• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR jcee444’s recovery

jcee444

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well that was a shock to the system…. The Spinal went well (wouldn’t do it any other way now). Back to the ward and waiting for sensation to return to my legs only to find I’d peed the bed! Off to a good start then! Welcome cup of coffee then nausea set in and plagued me for most of the day. Was meant to be discharged same day but ended up staying over night and was till home within 24 hours of surgery.
Am in a lot of pain especially when trying to manoeuvre my leg so I will be really pleased when some of this eases up. The worst though is still the waves of nausea which I think the pain meds are probably causing (Oxycodon). Only 3 days prescribed then its Codeine and Paracetamol. Have taken Dulcoease and Laxido to start to mitigate the constipation concerns and have Lactulose at the ready too.
Think boredom is going to be a problem even though it takes so long to do anything.. Patience may be a virtue but I cant wait to get past this initial stage..

:welome: Sorry to read of the rough start with the nausea. That's no fun!
Does it help to use a Leg Lifter to lift your leg temporarily? A belt to a bathrobe will work as effectively, which you likely know since this isn't your first rodeo. I hope the nausea eases for you soon. :console2:
I will leave the Recovery Guidelines as a refresher with best wishes for your comfort. Thanks for taking the time to update.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES
As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I know I am only one day in but is it usual to have sooo much pain when I move my leg. It difficult to read of so many of you who seem to have managed your pain well . I guess I just need to know that things will get better and its not unusual to be feeling So much pain at this stage.

I know I am only one day in but is it usual to have sooo much pain when I move my leg. It difficult to read of so many of you who seem to have managed your pain well
Ha - I whined pitifully that I needed more meds until my pain was manageable, then kept on it as they wore off. Ask for ice and more ice - not just the 20 minutes baloney. If you can’t work those legs see if they have a “Purewick” external catheter that is a hotdog shaped device that fits between your legs and sucks up the pee as it dribbles out. No internal parts. Thinking of you as I get ready for hip#2 in 10 days.

Yes, I believe so. The first week or two especially will be the most difficult and painful.
Your leg endured major trauma, although controlled. Your muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue is going to cause you discomfort and pain for a while yet.

As difficult as it is, try not to compare your recovery with others. I am wondering if the threads you're reading are revision threads...
A revision surgery recovery timeline is usually longer than the recovery from the initial hip replacement especially if it was required to cut bone or reattach muscles / tendons to the hip. Definitely let your care team know so if meds need to be adjusted they can do so. Hopefully they've provided you with ice, if not ask for it to help with the pain and swelling.

Your leg is difficult to move and what we refer to as Log Leg.
Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction.

Here is a more detailed explanation I found through researching -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Following joint replacement, you may benefit from the use of a Leg Lifter. The Leg Lifter is a mobility aid that can assist in getting in and out of cars, wheelchairs, beds, recliners and much more. The Leg Lifter is an inexpensive option that helps provide safe movement in the early days, to weeks, of recovery.
@jcee444

I wish you lots of comfort and hope they can get the pain under control so you're able to rest comfortably.
Sending a hug. :console2:

Thank you so much. Hug gratefully accepted:) :-) (:

@jcee444 Yep! I lived this also. Even though the surgery is behind you, this pain is very real. Expect it might be rough these first few days if not a week. Those tissues are angry and swell. I believe that was my main issue. Once that started to subside and we started getting away from the initial trauma, the pain started to be more manageable.

Unfortunately, I didn’t find BoneSmart until almost a month in. So, I’ll emphasize the guidelines on ice and elevate. Make those two your best friends. Ice often and for 45-60 mins making sure there is a cloth between the ice pack and your skin. Some of us practically had them on most of the time. It helps with the inflammation and the pain. What’s not to like? This is a great help especially if the pain meds are making you nauseous, which is unfortunate.

Try to keep on a regular pain med schedule to try and stay ahead of it and try to have some crackers, etc. on your stomach. Did they prescribe something for nausea? I’ve always had that prescribed when I had surgery and narcotics. Certainly let your team know if you can’t get proper pain management. They might have an alternative and there is no reason to suffer. Just remember, unlike your pre-op joint pain, this pain is temporary with a definite end point. Sending positive healing vibes that you find a solution to help make these rough days tolerable. We’re here for you. <<Big hug>>

Am trying to do the exercises set for me but cannot do the lying hip abduction. Cant get my leg to move out at all. Did anyone else have a problem with this?

I wouldn't worry about doing any exercises right now. Rest, ice & elevate.
Take your patience pill.
All of the pain meds you mention cause nausea, I could not take oxycodone. Extra strength Tylenol worked well & ice is almost better than medication.
Take it easy on yourself.
Get up use your walker, take a stroll around your house, make a cup of tea or coffee, sit a bit & go back to bed. That was my routine in first couple weeks. Day 5 or 6 I made a pot of chicken soup.
Netflix, movies & other shows will get you through some of the boredom.
It all gets better, trust me. But it takes time.

Well we’ve had our first bit of sunshine for a while so an afternoon in the garden - feet up and sitting on a cold pad is a really good tonic. :SUNsmile:

Am trying to do the exercises set for me but cannot do the lying hip abduction. Cant get my leg to move out at all. Did anyone else have a problem with this?
No reason to do exercises, could be the reason you're in pain. Have you started using ice and following the icing guidelines on this forum?

Yes I am using ice packs.. Instructions for us in uk say to start the exercises straight away and do them regularly but I am kind of thinking that walking around with crutches is enough for now. I am not sitting for long periods ….. tend to get up and move about to prevent stiffness.

Imo, do whatever feels right for you and don't do whatever feels wrong. Sounds like what you're doing is right for you...

I agree with Alice Nutter above, but will add this -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.
@jcee444

Thank you …..invaluable advice.

Yes I am using ice packs.. Instructions for us in uk say to start the exercises straight away and do them regularly but I am kind of thinking that walking around with crutches is enough for now. I am not sitting for long periods ….. tend to get up and move about to prevent stiffness.
Yeah, they tell many of us here the same thing about exercises but for most of us it does us no good, just causes pain. Just my experience but waiting on the exercises until after your healed seemed to work out better. Walking is good enough exercise and will be plenty of exercise for the first weeks.

Is it ok that my incision site seems so sore? Got my daughter to have a look as it a a posterior incision. She says some bruising around dressing but no redness so am guessing its a good sign. Just feels very sore.

Yes, incision area will be sore for awhile, I had posterior approach & sitting for any length or time is uncomfortable. And the bruising is all part of the healing process.

Another posterior patient here! Hanging in there. Do ice and make sure you take your meds on time to get ahead of the pain.

I set myself back on my first hip op as excersised too much. A lot of pain and strained muscles that I did not give a chance to heal.

This time I did gentle stretching and walking. My recovery went much better. My bruising was really bad, my carer said it was sone of the worst she had seen. But the constant icing sorted it out quickly.

The first two weeks are tough but it does get better :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Les42
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom