TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

Well, it’s been several days walking unaided and I’m doing ok. Sore and limping a bit but ok. Of course I still use the walker when out, or a shopping trolley.
My biggest challenge now is to get rid of the loo seat raiser. I have been trying our other loo in the laundry room and it’s very painful getting on and off a lower seat. As we go away on 11th May I need to be able to use a normal loo; definitely not taking the seat raiser with me!
I’m still doing quad sets, step ups and cycling ( only in short bursts) but is there anything else I can be doing to make the transition to a normal loo any easier? I did have this issue with my first tkr but I wasn’t in any hurry as we weren’t going away.

Re the loo: I think tincture of time will likely work between now and early May. In public loos, look for the disabled ones as they tend to have good grab bars to take some weight.

You might try seated heal slides.

Also, I don't usually recommend squats because people tend to either use poor form doing them or do too many reps.... or both! However if you have seating in your home that's intermediate between the loo riser and the loo, especially if its a chair with arms, you might practice just say a half dozen up and down times twice daily. Be sure to get your feet well positioned and really bend with your hips so your butt sticks out.

I pushed up on the toilet seat with my two hands to help myself get back up. Also, rocking forward before standing can help.

@sistersinhim I have done this but it really hurts my shoulders pushing up on the seat. It’s difficult recovering from tkr with two busted shoulders! Alas, it’s really the only way to get up off a normal loo just now.
My husband tells me I am limping very badly when walking around the house. I thought I was doing ok. I even got out my hiking poles today to see if they would help but first attempt I almost fell flat on my face! Never mind, I will persist and win in the end! Onwards and upwards!
I have been watching the ANZAC march on tv today and when I think about what those men and women went through, I have nothing to complain about. Lest we forget.

Reactions: Jcx
If you're limping badly and nearly fell with the poles....
please try to use the walker (if you can manage it without making your shoulders worse) in order to promote better structure and gait.

@mendogal , I already decided to go back on the walker for another week. No point in doing otherwise but at least I know I can walk without it if necessary. I don’t feel wobbly any more so that’s progress.

@kiwicurls I really feel for you with the pain getting off the toilet seat because at over 5 months out, that probably still causes the most pain of anything I do! My PT advised exactly what @mendogal said: really bend in what feels like a ridiculously exaggerated way, sticking your butt out, to go down to a seat and especially to come up. I was trying to be so straight up and down but when she said really helped. Still hurts, but is a little more doable. Hope that next month of healing will be helpful to you too!

Oh, your poor shoulders. I imagine it's quite difficult trying to rehab your knee with those painful things. Do pain meds help? Can you take anti-inflammatories? I can't remember if you can or not. I pray for your comfort and healing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom