Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jenn’s RTKR Journey

Surgery 11/09/23 Okay - I can tell my bend is getting worse. I’m having to push my mom in wheelchair maybe twice a week - because of this exercise - I haven’t been lifting weights Because my knee is always so swollen the day of and days after. But I can totally tell that I can’t bend it as well as I used to. It’s freaking me out. My next Doctors Appointment is April 29th - I may ask for X-rays? Would they show if I have scar tissue or if this is just swelling… AGGGGHHHH!!! I want to be able to walk down stairs and ride a bike! I don’t want to go under and have them manipulate it…not sure if an X-ray can show? Any thoughts?
 
I'm sorry your healing is being complicated by the overuse involved in caring for your mom.

Scar tissue won't show up well on an x-ray; needs a CT or MRI done with settings that account for the metal implant.

When you see your ortho ask him what degree of flexion he was able to obtain during your replacement surgery.
 
I had a frozen knee at 90 degrees from an acl surgery back in 2000.

My PA said my journey will be different than anyone’s - to not compare myself because my knee was frozen for 23 years in a positive position and could only bend 90 degrees.

I know it's hard, but try to be patient. Those poor muscles have a lot of catching up to do after 23 years, @Itsabear.

Surgery 11/09/23 Okay - I can tell my bend is getting worse. I’m having to push my mom in wheelchair maybe twice a week - because of this exercise - I haven’t been lifting weights Because my knee is always so swollen the day of and days after.
I’m sorry that your knee gets so stressed pushing the wheelchair, but sometimes we can’t control everything. It’s wonderful that you care about your mom and want to spend time with her.

On those days after, pamper that surgical leg, ice and especially elevate, so it can recover from those days. As you’ve been told, your healing journey will be different from others, due to your pre surgery circumstances. Try not to worry, in the average case, this recovery can take 1-2 years, and your recovery has some extra challenges.
 
I really don’t want to do MUA - I’ve been searching the threads and even the examples have better bed that mine at 9 months - review: 23 years frozen at 90 degrees - rtkr 11/09/23 - and had great bed but went from 115 back to 90 and I can’t seem to bend it anymore - feels like it’s getting worse. Do I trust that this a process and I’ll get a better bend or do MUA? My next Dr appointment is 9/23 - I’ve been going twice a week to PT trying to help - and it’s not.
 
I'm sorry you have such a tough decision about an MUA. I can't really advise as this wasn't my problem- as if anything I am rather hypermobile. I think your bend may be limited by your previously frozen knee but only you and your surgeon can decide if an MUA might help.
It seems to me from what I have read here that MUAs are sometimes done a bit early- but that doesn't seem to be your issue.
If you still have swelling- are you still resting and icing?
 
I’ve been going twice a week to PT trying to help - and it’s not.
Sometimes PT actually does more harm than good. Why not trying to increase your rest, icing and elevating for about a month and not do any extra exercises or PT. This will give your knee time to settle down and probably will improve that bend. What you are doing now isn't working, so why not try this?
 
I suggest you not even do those home exercises. You will not have a setback and will probably even see an improvement in your ROM and pain.
 
Hi @Itsabear --I had my LTKR very close to your date and was reading your thread and wondering how you are doing? Like you, I don't feel "finished" with this whole process and am hoping for more improvement.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom