Guest viewing is limited

TKR Just got home

I am glad to hear you don't have a fracture! Remember to rest now. Your poor knee has been through a lot!
 
Im so impressed that you had a good night's sleep on your first night home!! I'll bet you would have been awake half the night in the hospital! Here's to continued success!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: pdx
O Canada. So sorry you didn't get more complete discharge instructions and that at least initial appointments weren't set up before you left the hospital. My dad was in Toronto General (not knee!) and got appointments made for him and prescriptions called in ahead to minimize the wait.
But yes, early discharge really helps. First knee: 3 days. Second: Two. Now some people spend just one night! Amazing.
 
My first week of recovery is behind me! I must say I'm feeling pretty good. I continue to ice and elevate my knee, do my exercises and take pain meds as needed, and of course rest. Sleeping has not been to bad, I usually wake up once to use the bathroom and then again to take some pain meds. I'm able to get pretty comfortable sleeping on my stomach using lots of pillows. I had lots of visitors yesterday, so today I was pretty tired and rested most of the morning, my daughter even brought me breakfast in bed! My husband and I run our own business and of course that doesn't stop. It is year end time for us so we had to meet with our accountant, thankfully he came to our home for our meeting and I could participate with my leg propped up on a chair. Following the meeting it was back to bed with an ice pack for another rest.
My Physio is scheduled to begin next week, I'm looking forward to seeing what my new knee will do. I'm already feeling strong enough to give up my walker and use my cane. I still use my walker for those night trips to the bathroom.
I'm doing well, but I do know that there will probably be a few tough days ahead. I'm thankful for this forum knowing that I can always come back for advice and support.
 
sounds like you're doing really well.
 
Quick update. I'm still doing pretty good. My biggest challenge is finding the balance of how much to do and when to stop and rest. I have never been one to sit still so resting is a bit of a challenge. Yesterday I had my first outing. I accompanied my daughter to Drs appointment she is having major foot surgery this fall. After the appointment I dropped by to see my old physiotherapist whose clinic is in the same building. She was thrilled with my progress so far and said that the hospital physiotherapists that I will see next week will be impressed with how well I'm doing. After that a quick trip to the drug store to fill some scripts and then home. I must say I was glad to see the couch and put my knee up with some ice. I was pretty tired and sore for the rest of the evening. Trying to take it easy for today. The most pain I have is not so much the knee it self but muscle cramps in my thigh and at the back of my knee. My physio/friend says it is because my muscles are protesting, after years of walking with a bent leg it has to get used to being straight again.
I love this forum, so great to read about everyone's experiences.
 
My muscles took some time to adjust too.
 
Hi there. I am three weeks out. I had pretty good discharge instructions except that I didn't know that all the bruising started coming to the surface around day 5. I was worried initially it was phlebitis. First week is rough. You are very dependent. Focus on pain management, ice, light exercises you were taught. Rest, try to keep your nutrition up, be safe around the house and wash your hands a lot to prevent wound infection. You will notice gains soon and it will give you hope. Best wishes.
 
2 weeks postop! Today I had my first physio appointment, pretty overwhelming. She said I was doing well, but that I have a lot of work ahead of me. I'm only able to get 82 degrees of flexion, before surgery I was at 110. The PT assigned me 11 different exercises of 10 repetions 3 times a day. I'm to return two times a week to attend a class with other tkr patients. I was expecting a little more one on one, as I had with my previous physio therapy sessions last year. She said to be prepared to be pretty tired after each session. Did my first set of exercises when I got home, I'm now resting with my beloved ice pack.
 
She said I was doing well, but that I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Remember that hard work does not speed up recovery---it only slows it down. The PT works for you, not the other way around----and set up ground rules--do not let the PT push you past the point of discomfort.
I'm only able to get 82 degrees of flexion, before surgery I was at 110.
Recovery can take longer than we would like it to, and we all recover at our own pace, so I have no doubt that you will get that back, but it will be on the knee's schedule.
 
Thanks for the encouraging words. I need those today!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom