Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie’s Second New Knee

All that sounds right for 3 months post op.

That’s a great photo. Well done! It’s so encouraging to start to get back to our interests. In my case it was bowling, which I began carefully at 3 months post op.
 
Hi there,
It is easy to slip back into the ODIC because it's so simple to overdo it when we're feeling good. It sounds like you're doing really well. I'm happy for you, Kelpie.

I'm sorry you had to experience a couple of rough nights as you finished up your prescription, but YAY! You did it!

I am wondering if the shoes you were wearing when you were sofa shopping were a pair you wore pre-op. If so, it could be the cause of the pain. We try to remember to advise members to have a new pair of shoes that doesn't hold your pre-lop wear pattern. Obviously no one is going to toss out all of their pre-op shoes, but it's best to have a pair, or a couple pairs of new supportive shoes for those days when you'll be doing extra standing or walking. Consider using a cane while you're still limping. It should help you walk more evenly. When we limp, our body is compensating and a cane will take some of the weight off and allow you to heal properly. It will also protect other joints like your hips, back and your other knee. There is no shame in using a cane this early on in a recovery that lasts a full year for most.
I’m also finding cold and wet weather is really affecting the pain
This is real!
You can feel weather changes in your joints. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place. Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.

I'm sorry you struggle with sleep issues, Kelpie, but thankfully you're able to nap during the day if you need to.

Your dog is so cute! Glad you and your straight knees :wink: made it to the dog show!
Back living life...that's what it's all about. Thanks for stopping by to share the good news, may it only get better!
 
Thanks for the advice Layla. It’s still reassuring to hear all this even though I’ve done it before.

I ditched the cane quite early on and you’re right, it would make sense to use it. I’ve no shame in that but the main reason is that I lead my dogs on the left side and it gets in the way. I’ll have to find a solution for that. The pup comes everywhere with me at the moment to ensure her socialisation. It won’t hurt her to walk on my right side now and then though.

Both pairs of shoes I’m using are fairly new, sturdy and supportive. I had that problem the first time round so was well prepared this time.
 
You're welcome, Kelpie. What helped me with the limp was heel-walking which felt very foreign initially.
I found when I concentrated and put in the effort, I quit limping! Oddly enough a few months into my recovery it was mentioned to me on a couple of occasions that I was limping a bit, which I couldn't tell, but it was always if I had been on my feet for a period of time, walking a lot, or I was tired. I guess old habits die hard.
Try heel-toe walking and see if it helps, striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
Have fun on the doggy walks!
@Kelpie
 
Back
Top Bottom