Journey Begins

Ice, elevate, pain medication is the mantra. Nutrition and hydration is important to rebuilt strength. I think what I was unprepared was the decreased in stamina and weakness, topped off with of brain fog! Just ride along in this journey, you will do great!
 
The period before surgery can be stressful. I also felt apprehensive. In your case, and in my opinion, having two surgeries four weeks apart is really optimistic.
However, I'm sure that, as an active person, you will be able to recover from both surgeries, and that your surgeon wouldn't recommend this otherwise.
The advice above not to rush your rehab is good advice. I can absolutely confirm that efforts to accelerate your rate of recovery, can, in fact, causes an increase in pain and inflammation and will retard your progress.
Listen to your knee. Each rehab is different and individual and you have to not try to put too much pressure on yourself. Don't set time-related goals. Just work on a consistent basis, and let your knees heal.
Anyway, good luck
 
great advice. I will consult with my doctor after the surgery but if I can cope I would rather get it out of the way. I have given myself a target of a year to try and dance competitively again. I will listen to my body and not over do it.
 
I don't post much anymore, I'm 15 weeks po op RTKR but this forum is a lifesaver. Read other forums but always come back to this one. I'm progressing greatly and at my own pace. For a while there, I thought I wasn't healing as fast as I professed to in the past. But, I turned a corner at the end of three months and 'saw the light' so to speak. Good luck, read all you can to be informed -
 
I like to post my positive experience, I think it gives hope to others.Thrived on physical therapy, liked movement. I had great range of motion before surgery, and got it ALL back. I still have the usually aches, I am only 6 months out. My husband had both knees done, and also shared a positive experience. Knee replacement is major surgery, and the body deserves respect. You will do fine!
 
I was really nervous before my surgery. For months before, in fact. Would it work, would I be screaming in pain, would I regret it......on and on.

Finally, a few days before the surgery, I just reframed it. This was something I needed, and it was the only thing that would make me regain my mobility. I was still nervous, but thinking more clearly without out of control panic and anxiety.

But the pain isn‘t as bad as anticipated and I love the stability of my new knee. Biggest reason why i want the other knee done.

I did have a general anesthetic because of anxiety. I will probably do the same again.
 
I know everything will be fine just too much time between making the decision and getting it done. you have all been wonderful with support. A big thank you to all
 
These last few days can become quite calm. Your mind is made up, you've done all your preparation, you have your house in order. It's a good time to indulge yourself. Arrange a night out with a loved one or good friend; go to the theater (you won't be doing that for a while), have a dinner at a favorite restaurant (ditto), or even go shopping (online shopping will be your best friend for a couple months).

You're almost there!
 
Yes. Husbands birthday today and going out for dinner, having my hair done tomorrow and going to listen to a tenor sing on Sunday, making the most and think I might go out for dinner Monday to have my last meal out for a while. everything is prepared, have to be at the hospital at 11.00 Australian Central Time, so won't have surgery till the afternoon. Will my thread be moved to the post op thread then?
 
I like the idea of a bit of indulgence pre-surgery. It had crossed my mind to go to our favourite local restaurant next week and I've just bought a new bass guitar to give me something productive to do while I'm stuck in the house. (that's my justification to my better half, and I'm sticking to it)
 
got my hair done today and booked the hairdresser to come to my house for a home visit. I have been her client for 12 years so you do get some special treatment. Getting everything ready. had a final text reminder about my hospital visit.
 
36 hours to go and the last few days have been difficult without my antiinflams. it is so uncomfortable behind the knee and very tight if I sit too long it is uncomfortable to stand and trying to put my foot at 90 it gives me libs and needles. I am over this crappy knee. :-/
 
I'm lucky in that I don't need/take much for my pain so I won't have that 'cold turkey' phase with sudden increase in discomfort. I feel for you though as I know what it's like. focus on why you're doing it and think of the lovely drugs you'll have in a few hours.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom