Guest viewing is limited

Is a recliner needed post surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already had a Lazyboy recliner, but I couldn't use it in the early days after my TKRs, because lowering the leg support required more leg strength than i had initially. The first time I tried to use it, I got stuck in it and had to be rescued.
So, as recommended in the article about recliners, if you are going to buy one, make sure you get one on which you can lower the leg support without having to push down with your legs.

Later one, I did sleep in the recliner, on the nights when my bed in the spare room didn't seem comfortable.

If you're not intending to have a recliner for other reasons, I wouldn't buy one especially for using after a knee replacement.
 
I have an old small Lazy Boy. The foot rest is operated with a lever both up and down so you don't have to apply any pressure with your legs to raise and lower it. The back is operated by pushing back with your back, and goes back up when you lower the footrest. I think it is going to work well.
 
I thought about a recliner before my first TKR but was wary to buy one because of safety concerns about the mechanism (I have two little dogs). I ended up buying a cheap-o reclining chair with matching footstool... and seldom used it. I would say if you can afford a good recliner and have the space, go for it. Otherwise you can certainly make do with sofa, ottoman, bed, pillows, etc.
 
old small Lazy Boy.
That should work just fine. The only thing Id caution about is that it may be a bit low to the ground to get up from in the early days. I found on amazon something called the little boost platform, I think josephine added it to the library article about recliners. I have 4 of them, 2 in our regular home for both myself and my husband and 2 in our beach vacation home where we have 2 recliners. Its amazing how much easier it is to get up from when the recliner is just 4" higher off the ground
 
The low seats are a problem. If you decide to get a chair be sure it is a higher chair. All my furniture is low, except my bed, which my family had to build a platform for me to get into bed. We never thought of that problem.
 
This is the platform I got from amazon, they are perfect for all recliners

[Bonesmart.org] Is a recliner needed post surgery?
 
@dianehelen I've been working out for 2-1/2 years and my arms are strong. I can get up from that chair using mostly my arms with very little input from the legs. If I do have a problem I'll put a cushion on it, but I don't think I'll need it. The seat is several inches higher than the sofa. I've practiced. I even practiced getting in and out of the tub without bending my knees. I have a grab bar and will need to use a cane but it should be doable. If not, hey, I'll just do the washcloth only. :)
 
Ya, @FlaGranny my arms are very strong, from using them for years to get up from a chair as my knees have gone to heck. Still we love the riser platforms
 
Yes I found low chairs hard on the new knees. I bought a Power Lazyboy because I could not push with legs to get my old one to go up and down! They are all so very different. I still hate when you go out and have to use a low toilet!
 
When we travel, so many hotels have low toilets. Mr. L and I don't think we should have to get a handicapped room for what I've come to think of as a basic amenity.
 
Had my bed and a hard seat chair. I do have a reclining chair but never used it.
The bed was very comfortable with a pillow under the leg, and the straight back hard seat chair, was the essential piece of furniture for me.

I had my sister scatter my dining room chairs throughout my house and then when I needed to sit I used those, don't think I could have pushed myself up from something with cushions and I have strong arm muscles.

All the best to you in your upcoming surgery! :)
 
The hair is important. I got the cut and color about a week before each of my past planned surgeries. I did not want crazy hair in the hospital:) I had a recliner already for my TKR. I ended up using it a lot more than I though I would. I am not a back sleeper at all in bed so unfortunately I had some problems right after surgery and ended up sleeping more in the recliner. The only things I did to prep my house was to move anything out of the way the would interfere with the walker. My husband actually had to take the door off of the toilet closet (think that is what they are called) so that I could maneuver into the space. The door frame also worked great for me to grab and pull myself up. I also made sure that I had enough juices and things to drink (to stay hydrated) and quick foods, snacks, fruit, string cheese and stuff. You may not be hungry at first but it is nice to have quick and light snacks to much on, especially if the pain meds make you a little queasy. My husband cooks so didn't have to make any meals ahead of time. These are just little things to make life a little easier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom