Guest viewing is limited

THR Jan 14 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@firstimer - howdy neighbour! We will also be doing a long trip a few weeks after my surgery. Flying to Europe on 10 March - I NEED to recover well at this point. We will not do a lot of running around, but I do want to be able to enjoy. Oregon coast - that is on my bucket list!
 
Well, if you drive in the US before your doc has given you the OK to do so and you have an accident, your insurance may not cover; that could turn into a VERY big deal.
 
Some have a law that you must have been given permission by your doctor or insurance does not cover you
 
Hi @firstimer like you I'm ready to drive now, I checked with my insurance (UK) and they said to go with what your consultant advises. I know that some companies in the UK say six weeks so there is a variation, what does your insurance say?
The rest is as everyone has said about pain meds and movement in the operated leg, good luck. How's the gout? Mines left me alone for which I'm grateful, don't know if you can get this where you are, but I use a pineapple extract to help during my attacks along with maximum dose ibuprofen.
 
@firstimer - howdy neighbour! We will also be doing a long trip a few weeks after my surgery. Flying to Europe on 10 March - I NEED to recover well at this point. We will not do a lot of running around, but I do want to be able to enjoy. Oregon coast - that is on my bucket list!

Hi Grandmachris I literally am your neighbour! I live in Penticton.
I have an appointment with my surgeon on the feb 26 I called today to see if I could drive and the receptionist said that protocol was to wait until you see the surgeon you don't want to undo what has been achieved this far.
Although I feel like I can but I guess I better wait. Did you have any physio yet? You will only be 6 weeks out before your big trip!
Good luck and have fun!
 
Hi @firstimer like you I'm ready to drive now, I checked with my insurance (UK) and they said to go with what your consultant advises. I know that some companies in the UK say six weeks so there is a variation, what does your insurance say?
The rest is as everyone has said about pain meds and movement in the operated leg, good luck. How's the gout? Mines left me alone for which I'm grateful, don't know if you can get this where you are, but I use a pineapple extract to help during my attacks along with maximum dose ibuprofen.

Hi Scubysteve, I talked to the Surgeons receptionist today, she said to wait and see the doc on the 26th. to see if I could drive it is protocol.

Took a prednisone for the gout and it disappeared! I like the homeopathic approach and will try the Pineapple extract as well as Black Cherry extract. See what happens.
Cheers Heinz
 
Six weeks is the "normal" time for driving here in the US, but it really depends on your surgeon's evaluation of where you are in recovery. I suggest you wait to drive until you've seen him.
 
Hi @firstimer - I had a physiotherapist come to my house the day after I came home and again to remove my staples. I talked to her today and she is planning on coming again later in the week. She was soooo helpful, many great tips and tricks. Taught my husband how to change the dressing before she took the staples out. Of course, no dressings now. I am doing very minimal physio, mostly walking and gentle stretches for my hamstring and quad muscles. Very gentle!! Our trip is coming up soon so I am very motivated to get as healed as I can before we go. Hence, the resting, gentle stretching, walks, etc. So far so good.
 
@firstimer I have side bars on the treadmill I'm not sure Di could free stand yet. I couldn't properly before the op so it'll take some time I expect.
I'm off to Italy at the end of next month, when are you flying?
 
@scubysteve we fly out on 10 March - to London for a week or so, then Barcelona, Costa del Sol, Rome, and a Med cruise. All of this was planned and paid for (but not insured!!) way before my hip got so bad! We've pushed the date back by a week and have altered our expectations for sight seeing. Fortunately, my DH is not big on rushing around. Quite a lot of our holiday will involve relaxing on a beach or by a pool. We have managed to change all of our hotels to disabled rooms - walk in showers, and got roomier seats on the flights. I will bring a cane or whatever I need at that time. I expect we will have a good time, just not as active as it would have been without the THR. Fortunately, we are both insured - with no pre-conditions - in all of the places we are visiting.
 
HI all,
It has been 6 weeks since my surgery,
I had an appointment with my surgeon and he was happy with my progress!

I am finally able to drive again! It feels good to be able to do things independently! I can walk without any walking aids and I am starting a pool exercise program at our local Gym to strengthen my muscles in my operated hip.

I am getting stronger every day. I have been able to walk for about 3km without tiring to much. Still can't sleep on the incision side and have trouble sleeping through the night.
My incision area is still looking like I am wearing Canadian Mountie pants a bit of a bulge on the upper thigh right where the incision is. Anyone else having a bulge in that area?

All in all I am very happy how things are progressing and if it continues like that I am a happy camper I hope that all of you are on that same path!
Cheers Heinz
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jan 14 update
report @firstimer. Things appear to be progressing at a very "normal" rate. Some folks do have that "bulge" for quite a while. It should resolve itself over time. Just be patient.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
WOW Heinz, that sounds excellent, you must be really chuffed :happydance: I don't have a bulge outwards, my bulges are inwards, I've got dimples!
Keep going, you sound great.
 
Hey Heinz, that sounds fantastic! Can you really walk 3km with no walking aid? I still need my stick when my hip has got tired- after about 500m.
My scar is abit bumpy. But I have no lumps :-)
Keep up the good work!
Gill
 
@firstimer Wow Heinz, you are really doing great! I'm 11 days behind you and I cannot walk without a cane yet - certainly not without a limp! I'm also going to the water, to the H2O - I got the go ahead last week. I've been once so far but the difference it made is amazing! I will be going three times this week for an hour each time and then we leave next Monday. I also have 'Mountie thigh', ugh! It's not as bumpy as it was though and I'm hoping it will settle down some more. Not much of it shows past my bathing suit so mostly it will be private LOL. Nice to hear you're doing so well neighbour!
 
Hey Heinz, that sounds fantastic! Can you really walk 3km with no walking aid? I still need my stick when my hip has got tired- after about 500m.
My scar is abit bumpy. But I have no lumps :)
Keep up the good work!
Gill

Hi Gill,
I do need a walking aid for the 3 km just not around home.
:yikes: Jiminy Cricket! At 6 weeks?
Yes it is pretty amazing but for that I do need the cane.
Cheers Heinz
 
@firstimer Wow Heinz, you are really doing great! I'm 11 days behind you and I cannot walk without a cane yet - certainly not without a limp! I'm also going to the water, to the H2O - I got the go ahead last week. I've been once so far but the difference it made is amazing! I will be going three times this week for an hour each time and then we leave next Monday. I also have 'Mountie thigh', ugh! It's not as bumpy as it was though and I'm hoping it will settle down some more. Not much of it shows past my bathing suit so mostly it will be private LOL. Nice to hear you're doing so well neighbour!

It sounds like you are doing well yourself Chris!
I am glad I am not the only one with Mountie thighs lol.
Nice to hear that the h20 is working well for you, you must be soooo excited for your trip.
I hope you have a wonderful trip. There is lots to see and lots of good food.
Cheers Heinz
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom