Guest viewing is limited

TKR Julie's knee - still not sleeping well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! I am just under 5 weeks post op and having similar issues- except I fall asleep on the sofa then end up in bed. :) I usually sleep best the last 3 hrs or so. I get a crampy feeling behind my knee and sometimes in my shin. It certainly helps me to ice those areas. Others will recommend more pain meds or a sleeping pill.
 
I'm at 9.5 weeks and still having sleep issues. Try icing and elevating right before sleeping. Including the back of your knee. Also try a Benadryl. I've even taken to a bath before bed with Epsom salts and then icing. Last resort is a pain pill. I have never been able to sleep well on narcotics, but it's better than the pain or fidgitiness. I'm embarrassed that I still take pain meds - but there you have it! -- Joni
 
It's very common to have problems sleeping. This will improve as time goes by.
Meanwhile, take advantage of naps whenever you can have them - you might not sleep for 8 hours straight at night, but all those little naps do add up.

Like Joni, I am at just over 9 weeks since my surgery and my sleeping pattern is still not back to normal, but it is improving.

Sleep where you can, when you can.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Julie's knee -  still not sleeping well!
@abers47, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it using the Thread Tools button at the top right of the page or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?

Read the following article regarding inability to sleep well after TKR: Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Thanks everyone for your advice and experiences. It is good to know that you are not the only one going through it! Will keep trying!
 
This is a common complaint. You might even have "restless legs" where you feel the need to move your legs frequently and can't seem to get comfortable. The ice is good. So is taking something extra in the pain med catagory.

One other thing I found helful was to put a heating pad at the small of my back and leave it there on medium heat all night. You might give this a try as well.
 
Do you do any mild stretching before bed? That might help too.
 
Hi Julie--I had trouble sleeping for nearly a month. It was quite tiring and frustrating. You will be able to sleep well one of these days. Reading something boring sometimes helped me to fall asleep. Don't read or watch anything too interesting when you are trying to sleep. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your recovery. Take care! You will be in fabulous condition by Christmas!!!
 
Me. I dread going to bed cause I know that I will wake up in pain. Usually start off with a pillow and ice on my knee. It then the back of my knee starts hurting so I take the pillow out and turn on my side. 3 hrs is my max and usually by 7 I need to get up. I have been halving my Norco and taking an Advil.and a valium. Getting low on the Norco and Dr won't give me more but wants to try Tramadol. Guess I need to talk to.family Dr.
 
Are you taking your pain meds on a schedule throughout the day and night? And icing both front and back of your knee through the night? Both those things can help. But I agree that sometimes you just need to get up and do a few laps around the house to stretch out an aching knee. I used to do about 5 minutes on the exercise bike in the middle of the night at about your stage. It gets better, but it's going to take some time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom