It's that time again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An update - I saw Mr surgeon last Tuesday and we both agreed that my knee has settled down and is now - for the time being at least - totally asymptomatic! Meaning no symptoms, no pain or anything. We had another look at the xrays (now almost 2 years old) and agreed it certainly is bone on bone and there are numerous small osteophytes (bone spurs) around the edge of the patella so whenever it does get done, it's going to need a button. :skep:

However, he had me 'hop up' on the table so he could get a good look at my knees. He checked out the right one first and then pushed it into flexion. Up till then he face was studious and thoughtful then he looked up with big eyes and an even bigger grin and said that the flexion was "pretty incredible"! I could only agree!

[Bonesmart.org] It's that time again!

So knee is on hold for the time being - again!
 
And what a beauty that cane is! Sounds like you got it just in the nick of time! Wow! Sixth months out for surgery? I thought 3+ months was a long wait. I guess it's worth it to get the surgeon you want though, right? It's the best surgeons who have the longest waiting list. Since you have some time…we have quite a list of articles for you to read! :)
Waiting times here in Wales are unbelievable. I waited 16 months from my GP's referral to surgery!
 
@Josephine Knowing it is bone-on-bone, even though asymptomatic at this time, could you still elect to have it done? Given the long waiting times you typically see in the UK, would it be better to get it on the schedule now until waiting for the pain to flare up and have to live with that for perhaps as much as several months waiting for the surgery?
 
Sounds like good news Josephine. Isn't it strange how these crazy knees go in and out of pain? When I had my right knee done, my left knee was bad, painful and bone on bone. Then after my recovery from my RTKR, my left knee has not given me any trouble. I am delighted not to face another surgery in the near future. Hope your knee stays pain free for you too!
 
@Josephine Knowing it is bone-on-bone, even though asymptomatic at this time, could you still elect to have it done?
Could do. Himself said he would do it 18 months ago but you know the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". And we were both in agreement that, despite the radiological evidence, it cannot presently be considered broken. You can't beat your God-given body part.
[Bonesmart.org] It's that time again!
 
Fingers crossed that knee will behave itself for a bit. Love the cane - at least now you have it when you need it.
 
Fingers crossed your knee continues to behave!

I've booked a date in September to have my left knee replaced. As soon as I booked the date, the knee settled down, so I was considering cancelling. However, the knee still gives me a nasty reminder from time to time and those times are becoming more frequent, so I'm going to stick with September.
 
I don't know Jo---if you knee starts to hurt, you will have a six month wait. I told my doc that I thought I could get through another ski season--his answer, "why bother?" I have to admit that the second knee that I had replaced much earlier in the degeneratiion process was a piece of cake compared to the left.
 
I waited far too long for the first replacement and lost mobility and muscle tone - one of those who were told they were "too young".
I'm not going to make that mistake again!
 
I'm with Kelly, Jo. If it starts bothering you at all....give the TKR some serious thought. With my second knee, I was really tuned in to how it was functioning. It never really hurt, as such, but I could just feel it was not "right." It sometimes felt like it would give way, although it never did. Like Kelly, my second TKR was so much easier than the first and I have to believe at least some of that was because I didn't let it go so long. And, of course, I had that plantar fasciitis thing going on that I just somehow KNEW was related to a badly aligned knee (although none of the doctors were really that strong on the idea - shows what they know!! :heehee:

And, strangely....in my 2nd knee's case, the xrays really didn't look all that bad! There was just some slight bone on bone on the medial side and a bit of bad tracking with the patella. The doctor said it was worse once he got in there. Pictures don't always tell the whole story!
 
I'm with Jamie et al. Had my second one done in December after it giving me fits for several years and being bone-on-bone. Wasn't particularly painful but did feel quite unstable. Scheduled the surgery to suit me and the family. Now I realize that all sorts of issues were being caused by the knee --back, foot pain etc--all that has gone away.
 
Whatever you choose, when you choose, the best of wishes and positive thoughts :).
 
That certainly is good news Josephine! Hope its not your knee playing tricks on your mind….as soon as I made the decision to go ahead, it started feeling pretty darn good. So good that I almost cancelled. Then I'd have a day where I knew I was making the right choice. It is nice to have that choice though, isn't it?
 
I started using a cane a year ago.
People used to laugh to themselves when I rocked up on a Ducati, then shuffled off with a cane.

Last week there was a potential road rage incident that was defused when i got out of my car and approached the angry young man with cane, slowly. He realised that he couldnt express his rage, and he just got back into his car and drove off.

So a cane has some advantages too, along with the disad
You learn to carry stuff 'creatively'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom