THR Just kind of a bummer

The feeling of leg length discrepancy is a complaint nearly every new hippie has. Just give it time - 3-4 months post op. In most cases this feeling just fades. Here's an article from our Library Leg length differential - LLD
 
So many things are gonna change for you thru the healing period it’s hard to stay positive, but trust me after having been thru this 4 times with knees and hips it’s worth the wait. I am only 4 weeks into my final replacement , but already am so glad the surgery is behind me since my hip already feels great. Certainly along way from perfect, but I know it will get there even if there is a setback along the line. Same for you just do not get discouraged if your recovery does not follow along with anyone else’s here. Your hip your recovery in its own time.
 
Just an update: I am 10 days post-op and doing great (other than the leg length issue). I have almost no pain and wouldn't even be limping if my legs were the same length. Today I went on a walk outside for about half a mile and my leg did great. Energy is still pretty low and I was super tired when I got back. It's going to be hard not to overdo it because I feel so good. That said, I still burst into tears about once a day over the difference in leg lengths but trying to be optimistic. It could be so much worse. Still, hard to believe just a few months ago I was still running 20+ miles a week and I find myself trying to wrap my head around how I got from "there" to "here" so quickly. But wanted to share my good news about the healing with anyone who is nervous.
 
It is a tough adjustment for an athlete scaling back. You're going to loose a lot of aerobic conditioning during your recovery. You're young and you will get it back. One of my military friends had close to an inch difference. He has hiked the Appalachian trail end to end and the Camino with his properly fit orthotics. He has also sorted out a set of cycling shoes. Which reminds me you might be able to scare up an inexpensive bike erg just to spin on. I'm now at 15 days doing 3x10 minute pieces a day at 60 rpm's and a rousing 40 watts. Considering the last hour piece that I did before surgery included 3 sprints at 465 watts, the whole thing can be pretty humbling. My doc has been really conservative, and has told me to stick with this plan not getting off the walker for another 8 days, then the cane for a week and show up for my 2 December check without the cane. Then I think the rehab will begin. It is hard to be patient. Remember you train to race you don't race to train. Getting ahead of yourself can introduce a whole new set of issues.
 
I am a few weeks ahead of you and was convinced I had LLD, it was between weeks 6-8 for me where I no longer felt it
 
@LMBC I am so impressed you walked that far! Well done. I am itching to get back to some activity. I miss my workouts and I haven’t ran a step since March. As I have been told many times in these forums, you are early in the recovery journey and you need to take it easy. But I also hear that little voice that says “just a little further, just a little more.”

As for the leg length - I felt that too and I asked my surgeon about it. I have a slight discrepancy and he is confident it will feel better as the swelling and inflammation subsides. He then said the body will also adjust and it won’t be noticeable. I will say that even just a week after that appointment I feel it is a little better and I hope you start to feel some improvement as well.
 
Just an update: I am 10 days post-op and doing great (other than the leg length issue). I have almost no pain and wouldn't even be limping if my legs were the same length. Today I went on a walk outside for about half a mile and my leg did great. Energy is still pretty low and I was super tired when I got back. It's going to be hard not to overdo it because I feel so good. That said, I still burst into tears about once a day over the difference in leg lengths but trying to be optimistic. It could be so much worse. Still, hard to believe just a few months ago I was still running 20+ miles a week and I find myself trying to wrap my head around how I got from "there" to "here" so quickly. But wanted to share my good news about the healing with anyone who is nervous.

Glad you are making your way around a little better. I had my right hip done on Sept 21 and although I didn't run a ton like you, I played a lot of lacrosse prior to surgery and I can tell you, your hip is new but that drive inside you doesn't leave. It takes time but the muscles will build back up. You will increase your stamina as your recovery continues. Small victories. I agree, I would be lost in hip recovery if not for the awesome people here!
 
Sounds like you are on the fast healing track. You keep indicating your leg is shorter so am curious if this is a fact, or just an uneasy feeling you have at this point in time. Did your surgeon indicate you might end up with length discrepancy before or after surgery and what you would have to do about it?
 
Remember you train to race you don't race to train. Getting ahead of yourself can introduce a whole new set of issues.
I needed to hear this too @Paddles10 so thank you. @LMBC I only just gave up my cane this week, 5 weeks post op and even then I’m still using it first thing in the morning and maybe at the end of the day depending on what I have been doing. I am not feeling that LLD nearly as much as I was even a week ago. Hang in there. We runners are not known for our patience and I am fighting hard to overcome my “push through the pain” mentality I have left over from my training days.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you’re doing well. Please leave an update as time allows. We’d love to read about your progress. Wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving!
@LMBC
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom