Justine's all done

Status
Not open for further replies.
That gel is great - Asda do an own brand version which is a third of the price. Best wishes for your return to work - if you don't, I'm sure that will be fine too!!
:thumb:
 
Well, I went into work today for my Occupational Health appointment, as I'm back to the office tomorrow.

I had to fight with the physio to let me come back to work due to my back pain. She diagnosed a bulge between my discs, caused by one of a number of things; possibly related to THR and possibly not.

She is absolutely right that I should not be going back to the office tomorrow, but there are a few reasons why I must - I've now been off for 6 months and HR are about to stop paying me in full (my salary is to be reduced by half, which we can't afford), and the culture in my office just won't allow it, if you know what I mean (I've been keeping work informed of my great progress, then, all-of-a-sudden, the day before I'm due to go back, I say I'm not ready - it won't be taken kindly).

Anyway, my physio has given me a lot of help with my posture and positions for comfort, plus, I am only doing 3 hours per day this week, so I'm sure I'll be ok.

Justine x
 
Hi Justine

If your sitting a lot it's best to get yourself a decent back support so your not in pain, nothing worse than a uncomfortable seat, was at a course on Wednesday and the seats were absolute murder, if I move to make myself comfortable once I must have done it a hundred times:hairpulling:
 
Thanks Josephine. Yes, I am doing a phased return - 3 hrs per day. Next week I go back to my contracted hours, but I only work part-time, so I'm sure I'll manage.

I'm so tired now I'm back to work, but that's probably because I've been 'business as usual' when I come home from work - housework, shopping, etc. It's hard not to...

Thanks Forbesy - yes I do sit a lot at work and I've been getting very stiff. My employers have given me a lumbar support pillow and the chairs aren't too bad anyway. I'm getting an occupational health review soon, so we'll see how that goes.

On the up side, my back is MUCH better than it was. I'm still achy, but what an improvement! Yesterday we took a long walk 'up the braes', as we call it. Two and a half hours of country (and hilly) walking and I'm none the worse - better for it, actually.

Dare I say it - I'm beginning to feel 'normal'. I just wish that clunking would go!!!!

J x
 
Wow sounds like things are going well, two and a half hours of walking sounds amazing.

I still get a bit stiff when sitting for too long at work. A stroll every few hours seems to help.
 
Sounds like you are coping with work very well Justine! Things will continue to get easier.

Don't worry - the clunking will decrease as you gain muscle tone around the joint. Just takes a bit of time.
 
Hi All,

I can’t believe it’s been so long since I last posted. I suppose that’s good news as it means that ‘normal’ life has taken over and I barely have a minute to myself! I’m back to work (for real, as opposed to the phased return I did before Christmas) and have also taken on English tutoring in the evenings, so, combined with family life, it’s ‘all go’ for me.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I’ve wanted to log on a few times recently but I had forgotten my username and password. I emailed Josephine and then remembered it! Sorry Josephine.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I’m almost 7 months out of surgery now – I can’t believe that. In some ways it’s so recent, and in others it was a lifetime ago.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a few minor complaints: <o:p></o:p>
I do get hip pain occasionally – usually when I’ve jerked myself or done too much. <o:p></o:p>
I struggle with back pain quite a bit – I think I’m just not used to my re-aligned self. <o:p></o:p>
I’m very stiff daily – in the mornings when I get up, when I’ve been sitting for longer than half an hour.<o:p></o:p>
I ‘clunk’ regularly which is stomach churning!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
However…..<o:p></o:p>
I walk as much as I want, I play with my children, I crawl around on the floor, I do my housework easily, I exercise when time allows (I need much more of that!!!), I only take painkillers for a headache (hardly ever), I paint my toenails, I go hillwalking, I’m a ‘real wife’ again ;-) and so much more…<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I had my first swim the other day since my new hardware was installed. I now feel like someone very strong has punched me hard in the left butt-cheek! Ooh – sore! But, it’s just muscular so I can live with it for now. My back is achy because of my swimming style, I think. The worse thing about swimming, though, is showing my scar to the world. Six months ago, I was one of the ones who was quite proud of my scar, however, it hasn’t healed very prettily! It’s like my fatty layer has been ‘redistributed’, if you know what I mean. My hip/thigh area is really lumpy (like liposuction gone wrong). I’m very self-conscious about it and it makes me tearful at times.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I know I should be overjoyed that I’m so much better than I was (and I am!!), but sometimes I feel a bit emotional about what I’ve been though over the past year or so. Why me? etc… That’s very self-indulgent and unproductive, but I think I still mourn for the life I should have had and feel sorry for myself from time to time. That sounds very selfish – things could have been SO much worse. Other people don’t understand – I hope some of you will, or is it just me being miserable???!!!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I’m really going to try to make time to get online now that I have my password back - I hope to catch up with everyone’s stories and add my opinion when I can. I’m looking forward to reading the updates from those who went through this with me, who helped me and who, I hope, I helped too.

Justine x<o:p></o:p>
 
Hi Justine.

Stiffness in the back appears to be normal as I still suffer from it myself, It did loosen off a bit about the seven month period so it did improve.
Glad to hear you are having normality back and enjoying your time with the kids, there appears to be a few hippies that get that clunk noise so is It not worth getting it checked out Justin or maybe you have, sure they say it dissapears for a while then seems to come back.
And don't worry about being down everyone does at one point or another at times I feel everyone thinks they will revert back to what they were before unfortunately It's not always like that, they have put a brand new part into my 55 year old body and the rest of it is going through wear and tear.
They do say it takes a full year before you see the full benefit and I am in that category tomorrow and do feel the benefit. Are there not exercises in the library that can help with your back and again I am sure there are one or two hippies that have posted ideas on threads mentioning ideas.
Anyway great to have our fellow Jock back on board, Cappy has just recently had his second hip done. :rolleyespink:
 
Hi Justine,

It sure has been awhile since you've been on. I haven't been as much lately either. Life just has been so busy.

I understand what you are talking about. The buttocks pain I still have (sciatic basically) and it can be a pain. Hopefully once you are swimming more and get back into the swing of things with it you will see more improvement.

I'm sorry to hear about your cluncking, I thankfully can say I don't have that issue with either of the new hips.

Good luck with your continued recovery and back to some sort of a normal life.
 
Justine - so glad you checked in!

All your feelings at this stage are totally normal! Been there, done that, got the T shirt! You are still only 7 months out. Things will continue to ease as you build strength.

And yes - I had the clunking. I described it more like a popping right on the joint. But as the muscles tightened around the implant it disappeared.

Don't be discouraged at all Justine. You are really doing great!

Please do keep in touch!
 
I know I should be overjoyed that I’m so much better than I was (and I am!!), but sometimes I feel a bit emotional about what I’ve been though over the past year or so. Why me? etc… That’s very self-indulgent and unproductive, but I think I still mourn for the life I should have had and feel sorry for myself from time to time. That sounds very selfish – things could have been SO much worse. Other people don’t understand – I hope some of you will, or is it just me being miserable???!!!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Hi Justine!

First let me say I'm really glad you posted and updated us. As for feeling a bit emotional and asking "Why Me?", I honestly think it's normal to have these feelings from time to time and it's not selfish. I, and I'm sure many others here, understand.

Yes, things could have been a lot worse, but it doesn't change the fact there is a lot that you went through before, during and after your hip replacement . No matter how you look at it, it affected you not just physically and emotionally, it also affected so many aspects of your life. Unless someone has gone through this, it's hard for them to understand why you are feeling the way you do.

On a brighter note, I am so happy to hear you are doing well overall and back to a 'normal' life. You really should be proud as to how far you have come in 7 months. :thumb:

Liz
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom