TKR June 10th is in the rear view mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DanaDelight
You've outdone everyone in the pimp-cane department. You and your husband should manufacture these. Granted it's perhaps a small yet very savvy, cutting edge market. I did manage to order a leopard print folding cane, it arrives tomorrow or Wednesday. Although, I will admit, I forget about the cane and walk around pretty well.

I congratulate you for knowing and making yourself heard about the blood clot. I think I would have known too since I had phlebitis in the last weeks of my pregnancy and was immediately put in a respiratory ward in the hospital. After two weeks I was able to go home (with injectable blood thinner+ antidote) to have my daughter, who "chose" not to be born in a hospital.

In this whole recovery process, we have to listen to ourselves AFTER becoming very well informed and clearheaded about our path. I listen to my OS first, then my PT (with some guidelines that I've learned here and that seem intuitive) like not overdoing, listening to my body etc.

I have only two days left of Lovenox, which my husband has been injecting. I don't get my staples out until Thursday, which will be the first time I'll see my OS since the surgery.

I think one of the reasons I feel so good is that I had expected to feel so much worse.
Cheers
 
@Josephine -you've got a deal. As soon as we get the cane up and running I will be posting pictures.
@sf-slim-I told my husband we should get a short spot on one of those late night info commercials with his lighted cane idea. He is thinking about taking it to the retirement community right down the street. I have seen the way those guys decorate their golf carts so I know they would go for a showy cane!
I agree with learning to listen to ourselves. I am willing to push myself for my recovery but once the pain breaks through I know that is my body saying to ease off. I have no problem being my own advocate in this process. Part of the reason that I ended up here was my lack of confidence in making important health care decisions when it came to my knee early on. I allowed doctors to make suggestions for me and my knee that only benefited them. They were fixing a problem but not the problem. I will question everything now and speak my mind when I feel I am not being listened to. The blood clot could have turned out terrible so I am thankful that I was able to find my voice. I got my staples out today-it was wonderful to rub my hand along the incision. The small things get me so very excited now. Have a good day!
 
I am willing to push myself for my recovery but once the pain breaks through I know that is my body saying to ease off.
You should be cautious with this philosophy. Waiting till pain erupts during an exercise means the damage has already been done. Much better to take heed when pain and/or swelling occurs within the next 24hrs. THAT's the real warning sign.
 
@Josephine -Thank you for the reminder. I think what I was trying to convey was that one I feel any sort of pain in my physical therapy then I stop what I am doing. I don't mind feeling a sore muscle or stretching tight muscles because that actually feels good to me. Pain is not okay and I will stop.
 
Hi, just an update. I'm 15 days post-op and will be seeing my OS tomorrow to get the staples out. I had my last Lovenox shot today. Things are moving along well. I only get up once during the night and can sleep pretty comfortably in a variety of positions.
My pain feels very manageable only taking Tylenol since day 7 post- op, I keep it to 3500 mg. a day divided pretty evenly. It's not that nothing ever hurts, it just doesn't hurt very much. I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm resting and elevating and icing A LOT.
My PT was here today and measured my ROM at 0-118, I was thrilled with that. I do my exercises, but don't knock myself out.
My leopard print cane arrives today, though I keep misplacing the one I have since walking around the house without it is very doable.
I look forward to a bath someday and driving.
I'm sure I'll have bumps in the road and will share them, but right now today, I feel very happy that I feel happy.
 
Don't you just love it when you start misplacing your cane? One day you'll simply say, "The heck with it; who needs it anyway."

You're doing well and it will only get better.
 
have only two days left of Lovenox, which my husband has been injecting.
I also was on Lovenox---and my darling bride did a great job with the injections---painless!

My PT was here today and measured my ROM at 0-118, I was thrilled with that. I do my exercises, but don't knock myself out.
Great attitude you have there---no sense in overdoing it---it won;t help anyway. Keep the knee happy and you will kee making progress.

I look forward to a bath someday and driving.
For me, it was a shower---later on, when I got into a hot whirlpool, I was ecstatic. Driving was also something that I looked forward, too, as well---it is all part of that normalcy and regular life that we crave so much.
 
I keep it to 3500 mg. a day
You can have 4,000mg per 24hrs you know. But I an very concerned that you are doing this with just Tylenol. I simply cannot conceive that you are having NO pain at only 2 weeks out.

Does .... not .....compute .....
 
You can have 4,000mg per 24hrs you know. But I an very concerned that you are doing this with just Tylenol. I simply cannot conceive that you are having NO pain at only 2 weeks out.

Does .... not .....compute .....

I don't think I ever said "NO pain". I should read back to make sure.
I have a ziplock back full of pain meds from other surgeries where I stopped taking them, after a very few days, to switch to Tylenol.
And about the 4,000mg per 24hrs of Tylenol, I was aware of that number, but thought (and was suggested by a nurse) that since I weigh under 100 lbs., I should shave that amount a little.

I was sent home from the hospital with an RX for Tramadol (I don't know the mg because I asked my husband not to fill it) and Hydracodone/Tylenol 5- 325. I took this on schedule for five days and then began to tapper off because I felt that I was in danger of a fall going to the bathroom at night, my head pounding getting clammy and lightheaded. I'd rather have some pain than take a tumble.
A similar thing happened in the hospital, and I was a day late starting PT. My blood pressure tanked when I was helped to my feet or tried to take a step. The PTs tried three times the first day and decided to postpone.
I asked to hold back on the oxicodone (I think that's what it was) or give it after PT. and then everything worked much better (walking pretty nicely, doing stairs, able to shower on my own) before I went home.
I consistently asked for less pain meds rather than more.

I saw my OS yesterday, got staples out got X-rays, and was told consistently by everybody there, that I was doing AMAZINGLY well for two weeks. I walked (good form) to the X-ray room without my cane. My ROM was excellent (0-120), and he was surprised and pleased that my pain was being managed with just Tylenol.
To be honest, I have to say that I had a very rough night because my husband and I went to a restaurant after the Docs and I was too long without icing and elevating. I'm good again this morning but I hurt during the night and couldn't get comfortable.

One of the big things that I have learned here is to go slowly with exercise, listen to my body, if something hurts don't push it. My PT, who comes to the house, said I was a "poster child" for the amount of progress I've made in such a short time. I attribute that to doing less rather than more and I credit these forums and this guidance for pointing me in this direction.

But, Josephine, I feel there is no support here for doing less medication and, in fact, I feel like I'm looked on with suspicion for doing so.
This shouldn't be the case. I don't think I could be doing better for this early on. I'm not a martyr gritting my teeth through pain. Even if I have an uncomfortable night now and again, I'm OK with that because I couldn't be happier with how well my recovery is going so far. So I cheer myself on....and on.

To all, Have a fine day.
 
Your reasoning makes good sense re: the meds .

I think we run into a lot of people who have bought into the "I'll get addicted if I take what was prescribed" or "I should be able to tough it out" etc. and get themselves into trouble so responses have probably been made in that light. Thanks for the further explanation.

You're doing awesome! :wow:
 
@sf-slim my husband is a couple of weeks further along than you. He has been off the percocet since Wednesday, just doesn't like how they make him feel and they didn't make a difference, he only takes tylenol a couple of times a day. His pain level is only getting a little above a 2 during PT. He has been going about without his cane for about 4 days now. Your ROM is better than his at that time (his leg was so bad the doc said he would be surprized if he can get to 120), but his is steadily improving. You are doing great, just don't over do it.
 
@tiredwife and @kneeper thank you for the encouragement....and I think I did over do it yesterday. First, showing off for the Doc. and then sitting too long at a restaurant. I've been sore today and laying low. Just ice, elevate and rest. My PT said not to worry.... but......
 
@sf-slim -I think it is wonderful that your pain is minimal and I dare say that many Bonesmart members-me included-are jealous because you are in such an amazing place with your pain levels. I can understand your frustration about not getting a lot of support for your lower pain medication needs. I believe you are not in the majority when it comes to a knee replacement so more resources and support seem to be available for others. You deserve all the support that everyone else is getting. I know for myself that I have needed reassurance and reminders to take my pain meds on a schedule and stick to it even if I think I am feeling better. I have made the mistake several times of saying that I will stretch the time between dosages and boy have I paid for that. I think the support that is needed by someone with low pain issues versus someone like me that has at times high pain issues is obvious. I do not want to minimize you and your recovery nor do I think anyone else does. You just have a knee up on most of us!!! You make this entire process look like a walk in the park because of your well controlled pain though I am sure you have challenges in other areas of your recovery. Post operative pain was one of my biggest fears and has been one of my biggest challenges. It is scary at times. I wish I could dump my pain meds but I know I need them right now and the time will come that I won't need them. I think you are amazing sf-slim and you have my support in your recovery. :egypdance:
 
I think I did over do it yesterday. First, showing off for the Doc. and then sitting too long at a restaurant. I've been sore today and laying low. Just ice, elevate and rest.
Exactly the thing to do.
 
And about the 4,000mg per 24hrs of Tylenol, I was aware of that number, but thought (and was suggested by a nurse) that since I weigh under 100 lbs., I should shave that amount a little.
That's not so. Body mass doesn't come into it.
A similar thing happened in the hospital, and I was a day late starting PT.
Oh gosh! A whole day? My surgeon actually forbids his patients to do any exercises except a few heels slides for 3 weeks!
But, Josephine, I feel there is no support here for doing less medication and, in fact, I feel like I'm looked on with suspicion for doing so.
Not at all. Please don't imbue the comments with that kind of nastiness. No-one on here has anything but caring and concern for you.
 
Not doing well

I've run up against a wall of blinding intermittent pain since I last shared. Been pretty much in bed since last Thursday. I have restarted the Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen 5-325 mg (1½ every six hours).

I'm very freaked out. I make the slightest standing heal/toe movement or other subtle turning movement with my foot and I involuntarily scream out and go totally weak and have to lower myself to the floor so I won't fall.

All this after having seen the doc. one week ago and barely needing a cane. Now I'm using my walker as one would use crutches to be non weight baring (all the weight on arms and one leg).

I know I had it VERY EASY for the first 2+ weeks. I was amazing my PT and my OS, and frankly myself with the rapid and relatively low pain progress that I was making.
This feels like a very different kind of pain. I know pain, I won't go into that now. This pain would break through the meds. unless I was knocked out completely. Since I have been writing this I took my next dose which I upped to two (the directions are "take one to two every six to eight hours".

I would appreciate someone weighing in on what this could be. It feels like a nerve getting pinched with the slightest movement, it's agony. It generally starts on the lateral side of my knee and shoots down, also the top middle of my foot near the toes go numb.
Pain index wise I go from 1 (as in right now lying on my bed) to a shooting 10 that takes a little while to tapper back down. My husband had to pretty much carry me back here to our bedroom.

I'm going to insist on seeing my OS tomorrow.

Can someone help me to understand this, please.
 
That does found like a pinched nerve. Did you hurt your back with anything? I hope you are able to be seen tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom