TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

Thanks @Layla. I think all of you at Bonesmart have a true gift: the thousands of people you have helped through their recoveries with such sensible, caring advice. Where would we be without you all? I just wish more doctors and physios would heed your words but it aint gonna happen.
My physio seems pleased. I can now straight leg raise without any discomfort at all and my bend is still good. He doesn’t measure, says he can see it for himself, and it’s’way past 110’ so that’s fine. My knee doesn’t hurt at all until I walk and he advised me to stop toe taps and sideways steps. Next week is his last visit and he wants me to try a little bit of walking without the walker. I really don’t want to transition to a cane as this will put too much pressure on my shoulders and he agrees. He said it really doesn’t matter how long I use the walker if it improves my gait as the last thing they want is people limping. So no pressure to walk without an aid. He said the last session is finding out what my goals are, what I want to be able to do in day to day life and giving me an individualised plan. I said all I want to do is walk!
I have been very pleased with my physio. He has never pushed and always takes my shoulder and feet injuries into account when planning my exercises.
We were talking about people who don’t have good ROM and to my surprise he told me MUAs are pointless and everyone regains movement eventually without it. He said my surgeon never does them. I was told this before. All in all, I have been very lucky with my medical team, haven’t I!

Thank you, kiwicurls, for your very kind and thoughtful words in regard to the forum. :loveshwr: It is appreciated.

You're blessed in finding a great match in a Physic, all are not as lucky as I'm sure you've read here. There are definitely gems out there though.
We were talking about people who don’t have good ROM and to my surprise he told me MUAs are pointless and everyone regains movement eventually without
I just have to highlight this hoping more will read it. :wink: Thanks so much for sharing his thoughts and for sharing your journey with us all!

I forgot to ask my physio about that publication on knee buckling! He must have forgotten too. Sorry everyone who was interested,will ask him next week.
I find it interesting that the area of numbness we all experience post op below and laterally to the knee, goes away for some and not others. Two years on and I still have a patch of numbness but it’s decreased in size.
Happy Easter to all on Bonesmart! We usually have rainy Easters here in Sydney but the forecast is brilliant this weekend!

We were talking about people who don’t have good ROM and to my surprise he told me MUAs are pointless and everyone regains movement eventually without it. He said my surgeon never does them. I was told this before
It is a very interesting topic. There does seem to be a lot of variation in the prevalence of MUAs. I read a large Scandinavian study that showed only 1.7% MUA rates but the rates in the USA seem much higher. Also I read a questionnaire study that showed that about 40% of UK surgeons don't believe in MUAs and dont do them at all.

I find it interesting that the area of numbness we all experience post op below and laterally to the knee, goes away for some and not others. Two years on and I still have a patch of numbness but it’s decreased in size.
Hi kiwicurls,
I recall, Josephine, BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, mentioning she had an area of numbness for years. She lost focus on it at some point along the way and mentioned five years post op she realized it was finally gone. Interesting!
Have a great...Friday, for you! :)

Hi kiwicurls,
I recall, Josephine, BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, mentioning she had an area of numbness for years. She lost focus on it at some point along the way and mentioned five years post op she realized it was finally gone. Interesting!
Have a great...Friday, for you! :)
That was my experience following abdominal surgery: numb for a while, hypersensitive for years, and around five years out.... fine!
Wondering what my knees timelines will be.

I don't really notice my numb patch now at 16 months. If I knock it accidentally it is unpleasant and more sensitive than the other side. I do have sensation there but it is not exactly normal - just slightly different.

@EalingGran , that was very interesting about rates of MUA in different countries.
I don’t really notice my numb patch either except when shaving my legs.
I tried to walk around without the walker this morning and I absolutely cannot do it without wobbling and limping all over the place. I read about those who can manage at 4 weeks without any walking aids but not me.
I know it’s silly but when reading back over my 2022 tkr notes, I could walk around the house unaided at this stage. I know, every recovery is different but I’m only human and fed up with banging the walker into the paintwork!
On a positive note: I no longer need ice during the night and don’t need as many pain meds now. It still hurts when I walk but it’s not unbearable.
Last night I managed an hour sleeping on my unoperated side… yay! Funnily, I can sleep on the operated leg with no issues but as before, the other side was more difficult.
The small red area on my suture line seems to have settled down now too so progress in many ways!
Now if only I could ditch that walker…!

Week 4
Lovely sunny day for Easter. After baking a cake, I sat out in the sunshine for a while which always lifts the spirits, as others have said.
I didn’t sleep last night. Couldn’t get comfortable in any position. Waking every hour. I’m going to take stronger pain relief tonight, although I don’t want to.
I managed to do the baking by holding onto the benches as I moved around the kitchen but I can’t go far without the walker. Husband shakes his head as I bump into the paintwork which he’ll have to patch up later.

didn’t sleep last night. Couldn’t get comfortable in any position.
Have you tried using cool packs/ ice at night?
I had an Aircast Cryocuff- which I filled the reservoir with lots of ice before bed. I had a good session last thing. Then I refreshed the cool water jacket, opened it out and then slept with my operated knee resting on it. In the early weeks I would refresh the ice cold water in the night if I woke. The reservoir water stayed icy cold until morning.
Sleep was hard in the early weeks. I also got some prescription Sleep medication from my GP and used it sparingly ( alternated it with other herbal and OTC remedies suggestions here on BoneSmart) to make the first months bearable.

@EalingGran , I do use ice if necessary. I don’t want to try sleeping tablets in case they affect me when I get up during the night. I’ve never had them before.
I think last night I fell asleep in an awkward position which caused pain. I am very tired now so will just take extra strength panadol and see how I go. Good night.

5 weeks today!
I’m looking at my scar and wanting so badly to put some vitamin E cream on it but was told not to until after the 6 week checkup. So I am compromising by carefully putting it on the flaky skin around the scar instead. I alternate bio oil with vitamin E cream and have done for my foot surgeries too. You can’t see my scars at all unless you grab a magnifying glass. My daughter used some hideously expensive creams after abdominal surgery but I wouldn’t waste my money.
I still need my walker around the house and I still find the best pain reliever is diclofenac. I’m only taking 50mg once a day and hoping it won’t do any harm.
Sleeping on and off for two hour stretches but between my sore shoulders and knee that’s probably not surprising. I keep waking up on my unoperated side and the new knee tells me it doesn’t really like it.
Onwards and upwards!

What a fine 5 week report.

Yes, vit E oil has been my go to for 50 years. Like you I have had surgical and burn scars pretty much disappear.

Week 5 cont…
It was colder this morning so instead of the slip on leather slides I have worn since tkr I put on some new winter shoes. They fit well, are leather with a good sole and have a nice deep toe box for my feet. They are sturdy, sensible winter shoes with good support as I can wear no others. Even my slides have excellent arch support.
I was surprised to find my knee hurting more while wearing these shoes for an hour or so. Took them off and put my slides back on: knee pain eased!
Any thoughts? Maybe my knee needs to adjust to a closed in shoe? It took me ages to get them on, which was annoying.

Yep, annoying!... and not unusual as they are built on a different last than the slides your new body structure has adjusted to.

Just as with new orthotics, wear them as long as comfy - 1/2 hour once or twice a day to start? - and increase in 15 minute increments.

Maybe those winter shoes had a slightly higher heel? We know that my PKR knee is different from others, and way more sensitive, but just the slightest heel height bothers it and makes me feel like I’m leaning forward. Sigh. I used to wear such pretty shoes, some with higher heels, and boots. They are a thing of the past.

Thanks @mendogal. I hope you’re right because they were very expensive shoes!
I have been using the bike pedals for only two minutes a day as recommended by physio but have noticed that I am sore after. This is annoying because I feel the pedalling loosens my knee up and it certainly doesn’t hurt while I do it. I limp around for an hour after pedaling and need pain meds.
To persevere or not? Should I just walk? They say if it hurts don’t do it but surely a couple of minutes on a bike isn’t much at 5 weeks??

Maybe those winter shoes had a slightly higher heel? We know that my PKR knee is different from others, and way more sensitive, but just the slightest heel height bothers it and makes me feel like I’m leaning forward. Sigh. I used to wear such pretty shoes, some with higher heels, and boots. They are a thing of the past.
No, the heel height is exactly the same as with big toe fusions, I have to stick to the same height heel and sole.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom