TKR Irish471's Recovery Thread

@Irish471 I re-purposed my shower stool with a pillow tied on top to prop my leg up under my desk. I keep sever jel packs in the freezer and use an Ace wrap to keep them on my knee so I can still move around or make a trip to the printer etc. I also keep a yoga mat in my office so if I really hurt I can shut the door lay on the floor and use mt stool to elevate while icing. Luckily I haven't had to do that much but it has been a life savor when I needed it. Good luck when you go back.

@FCBayern , thanks for the tips! I am so impressed you can get on the floor. I am afraid if I tried to do that, I wouldn’t be able to get back up!

@Jodingers and @catkin69 , thank you! Yes, two wounded soldiers is bad!

Getting back up isn't pretty! :rotfl: Part of the reason my door is shut! Roll over and put the good knee down. stretch the bad leg out and use arms desk etc. to spider walk backwards. It isn't pretty but it can be done!:rofsign:

@Atlas_aus , luckily, I was given a waterproof bandage and my incision had internal stitches that disolve and the top layer was closed with glue. I was able to shower as soon as I got home. I love my hot showers, too! I can’t start my day without one. When do your ataples come out?

Heya, Have not been in for surgery yet, so a while :heehee:

Must ask my surgeon about super glue and internal stitches, the thought of having staples pulled is not nice !

It’s nearly 2:00 a.m. and sleep eludes me once again. I had a couple of good nights this week, too. I guess I woke hubby up because I was groaning from a little bit of pain. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. Took an oxycodone, turned on the ice machine, and it helped some. Feeling a little bit sleepy again so I am going to go try to catch some more :sleep:

@Irish471 .. hope you find some restful quality sleep soon.... I've just started to get that on a regular basis and I'm six weeks post-op yesterday..... only about a week for me getting consistent quality sleep 3-4 hours at a shot....

It’s nearly 2:00 a.m. and sleep eludes me once again. I had a couple of good nights this week, too. I guess I woke hubby up because I was groaning from a little bit of pain. I didn’t even realize I was doing that. Took an oxycodone, turned on the ice machine, and it helped some. Feeling a little bit sleepy again so I am going to go try to catch some more :sleep:

I am pretty sure they say AVOID phones, computers etc when you are trying to sleep :rotfl:

I have read that to be pain free you need to keep on top of your pain meds. This is fine during the day but what about the night when hopefully you are catching ZZZZzzzzzs ? That has always annoyed me in hopsital.. no sooner and finally get to sleep and then staff come round to do their obs... Eeek.

I am wondering is it worth setting an alarm at 4hr intervals (or whatever the meds say) even if it means breaking sleep... Being ex military I USED to be able to sleep anywhere, anytime... However in the last 10 or so years this has not happened... I can only sleep on my side, usually starting on my left and then move to right for the duration. I am thinking this is not going to be possible for quite a while....

Anyway, stop reading this and go back to sleep :heehee:

I'm 7 weeks post op today do still not sleeping. If anyone knows the secret please let us all know.

@Atlas_aus
Yes, definitely set your alarm for taking meds during the night. Initially you really need to keep on top of the pain. As things improve you can set the alarm for further apart.

@Irish471 @Bionic have u tried food wrap at night? I wrap my knee in cling film + pop an ice pack on, take my meds + can manage to sleep well. A colleague advised sleeping on a doubled over duvet + a pillow to elevate ( I just use 1 now) × it's nice + cushioned on my back + hips.
Maybe worth a try if u haven't already?

I'm really uncomfortable standing up... knee gets really tight. :-/

Just catching up here. Husband was in hospital for a couple of days. Sheesh! He was sent home today, thankfully!

@Bionic , you are too funny :rofsign:

@Jodingers , I actually did try the paper towel and saran wrap trick last week and it really didn’t help in the sleep department, but I was more comfortable not having things brush against my knee.

@Atlas_aus , I did that for the first three weeks, but stopped once I was able to get by with Tylenol and just use the oxycodone when needed. I don’t know if they are going to give me a refill on those, so I ration them a bit :shocked:

For some unknown reason, I slept really good the last 2 nights. Funny, I had the whole bed to myself :heehee: I was also a lot more active than usual on Wednesday walking around the hospital, so maybe I slept well out of sheer exhaustion? Whatever it is, I sure hope it continues!!!

My knee seems to be loosening up a little more and (dare I type this!) has been feeing better as a result. I have been doing the physical therapy exercises 3 times/day and I know that’s why it feels better. I have been focusing so much on gaining flexion, but I think it’s the gains I have made with extension have made quite a difference in how the knee feels. I had physical therapy earlier today and I measured 90 on flexion. Was I ever happy to hear that number!!! New goal is to try to get to 100 degrees by May 1 when I see the surgeon. If ithappens, great! If it doesn’t, I know it will come in time.

Last edited:
@Irish471 ... sorry to hear your husband was hospitalized. When it rains, it pours. Hoping he is feeling much better. I have had to much go on here also but doing our best to deal and keep going.

I am jealous of your rom. At three weeks I am still at 60. I think mine will take a long time, as I think all the modifying I did to get around before surgery had really left me with limited rom. Who knows, maybe I will be surprised.

Have a great weekend!

@Irish471 glad your husband is doing better. I’m sure that must have been difficult for you, getting around in a hospital isn’t easy with 2 good knees. I think you may have hit on why we have sleep problems. Even though our bodies are tired from all the healing that’s going on, we aren’t really physically tired. I was exhausted last night and slept all night long. Didn’t get up at all!!

@Irish471 don't worry too much about ROM, at 11 weeks I'm only at 110 and my OS was very happy with that. Remember slow and steady, the turtle wins every time!:heehee:

@Irish471 I haven't measured my rom for a fortnight, I just go by how my knee feels + what I can do. Now any clips/ staples/sutures are out u don't need kitchen roll under the cling film, might make it less slippy.

Irish seems like you’re progressing pretty normally. I had mine replaced (left one)in September 2018 and had similar sensations and sleep problems . Now at 7 plus months on left knee is doing fine. Pain early on is a bummer as well as swelling, but it all passes. It’s the odd changes that drive you wild. What is bugging you one day may be ok the next one or maybe hangs on for a week ,then you wake up and have a pain or sensation in a place you haven’t had one before and panic sets in again.
Don’t make the mistake of trying to match your recovery rate with anyone else’s other then to just reference it. My first replacement had much more swelling with it ( then the right knee so far) and my flexion was only 80. It continued to get better with PT, and eventually got to 135 or better. Far enough even to surprise my surgeon .
My new knee in hospital this morning had flexion over 100 surprisingly , far enough to have my surgeon tell me not to try it much farther first 2 weeks , because of pulling stitches internally I believe..
Point is keep working it at your pace up to just hitting pain threshold and don’t let anyone ,especially PTtech push you beyond it. I liken this too where you get a good solid stretch or lift then stop. My tech asked me during and after if it was painful and would immediately stop if so.
I liked going to PT, but manyhere were not too anxious to do so. Time and continue willingness to work your knee at your own level will get you there also as many can atest to here.
Don’t worry you will get there and will not regret having it replaced. The more threads you read the more you find out how recovery can be all over the place, but most get great results in the end.
Softtail

@mature mama , thank you! My husband is doing a little better, but there was no definitive explanation for why he was/is in pain. Every doctor that talked to him had a different theory and after testing, each theory was ruled out. There was only one theory that checked out and that was for his lower back. At any rate, he needs to follow up this week. I hope things are better with your daughter! It’s incredibly hard to help others when you are down yourself, physically and emotionally. I am trying to do as much as I can independently, but it’s hard sometimes! Hang in there and know you have many people thinking about you :console2:
And don’t worry about the ROM, as others have said. My physical therapist says I have a stubborn knee :heehee: My left knee was stubborn, too. I am just one of those people who has to work at it. By work at it, I mean doing a lot of stretching. I know a lot of others don’t advise working so hard at it, but I know I am doing what’s right for me.

@Softtail , I totally agree. I am one of those patients who likes going to PT and they definitely work with me like you describe. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be going there! They are far from where I live, but very worth the drive. Trust is everything, in my opinion, when it comes to PT. I hope you are now resting comfortably at home :) :-) (: Keep us all posted on your recovery!

@jboles , you’re right about the sleep thing. I just got a tkr recovery book and it says the same thing! I am definitely sleeping better as I am getting more active.

@FCBayern , oh I am a turtle alright :egypdance: I hope my check up on May 1 goes as well as yours!

@Jodingers , my last itty bitty scab fell off the other day, so I will try the saran wrap without the towel. I have a lot of sensitivity this week. Next week, it will be something else :rotfl:

Hope everyone has a nice Easter :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom