TKR Jenn’s Recovery<

Post op visit went well today. I’m at 90 degrees and straight leg. Still not to steady in my own two legs so I’m still using the walker. Will be starting outpatient pt as soon as insurance approves it. Feeling pretty positive today.
 
Wow, what great numbers! Were they on your own, or did the OS help you?
Still not to steady in my own two legs so I’m still using the walker.
Your safety is the number one thing to be concerned about. When you start to leave your walker without thinking about it, you're closer to getting rid of it. I suggest that you use it when ever you are out. People can be inconsiderate and bump into you and it doesn't take much to throw us off balance. I used mine out of the house for months just to be on the safe side.
 
@sistersinhim the numbers were on my own today at the dr.’s appt. Great advice on the walker. I’ll never be trusting enough to go without it until I’m completely ready. Don’t want any setbacks. Thanks.
 
Hi all! I’m now 19 days with my new knee. So, I’m finally able to lift my surgical leg more, which is very encouraging. However, kick outs are still so much of a struggle. Anyone else have trouble with kick outs?
 
What do you mean by 'kick outs'?
 
@sistersinhim from sitting, kick your leg out from the knee.
So, not just lifting your foot as in a leg lift, but a kicking motion that has a bit of force to it?
That sounds painful to me. If it was me, I wouldn’t do them, especially this early in your recovery.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
 
@ jockette It’s a struggle to complete. That’s what my pt was saying his TKR patients can do in two days. He also used “no pain no gain “ expression which brought my thoughts to an article you guys sent me. I think in my previous post, I called it a leg lift. I’m finally able to lift some. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. I’m getting used to movement coming slow. I think one of my biggest lessons in this process is patience and to relax and heal. Never had much patience before. Lol!
 
I couldn’t lift my leg myself for a couple of weeks. I didn’t work on it. Several weeks later I realized I could get my leg up on my elevating wedge by myself, and had been for a while. A light bulb went on :idea: that what I was doing was a leg lift! It had come about as I healed, and by doing a daily activity, as needed. I did not do X amount of reps to accomplish it. :happydance:
 
It’s a struggle to complete. That’s what my pt was saying his TKR patients can do in two days. He also used “no pain no gain “
Stop listening to your PT. Comparing you to others is not the way to do this recovery. Also, kicking your foot out like that will be very painful on an infant knee. If it is painful, then it's setting your recovery back. Discomfort is OK, but not pain. Your knee having pain is telling you that it isn't ready for that particular thing that you are doing. Lifting your knee from a sitting position is doing your new knee no good at all.
 
That’s what my pt was saying his TKR patients can do in two days. He also used “no pain no gain “ expression
:hissy: Ignore this bit of nonsense from your PT. Whatever legendary patients could do what in 2 days, or 2 weeks or whatever.
You won't be without discomfort but causing yourself outright bad pain is so unnecessary.
 
I’m feeling kind of down today about my progress. I think I’m getting stir crazy staying in the house. Still using the walker, while waiting on insurance authorization for outpatient pt, although getting a little stronger. Just wondering how other TKR recoveries are going.
 
@Jenn my surgery was the day after you. I had my left knee done in June. I have discovered no 2 knee recoveries are the same. I am much more pain with this knee than the other. It took 4 weeks to lift my left leg without a strap, I have been able to lift the right from day one. I needed my stick around the house for weeks with left one, this one I haven't used my stick for over a week except going up and down stairs. Like you I am going stir crazy in the house. I have only had one PT session in 4 weeks and have been left to get on with things. My knee is very stiff unfortunately.
Don't get downhearted. I am one to talk as I have been in so much pain and somehow got piriformis on top of it but I am trying to remember how I felt last time and I am trying to get a positive mindset knowing one day I will wake up and be pain free just like last time. I just need to remind myself of this at 3 in the morning when the pain keeps me awake. Everyone on here is so friendly and helpful and have lots of good information which is a real help. God luck with your onward journey. Hopefully we will both have a good spring and summer to look forward to.
 
while waiting on insurance authorization for outpatient pt,
You don't really need PT, so you shouldn't be worrying about it. Your knee rehabs itself just by doing your daily activities. Many on here never took PT. I am one of them and so is Josephine. Both of us did well in our recoveries.
 
I’m feeling kind of down today about my progress. I think I’m getting stir crazy staying in the house. Still using the walker, while waiting on insurance authorization for outpatient pt, although getting a little stronger. Just wondering how other TKR recoveries are going.
It does get dull staying in the house, doesn't it? If nothing else, PT got me out of the house. :heehee:
One thing with having my tkr in the summer, once I felt confident enough I could go outside for a few minutes or walk up and down on the driveway to start.
 
@Mollymax thanks so much for the positive info. I agree with the inability to sleep because of being uncomfortable. Best of recovery to you too.
 
@kneeper I’m looking forward to pt to get out. I’ve been doing things at home on my own. But I’m so ready for some independence.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom