longer.
Sun is shining on a beautiful autumn day and all is well for now! I’m not so stupid as to think it’s all plain sailing from now as setbacks do happen but fingers crossed I’m on the right track!

It's funny.... Sometimes we think we're on a plateau but quietly under the surface nerves and muscles are talking among themselves and Wow! A new ability!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JWS