THR It’s not a competition… it’s a long game

Polly530

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thank you to everyone who posts and for the wisest words of wisdom from admin

I’m 5 days post op and was in danger of getting sucked into the “look how well she’s doing club” judged by those whose only experience of major surgery is having stitches on a finger as a 5 year old. Oh and being assessed on progress by the “my 82 year old dad had a hip replacement 4 weeks ago and he’s walking an hour a day” posse.

I’m thanking the wee donkey for the IODC, for the “you don’t need to exercise right now, it won’t do you any good” mantras and for the “let your body heal” choir. Preach

383816CC-90D3-46CB-93D7-20F50A3CB2E3.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D0FBF4A-FA81-4FA1-A2D4-09BEB47EC10B.jpeg
    5D0FBF4A-FA81-4FA1-A2D4-09BEB47EC10B.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
@Polly530 Welcome to the other side! Please don't listen to all the silly people and their stories. Your recovery is unlike any other.

Relax, rest and listen to that new hip. It will quickly tell you when you have done too much.

Here are your recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Polly,
Welcome & good for you, you will recover in your own time at your own rate.
So glad you are here, we are all hip surgery survivors!
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you to everyone who posts and for the wisest words of wisdom from admin

I’m 5 days post op and was in danger of getting sucked into the “look how well she’s doing club” judged by those whose only experience of major surgery is having stitches on a finger as a 5 year old. Oh and being assessed on progress by the “my 82 year old dad had a hip replacement 4 weeks ago and he’s walking an hour a day” posse.
I’m six weeks post op. Some days are great, and I am amazed at my progress. Some days I’m just so sick of the whole process. Parts of my recovery have been easy. I started driving two weeks after the surgery. Some parts are going hard. I’m still using a walker because my other hip needs surgery as well. I’m not walking miles a day. I’ve been hobbling around with a cane for over a year and I’m not physically fit. I am grateful that I had the surgery that the leg. I had the surgery and is ever so much better and I look forward to sometime, maybe not for a year, of being in full recovery. I sure hope that sometime comes for you too.

’m 5 days post op and was in danger of getting sucked into the “look how well she’s doing club” judged by those whose only experience of major surgery is having stitches on a finger as a 5 year old. Oh and being assessed on progress by the “my 82 year old dad had a hip replacement 4 weeks ago and he’s walking an hour a day” posse.
Well said! If it weren't so annoying I would laugh because you put it in a humorous way.. So glad you have figured this out. I'm not sure why people are so insensitive/arrogant, thinking they know best with no real knowledge of what this surgery entails.
Hang in there and yes, you will ditch that walking aid and enjoy life with your double hippy status. :froggies:

You're in UK so I'll ask, are you icing? For some reason ice use isn't as common over there but it's the greatest for pain relief, and swelling relief.

Interesting! I wasn’t given any advice to ice, or even to elevate. I’ve been put on anticoagulants for 35 days this time which is making me a bit nervous as the bruising is mighty. My sister (former orthopaedic nurse) feels that icing would be best to get the swelling down. I’m going to phone the hospital in the morning for advice.

Apologies folks! I’m still trying to figure out the app and how to reply to specific messages :chinstroke:so thank you for all your responses and great to have some chat with others going through the same experience.

Hope today is/was a good one and you feel some progress however small. My sister keeps reminding me that it’s very early days and I have to relax and let my body heal. Easy, right? :rotfl:

Thankful Thursday is dedicated to having a wicked sense of humour and camaraderie.

Right you're from the land of warm beer :heehee:

We Yanks ice EVERYTHING from our coffee to our swollen body parts!

You don't need to tag us but if you're so moved it's the @ key. Like @Polly530

I was mentored in my first job as a registered nurse (sister in UK?) by a nurse from Glasgow. She was an amazing role model and I could have listened to her lovely accent all day!

Oh that’s so lovely! Yes, the sister looking after me trained in Glasgow….orthopaedics (Philipshill), general (The Victoria) then midwife (Rutherglen) before she was a mad wife and finally an artist (sculptor).

Other sister Psychiatric (Leverndale), General (Southern General) then nursing degree and eventually nurse practitioner and prescriber. Mother general (Victoria) then District Nurse.

I can’t take my own pulse or draw a straight line.

Awake again in the middle of the during of the night so apologies for the ramblings but it’s a welcome distraction - and might even send someone else off to the land of nod :heehee:

thankful for Bonesmart and browsing posts and resources. I actually don’t mind waking up to wee as it gets me moving a bit and I seem to be able to drop off again. Feeling a little bit of improvement each night so that’s a positive!

I soaked a towel in cold water and put it on my legs which gave a bit of relief from the swelling.

Hope my fellow post operators are moving in the right direction :loveshwr:

If all else fails you can distract yourself in the social room of these forums playing silly word games or adding to our collection of pet pix (who IS the wee pup of your profile pic???)

When I worked in corporate our Company was owned by Wembley plc. A couple of times a year my boss & CFO were required to take a trip to London for meetings.
My boss was (and still is) a diet Pepsi addict & had to be ice cold with lots of ice. Well he quickly learned that ice & super cold is not readily available in UK.
So ice is a premium item.
But ice will be your best friend for that swelling.
It's great that you have medical people within your family. They will be very helpful during your recovery.
When you can't sleep this is a wonderful place to come & join in cause we are all in different time zones & rates of recovery so you most likely will always find someone up!
Have a wonderful day.

Hi @myglasshalffull hope you’re having a good day. How is your recovery going?

When asked in restaurants or bars if I’d like ice in my drink, I reply with pursed lips “oh no” and a shake of my head, as if I’d just been asked if I’d like some rabbit droppings :heehee:

3.14am here and awakened for the usual nocturnal visit to check the plumbing and the white porcelain are all in order.

Doing so well other than an old shoulder injury flaring up whenever I use the crutches, causing more pain than the hip replacement. I’ve been prescribed diazepam so fingers crossed it does the trick and stops the muscle spasms.

Any hints or tips on how to minimise the shoulder fall out would be welcomed like a lost shiver looking for a spine to crawl up.

Hope today brings everyone at least one positive to celebrate xx

Hi @Freyagirl , thanks so much for your reply. It sounds like you are on quite a journey! Your story is a perfect example of it being a very long game, but each step is taking you forward towards a better quality of life.

Absolutely amazed that you’re driving after 2 weeks! In the UK, the recommended time is a minimum of 6 weeks. Guess that’s maybe because most of us drive stick shift.

Great to hear that you’re feeling a difference after 6 weeks and I hope you keep feeling the benefit a bit more each day.

Best wishes xx

Polly,
Any possibility you can use a walker instead of crutches?
I think a walker is much safer & will help those shoulders out.
Interesting, I was up 2x's last night to check porcelain in my bathroom too! :heehee:

@myglasshalffull thank you! The Walker is definitely an option but I’m persevering with the crutches for now as the diazepam seems to be helping. It’s only for another few weeks then hopefully I’ll be rid of them. Fingers crossed.
How are you doing?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin