It's time for a new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I am to take iron supplements for six weeks prior to surgery. Is this a usual practice?
Pretty much SOP for many surgeons---I had to do it, too

I was directed to take antibiotics prior to dental work, including cleanings, forever.
I have to---some OS's have changed their tune on this, but others, like mine (and my dentist) require it.

I will be taking Xarelto for 12-35 days after surgery. I'm worried about side effects
I would not worry about the side effects---I know many people who have used it and have had no problems.

You will need to work very hard exercising your joint to get the full benefit of your surgery." Yikes.:sad:
Wrong---gently, easily, and following the Bonesmart Mantras will get you to where you need to be. Hard work only make the knee fight back harder.
 
Thank you all for your advice. Hopefully someday I will be able to reassure other newbies.

I appreciate knowing the possible side effect of taking iron. I think I will call my dentist's office and schedule a cleaning before surgery as I'm scheduled in January. Then I can ask about the antibiotics for routine cleaning and exams.
 
I'm certain my example of "very hard work" differed from your surgeon's, but, like Kerri says, he doesn't need to know the specifics.

I talked to one PT shop before going with the one my surgeon recommended. When I asked about their philosophy, and she said, "Rehabbing a new is no fun and hard work", I decided to look elsewhere. My surgeon's PT recommendation, while not entirely in line with BoneSmart philosophy completely adhered to the belief that I'd it hurts, stop and find another way. I loved them for this.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I have a confession to make. I have a plan to return to work early on. Thanks to reading in this forum, I realized my initial plan - in office starting at three weeks post-op was not going to work. Now I am hoping to be able to work from home part time at three weeks post-op with a phased approach to part-time in the office to full time.

I'll admit I had the attitude of "if I do everything right, I'll be able to do this." I am so glad that I have found this resource and have adjusted my expectations. I will also talk with my employer and hope to have some additional flexibility about returning to work.
 
I hope you will find your employer flexible about your return to work. Some people manage to work from home part time earlier than 12 weeks. But something to keep in mind is that even if you can work from your couch with your leg elevated and ice pack on the knee, you will be fatigued physically and mentally.
Not to mention the drugs. :heehee:
With my first tkr I couldn't even read for a month or more. With my second I could concentrate better, but for only short bursts.
 
I gradually started working from home from about 4 weeks. I did find that, apart from the tiredness, I still had some "brain fog" and I found it hard to concentrate. When I look back at some of the decisions I made at that time, I realise that I wasn't really thinking straight.
 
I had brain fog that would have made decisions questionable for about six weeks, so please be cautious, depending upon the type of work you do.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I appreciate the advice. I will make sure somebody checks my work.
 
Hi All, I went to the knee class yesterday at the hospital where I will be having surgery and I'm glad that I did. A nurse, physical therapist and occupational therapist all answered questions and gave a good presentation on what to expect. I feel a bit more comfortable about the surgery. Pre-op screening appointment next week. It's real. No more denial.
 
I am glad to read that you are taking those steps in reclaiming your life.

Get that pre-op done and you are good to go!

I had brain fog that would have made decisions questionable for about six weeks, so please be cautious, depending upon the type of work you do.
I was teaching, and the sub would bring me essays to read and to grade. The pain meds made me feel like I was surrounded by a giant cotton ball, and it was impossible for me to concentrate for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

Some people are off of the pain meds sooner than others; I was on them about three weeks or so---at 4 1/2 weeks I was off of the meds and driving---but if you do return to work while you are on pain meds, you may want to work on and off during the day.
 
I had brain fog just from being tired. I stopped taking pain killers a little after 2 weeks post op ( not recommended). I would just fall asleep on and off all day. I still have times when I am totally wiped out and need to sleep. Probiotics can be taking any time you want no just on antiobiotics. My OS wants me to not have a dental visit for 6 months post op. After that he wants me to take an abreviated course for dental work. You can check with your dentist also. DONT work hard at PT. I feel like I had more problems from doing that. I too thought if I did everything right I would be absolutely fine at 3 months. It wasn't until I found this forum that I found out it usually takes much longer.
 
Holding a thought was difficult for the first few weeks. I went to parent/teacher conferences at the 3 week mark and hoped I was making sense to all the parents.
 
I have another question for you all. At the class I attended a spinal block was recommended vs. general anesthesia, unless you have previously had back surgery. I had a herniated disk surgery about 15 years ago. Is that going to prevent me from having a spinal? Has this been the case for anyone else?
 
Well, I met with my OS and everything was OK with my tests and I'm on the schedule as planned for Tuesday (the 15th). I am relieved that I was cleared for surgery and ready to get to recovery. Most of the time, I'm fine but occasionally I still panic. Fortunately, I will be busy this weekend with last minute preparations and a few Christmas to-do's and Monday I am working, so I won't have a lot of time to worry.

Thanks again for the comments and advice. :yes:
 
I asked what kind of knee I would be getting and it will be a Persona (Zimmer). Doc said he liked the ability to choose an implant based on what the individual patient's needs were.
 
Best best of luck with your surgery. I will be wTching to see when you get to the other side.
 
I'm scheduled for the day after you and I'm also getting the Persona. I'm pretty nervous. I'll be looking for you on the other side!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom