TKR Karen's RTKR, January 19th, 2016

Happy birthday! I am fine, pt says I'm on tack. I'm walking with no cane but still have some pain. I've tried cutting my 10 mg Percocet in half but most times I ind up taking the Ithe half 30 minutes later. I know you were riding your bike shortly after surgery last time, we you able to do that all last year? I really would like to ride mine after this is over. Thoughts of falling go though my head and I never felt safe on it last year.
 
Happy Birthday yesterday!! Your birthday dinner sounds great. I always thought there are a few days that WW excuses points - birthdays are one of them! :rotfl::rotfl:
 
You deserve a day off the eating plan when it's your birthday! Happy belated birthday. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @janmont !
I think it was about 10 weeks before I was able to ride my bike last time. It was scary at first and the first few rotations hurt the first few times.
I've been riding regularly up until the day before my last surgery. i really believe the pre-hab helped alot with my recovery..
I can get around the house without the cane, but I've been spending too much time on my feet and am paying for it with swelling.
I'm also taking 10 mg of perc every 4 hours around the clock. I'm not near ready to start cutting back.
Glad you're doing well and thanks for the birthday wishes. My birthday dinner was divine!
karen
 
Post-Op Day 15 February 4, 2016
My insurance company approved 17 home PT visits this time (I only had 7 last time), and I'm having PT 5 times a week per my OS orders.
I'm not happy about it because it seems i am always chasing the pain. My therapist is good and not too aggressive, but even gentle PT causes significant pain afterwards.
The next two weeks will be 3 times a week.
I've been able to do full rotations on the exercise bike since last week and my ROM is 100 and extension 0, so that's an improvement over my first knee.
Tomorrow, I have a follow up visit with my OS and will have to drive myself. I've already done a trial run around the neighborhood, and no problems, but I'll have to withhold the pain meds tomorrow morning and get by on Tylenol until I get home. It's a 45 minute drive each way, so wish me luck!
I've been sleeping 8-10 hours a night which is great!
Well, the nurse just called and she is on her way, so I'll update over the weekend.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
That is a great report! you are doing wonderfully.

I am wondering about the PT 5X's a week, though---even 3X's a week seems to be overkill---counterproductive.

8-10 hours of sleep is absolutely marvelous!
 
My insurance company approved 17 home PT visits this time (I only had 7 last time), and I'm having PT 5 times a week per my OS orders.
I'm not happy about it because it seems i am always chasing the pain. My therapist is good and not too aggressive, but even gentle PT causes significant pain afterwards.
Go with what your body is telling you, Karen. 5 times a week is far too much. It's irritating your klnee. You know the deal, from the mantras:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again


If you're always chasing the pain, cut back that PT.

Just because your insurance company approved 17 sessions doesn't mean that you have to have 17 sessions. That was probably the maximum they would allow.

I know that different OS have different protocols, but you don't have to work hard to rehab a knee:
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
My own surgeon does not allow any PT for the first month after surgery. He says that your knee needs that time to begin healing. His patients all do well (as I did) and he hasn't had to do a MUA to help with ROM for the past 3 years.
 
I totally agree. Twice a week would suit me just fine, but it's doctors orders and I don't want to be noncompliant, since I've applied for short term disability and don't want to cause problems in that respect.
I can tough it out another two weeks, then I'll do outpatient on my own schedule (hopefully ).
 
Did you have the same OS as last time? If so, I wonder why it's different this time. I think if you talked to you OS and let him know how painful it is, he probably would back off. I tell my therapist that I am sore from the last session and she will back it down. Sometimes I am my own worse enemy, I had pt last Monday with new limits and was sore. Tuesday I went with DH to an appt and waited in lobby 45 minutes, doing extensions on the chairs while waiting. Then we went to lunch, then to the grocery store (I rode the cart), put groceries away, made dinner and washed dishes. Walked dogs to the mailbox and climbed a flight of stairs. I definitely was in the odic. I hope you fel better and your OS listens.
 
What you can do is go the PT appts., but also set limits as to what you will do and what you will not. Let the PT's know when you are approaching the discomfort level. Pace yourself; do not hurt yourself, and od not let anybody else hurt you.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom