• UPDATED!!!! SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Wednesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR jcee444’s recovery

Thank you … that is reassuring

Well I know it’s only day 5 but am already questioning whether I should be having so much pain sitting (pain at the site of surgery) and the same on releasing the presssure when I stand again. It’s very intense burning pain but the area around my dressing looks fine apart from some bruising. My leg is not swollen or inflamed. I also feel pain down my thigh when I walk. My daughter keeps telling me its early days but Im really not sure what’s ok and what isn’t. I am off the Oxycodone as here in UK they only provide 5 tablets then its over to codeine and paracetamol. Im finding myself worrying about these things . My daughter says Im walking better but it is not without pain. Am I asking too much of myself?

@jcee444 Your daughter is right! At only 5 days out all this is normal. Are you icing and elevating that op leg.

BTW - it is not the norm in the UK to only have limited pain management. Please call your GP or your surgeon's office and ask for something more. Everyone reacts differently to medication. Sounds like you need more than codeine and paracetamol.

I agree! I had a bottle of morphine on discharge from hospital. I didn’t need all of it but it was good to have . Do contact your GP and stress the amount of pain you are in.

Just starting week three of my recovery and it has been difficult. I had a leg length difference after first THR which the surgeon corrected with this surgery and I think that has added to the pain difficulties.. I know sleeping is not easy after this kind of surgery but I am finding it really difficult to find a comfortable pain free position. I am allowed to sleep on either side but am restricting it to unoperated side with a pillow between my knees. I have a large area of bruising behind my knee which is painful and if I try to relax and straighten my leg up whilst lying on my back this cramps up and prevents me sleeping too. Sleeping has altogether become a painful affair. I still take codeine at night even though it makes me queasy. Is this bruising and pain behind my knee ok and something that will pass? I am definitely not getting a lot of sleep.

Sleep when you can even if it's for couple of hours during the day. Your body does most of its healing while you are sleeping.
It's normal to have the bruising, I had it for good month, looked like I had gone a few rounds in boxing match.
Also try & eat healthy foods & drink plenty of water even though that leads to more bathroom trips!
You are very early in recovery & zings & pains will come & go for awhile.
The oxy made me nauseous so I ended up using extra strength Tylenol.
All my best.

Just starting week three of my recovery and it has been difficult. I had a leg length difference after first THR which the surgeon corrected with this surgery and I think that has added to the pain difficulties.. I know sleeping is not easy after this kind of surgery but I am finding it really difficult to find a comfortable pain free position. I am allowed to sleep on either side but am restricting it to unoperated side with a pillow between my knees. I have a large area of bruising behind my knee which is painful and if I try to relax and straighten my leg up whilst lying on my back this cramps up and prevents me sleeping too. Sleeping has altogether become a painful affair. I still take codeine at night even though it makes me queasy. Is this bruising and pain behind my knee ok and something that will pass? I am definitely not getting a lot of sleep.
Seems we are only a day apart on our surgeries. I also had bigtime trouble sleeping for the first week and a half, only recently has it started to feel more comfortable at night and allow me to grab a lot more sleep. I got a muscle relaxant prescribed by my gp and I felt the uncomfortable feeling that had me up all through the night was due to sore and inflamed muscles. Seemed to help, maybe give that a try?

Are you icing enough? Are you doing exercises still? Icing works everywhere there is pain and or bruising. Cramps many times are from a deficiency in your diet or not hydrating enough. As our muscles heal they need a lot of the right nutrition and plenty of water in our system. In the first weeks the trips to the bathroom are usually plenty of exercise!

Well into week 4 of my recovery now and I am still in a world of pain. Surgeon added 1cm to new hip to correct the leg length difference created by my first hip replacement. For years I have had to wear a build up on my shoe. Legs are now equal length but it has thrown everything else out. I had a scoliosis before so no doubt thats affected too. Just about every muscle in my back and down my thighs have been affected which is making life difficult. I am not sitting for long periods. I walk short distances two or three times a day with one crutch (as I have the dog with me) and sleeping is still a difficult and painful experience. Not sure how long it will take for my body to adjust. Would feel happy is there were some daily improvement but at present sadly not. I can potter at home, get in and out of my shower (over the bathtub) now which is a real joy, and generally take care of myself. I cant take Ipbuprofen or the likes because I have Colitis so have to rely on Paracetamol which of course is not anti inflammatory. Any suggestions as to when things are likely to improve or it it more a case of ‘how long is a piece of string?’

I am so sorry you're still in a world of pain. :console2:
At not even one month post op from a revision I am not too surprised.
Our gait does change as our hip deteriorates, then once again post op, due to the scoliosis and complexity of the revision it's understandable that this adjustment process is taking time. It is difficult to notice daily progress in the easiest of recoveries, so consider noting progress once a week, on the same day each week, and you'll likely see that you are indeed making progress.

Difficulty sleeping does not help, so I will leave some ideas you may consider in an effort to achieve longer periods of restorative rest. Pillows certainly help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off.
I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

Hang in there, it is early days, which is cold comfort, but I do believe given more time you'll be enjoying the life you've been dreaming of. Sending a hug and best wishes.
@jcee444

Thank you so much. This hip joint is not a revision. It’s a completely new joint. The leg length difference was created when I had my other hip done in 2009 so I have had a shoe lift for (just for my walking shoes) for all those years. I do think a lot of is is to do with post op blues too. I am in the UK and we have had about the wettest March on record so it’s not like I can get out in the garden and enjoy some sunshine. Also I do live alone - apart from the dog - so cabin fever is a big issue. I just long to get some sort of sense of normality back without every step and every movement causing pain. It’s very tiring and seems never ending.

I am sorry if you're feeling blue. Cloudy, wet gray days do grow old. I hope you're able to reach out to friends or family for some company now and again to help pass the time until the brighter warmer days of Spring arrive.
I don't know if you've read the Depression / Post Op Blues thread, but I'll link it so you know that you're not alone, especially here. Big hugs! :console2:
Depression/post-op blues - open for all
@jcee444

One last thing...if interested my best advice to combat boredom and the blues is to occupy your mind to the best of your ability to keep stress low and mood high. Some of the activity that helped me get through the slow, lazy days of early healing were things like - crossword puzzles, word jumbles, soduku, playing online games, watching a Netflix movie or series. Phone calls, emails or texts are also a pick me up and a way to help fill the day. Nothing like the support of a friend or loved one when we’re feeling lonely or isolated.

Check out the Social Room here also, if you haven't yet. That can provide hours of entertainment through games and threads to read. Social Room

Happy One Month Anniversary, jcee444!
I hope this week is much better than the last.
Wishing you some sunny days! :SUNsmile:
@jcee444

Am now in week 9 of recovery. Have had no issues up till now with the incision site - but today it has started to be quite sore. The scar itself seems ok but very slight redness in surrounding tissue. I have in the last few days started sleeping again on that side and its been uncomfortable at times so am wondering is thats whats making it sore. I had a posterior incision so I am in effect laying directly on the incision site. Just dont need any infection at this late stage.

5.5 weeks here. My incision is healed over nicely, but still hard and tender in many spots if I press on it. I keep telling myself that this cut goes all the way down to the (now gone) bone, so it'll take awhile to heal deep deep down?

Am now in week 9 of recovery. Have had no issues up till now with the incision site - but today it has started to be quite sore. The scar itself seems ok but very slight redness in surrounding tissue. I have in the last few days started sleeping again on that side and its been uncomfortable at times so am wondering is thats whats making it sore. I had a posterior incision so I am in effect laying directly on the incision site. Just dont need any infection at this late stage.
I would definitely be suspicious that is the cause. Sleeping directly on it is a lot of pressure over time.

I'd revisit sleeping on surgical side for awhile. It's still healing & by laying on it you are causing pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads