TKR indecision

oldcanuck

Country
Canada Canada
I am almost 80, TKR is scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I can endure my pain with a Tylenol. Should I wait until pain is more severe.
Thanks

Welcome to BoneSmart. If you provide us with the date and which knee it is, we can provide a custom signature for you and others having surgery around the same time will be a natural support for you!

That's a very personal decision. The two key factors in my own decision to move forward were:
- Is this situation going to improve? (I was bone on bone, steroid shots weren't effective, so: nope!)
- Am I in the best physical condition I expect to be in going into this surgery? (I had done a lot of knee-sparing exercise for several months as "prehab" and knew I was in as good shape as possible to heal and rehab post op).

Here's some information to help you prepare. Please do post any specific questions or concerns!

KNEE PRE-OP GUIDELINES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries

Last edited:
As was stated, this is a personal decision that we can not and will no make for you. Each one of us is different & each recovery is different.

Have you tried any injections in the knee? That is usually, I a usually, this first line prior to surgery. Did they provide any relief? Are you feeling like your surgeon is forcing you into this surgery? I'm just trying to help you think through everything.

We want to help you make the decision, not make the decision for you. Let us know what you are thinking.

My surgery date is Feb 6 and its my left knee. I have read some scary messages from others on how the pain was so bad that they regretted having had the surgery. Also my age is a big concern. I'm worried about dealing with the pain and any complications. My knee is bone on bone but as I've said the pain is bearable at the moment. At times I think I should just put up with it and forget surgery............

I don't see any post from 80 year olds having had the surgery. Anyone out there who had it done late 70's or early 80's.
Thanks

I will tag @Layla for you. If I recall correctly, her mother had a TKR at age 80 or so.
I think if you scroll up to the top left of this page and click on the search button, you can type in age 80 or whatever you want to type in and some threads should show up.

It used to be the norm for surgeons to have you wait until you were older to have a joint replacement so you are actually right on target with your TKR.
I tried to do a search like I initially suggested, wasn't as easy as I thought! But if you go to @trinket 's page, you will be able to read about her TKR that she had in her 70's. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much to all of you who sent me advice. Very much appreciated!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
We'll search up some threads for you of those in their late 70's or 80's that have undergone joint replacement.
My mom did have her second hip replacement at age 80, about 6 years ago. She did extremely well and is still doing well, active and thriving. My dad, age 86 is scheduled for a TKR in two months.

From the Cleveland Clinic -

How old is too old for hip or knee replacement?​

“More people are reaching their 80s and 90s, and many of them lead active lives,” says Dr. Piuzzi. “So we’re seeing more people in these age groups who want relief from hip or knee pain.”

Total joint replacement is major surgery and requires several weeks of recovery at home. But despite this, you’re never “too old” to have your hip or knee replaced.

“There is no age cutoff for joint replacement,” says Dr. Piuzzi. “Studies have found that people in their 80s and 90s benefit from hip or knee replacement as much as younger people.”

The important thing is to find a reputable surgeon you have full confidence in, discuss all concerns and receive the assurance you need to move forward in confidence.

I hope you'll document your journey here for the benefit of others in your age range and so we're able to support, encourage and cheer you on as you move toward surgery and through recovery.

Lots of comfort and all the best to you!
@oldcanuck

Thanks so much to all of you who sent me advice. Very much appreciated!
Well this isn't all that helpful probably, but my mother-in-law was about 83 when she had her knee replaced (maybe around 2006?). She had gotten to the point where she didn't want to walk anywhere (like down the hall to pick up her mail in her retirement community). She did very well with the surgery and was happy she had it. She lived well into her 90's and was able to do away with the knee brace. I remember thinking we all wished she had done it sooner so she wouldn't have suffered as much with lack of mobility (and her pre-surgery knee was painful).

I am tagging member @dapplega due to something I found in my search.
He still shows up to offer support on occasion and I read in a post of his that was a few years old that his mother in law had both hips replaced, three months apart, in her late 70's and did really well.
If he sees the tag, hopefully he'll have an update or some reassurance to offer.

There are some posts sprinkled within this thread in regard to those in their 80's experiencing joint replacement and recovering well. It was a THR instead of a TKR, but still a successful recovery in their 80's
THR Questions on THR for elderly parent.

You are not alone in your worries about post-op pain. It’s the number one concern of patients at any age. Today’s surgical techniques are vastly improved these days to help reduce pain. Most surgeons inject a drug cocktail in the incision area before closing that provides help with pain relief for up to 3 days after surgery. The important things for you to remember, are not to overdo things after surgery even if you’re feeling pretty good (it can he the drugs) and to let your care team know immediately if you begin to feel pain creeping in. There are many options for pain relief and they all work better if started before the pain has a chance to build to the point where you really hurt.

BoneSmart has an entire section of articles devoted to post op care including pain management. Click on the POST-OP CARE link in the blue tool bar at the top of the screen and you’ll find information that will help you.

My Mum was 82 when she had her second knee replacement. That was over 20 years ago. She coped well and it definitely helped her knee pain. In retrospect though I had no idea how difficult this surgery can be. She lived for years after and her quality of life was definitely better.
I think so long as you are a reasonably fit active person and you are having a lot of pre-op pain- then age alone is not the main concern.

Hello @oldcanuck and welcome :)
My mom had both hips done when she was 78 (they were bad and she probably waited to long) and her knee when she was 82. All surgeries were successful.
If this is your first surgery/replacement it is entirely normal to be apprehensive and anxious. I was a wreck at 52 :). Keep asking your questions here. Prepare yourself mentally. In the long run it is a blip on the radar but the first couple weeks can be challenging, not necessarily due to pain but also just to healing and some of the restrictions. The support here is great both pre and post op!
My 2 cents :)
Good luck and peace in your journey and decision.

@oldcanuck
My mother in law had her right knee done in her late 70's. She will turn 94 in April and still motors around very well with no knee pain.

Not a knee but from a joint replacement point of view, my mother-in-law just had her hip done on Jan 4 at 75yrs old. She is doing very well and so excited about getting her mobility back.

I had a knee replacement for my right knee when I was 58 years old. I'm now experiencing mild arthritic pain in my left knee. especially when I sit down for 15 - 20 minutes in front of my computer, the knee is very stiff and painful when I stand up and walk. I was just given an injection that may last 6 - 12 months. my orthopedic (cleveland clinic florida) is very conservative at the moment (perhaps due to insurance justification). how can I justify a knee replacement? mentally, I'm prepared for it, because from my research doing a knee replacement today compared to 12 years ago, the recovery period is night & day.

Didn’t know you could get an injection. Was it cortisone and did it help? I am 18 years post op and a: starting to have issues.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020