TKR It will fit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post op day 4!!!

I am having no pain to speak of, other than from moving around, but I am being very careful. If I could make one suggestion to those waiting in the wings, I suggest that you borrow/rent a walker just to make sure you can get around. I thought I had all my furniture positioned just right, but didn't. Not a big deal for sure.

My home PT came today and was here for a couple hours, she wanted to see that I could get round, use the bathroom, get in and out if the walk in shower, and get in and out of bed. I passed with flying colors. We went through the exercises and was please to see my extension go from 17 to 6 and my flexion go from 55 to 75. I will not see her again until Tuesday but the nurse will be here tomorrow.

No more nausea, no constipation, just a little diarrhea because of the Milk of Magnesia while in the hospital.
I was so anxious about having this done and it truly has been an overall great experience.

I have been told had the best knee surgeon in Colorado and I am so greatfull :yay:
 
Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Congrats on your new knee and being home recovering! Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Sounds like you are off to a great start!
 
1 week post op, :yay: amazing how fast that week went. I am a little nervous and wondering when the other "shoe" is going to drop. There is so much anxiety going into having this surgery and with the help from this sight I have not been surprised by my progress. I know that we each progress differently and it pleases me to say that if I had to make the decision today to have my other knee done, I would not hesitate.
My husband has been the best cheerleader :thumb: :dancy: he has been my fill in PT and we struggled with the leg lifts and he had to assist me yesterday. Today I did 3 sets of 10 unassisted. All with virtually no pain at all. My home PT will be here tomorrow so I will see if she agrees. :happydance:
 
How are you doing Ellen? Have you ditched the milk of magnesia?
Hope you are enjoying being home and things are ok. Hugs. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Glad to hear that things are going well with your recovery :yay:
 
Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post op and I get my staples out on Thursday, yeah!!!!!

Today I had my official post op meltdown :tantrum: well not really a tantrum but the tears just came out of nowhere. I had just completed my morning exercise session and although I am making progress it never seems to be enough.. I know, I know, I know baby steps, but I just became overwhelmed :beg: .

On a much lighter note Thursday will also be my 21st wedding anniversary and on Wednesday we are going to see Andrea Bocelli. Little did I know that when I bought the tickets in December I would have just gone through this surgery. It will be my first foray out and I am planning on a low key day so that my energy does not get zapped too quickly. I know that I will pay the price the next day, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Have a great week everyone..
 
You have a lovely week to look forward to. :)
I know how the tears come! You sound like you are doing really well.
Bocelli will be absolutely wonderful! :flwrysmile:
 
Ellen,
Me and the new knee have been out gallivanting around enjoying life :friends: and I'm just now catching up on various threads. Sounds like you've done really well, I'm so glad :egypdance: !

Have a wonderful anniversary and enjoy the concert - life is to be enjoyed so if it means a little more pain and stiffness the next day it's well worth it in my opinion!

Heidi
 
Hello and I hope everyone is doing well. I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and have abandoned my cane, at least in the house. I still walk all funky, but I am walking, right.... I started out patient PT yesterday and it was not horrible, my flextion is still not good, stuck at about 61 degrees, but my extension is great, got to 2 degrees. I had to laugh while sitting in the table, it was the first time in over 40 years that both my knees were almost flat side by side...

My husband and I had been walking outside but because of the fires it is just too smokey. We live about 20 miles north of the Black Forest fires in Colorado. Keeping that community in my prayers, as of today over 360 homes totally destroyed and sadly, more will follow...

It is times like this that going through this surgery is minor in comparison to others.

Still doing well on the recovery front....
 
11 weeks post op!!

Hello, since my last post, my recovery/rehab from my knee replacement has definitely had its ups and downs.
Prior to surgery I had been reading nonstop about the surgery and the rehab and getting all types of advise. One especially being that rehab should be slow and gentle as the tissues are all inflamed and swollen and it is difficult to rehab anything this way. Makes sense, right. I read stories of patients who got PT’s that used the gentle approach and they found that the progress of the bending and extending of their knee moved along quite well. Others that got PT’s that had the approach of no pain no gain, not so much.
The lady that came to the house to do home PT was very gentle and patient and although we didn’t make a lot of progress she was very encouraging.
When I transitioned to outpatient PT, you guessed it, the aggressive PT seemed to want to push me to the limits each time I was there, which always resulted in tears…. I hate to cry and I always want to do what is needed, but my brain would stop me every time she pushed too hard.
Well at the 6 week post op visit, my surgeon told me that if I was not at a 90 degree bend in the next 4 weeks, he would manipulate my knee for me…. YIKES…. So I was definitely motivated to work really hard, regardless of how hard I was already being pushed. I bought a recumbent bike, trying like the devil to move my knee along, could never get a full rotation, just rocked it back and forth….
I had a closed manipulation of the knee under general anesthesia. Procedure took less than 30 minutes from the putting me out to waking me up. The surgeon told my husband that I had some very very tight scar tissue above my knee cap and he had to really push my leg to get it to bend, but was able to put my heel on my butt….
I got home later that day and was pretty much out, but the next day I got on my bike and after rocking back and forth for a little bit, I was able to make a full rotation and I just started crying like a little baby…. It was so emotional to be able to do something that previously had been so frustrating… So yes the manipulation worked.
It was just amazing that prior to this my leg felt like dead weight and after like a completely different leg. So I am very glad that I did this….
In my research I had also read that the TKR patients generally regress after having a manipulation so I have been making sure that what bend I have gained I will not lose.
At my last post op visit I was I was a 110 degrees in my bend and about 8 degrees in extension.
Each day it gets better, still needs a lot more rehab because I want to have more range of motion than prior to the surgery and my surgeon has indicate that is absolutely possible. Even though prior to the surgery he lead me to believe that what range of motion I had prior to surgery would be about all I would get after… Seems a little backward psychology….
I have been back to work full time for 3 weeks and had worked 1/2 days from home for 4 weeks prior to that, so back in the full swing of my work life…
The rehab continues.
 
This is so encouraging to read and I'm so glad you're seeing progress now. I think that MUA is intimidating but for anyone facing it your experience indicates it just might do the trick! It also sounds like you have a really good OS and that is equally important. The bike is great isn't it? I have an upright stationary bike but I'm doing 6-8 miles a day (well OK...most days :) and it has really helped keep things "loose."

Keep up the good work, and watch out for those over zeolous PTs :gaah:

Enjoy the rest of your summer and so glad your area of CO was spared from the fires. What a fire season this has been, just tragic.

Heidi
 
Very happy for you Elliemae!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom