THR June 10 THR Trochanter Fracture?

Walking is the best exercise for a recovering hip. Start with just walking around the house and gradually increase the amount of time you walk. I used to time it - 5 minutes out and 5 minutes back at first and increasing the time or distance every 3 or 4 days, as long as I felt no increased pain or swelling after the walk.

Hips don't need a lot of exercise to recover. They would probably get enough exercise just through your normal activities of daily living.

I used my Nordic Track Elite recumbent and liked it a lot, I still use it when the weather keeps me inside.

I think any brand that gives you many adjustments to the seat is helpful.. you want the seat fitting the length of your legs well.

That being said, I agree that walking is the best exercise for a new hip. :walking:

My OS suggested I use a recumbent stationary bike for rehab. Since I won't be able to go to the gym for awhile I am thinking of purchasing one. Does anyone have a bike they love?

I believe @FCBayern and @leejaa both have stationary recumbent bikes. I’ve tagged each of them for you and I’m sure they’ll stop by and let you know how it’s worked for them.
A great week to you! :)

Mine is a pretty basic model, a Stamina 1350. I didn't want to spend too much because I knew after I was done rehabbing it would become a cloths hanger :heehee: . I found it on Craig's list for $50 so I didn't think I could go wrong.

I used my recumbent bike as part of my rehab all 4 times. I have a Schwinn 240 Biofit Comfort. It is recumbent, not too many bells and whistles. The seat adjusts which is great since my husband is 1foot taller than me. We use it in the winter for exercise. It comes with some programs and you can make your own. I started with 5m with no tension just to get the motion and progressed slowly to make sure I did not irritate any of the soft tissue and set myself back. I like the recumbent especially because it is easy to get on when recovering from surgeries. I have had mine for quite a long time so I do not know what the new ones are like. Checking ebay or Craig's list is a great idea especially this time of year.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you‘ve had a pleasant week and you’re ready to cruise into the weekend:driver:
I hope it’s a great one! :SUNsmile:
@sundae

Glad you’re doing well and enjoyed a walk with your daughter.
Don’t forget to ice when you over do it.:ice:
@sundae

I am two months out from surgery and feel great as long as I don't overdo it. I walked a fast mile yesterday with my daughter and now have pain mostly in my quad area and groin. I am wondering if others experience recurring pain in this area
with exercise.

I am wondering if others experience recurring pain in this area
with exercise.
As you continue to build strength and stamina the pain when you are active will ease. Try slowing down your walking focusing on your gait - planting the heel and the rolling forward to the toe.

Try walking a slower mile. I found at first I could not take larger steps so concentrated on form and smaller steps. Somewhere along the line I realized I was walking with my natural pace and step again without even noticing since there was no pain. The recovery journey continues for quite a while and continuing to listen to our bodies/hip helps us proceed smoothly. Have a great day.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you've recovered from your walk since we last heard from you.
Stay in touch and have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@sundae

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing at three months post op? We’d love to hear from you.
Until then...all the best!
@sundae

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie