BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Increase of stiffness and back of knee pain<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by roboknee, Nov 5, 2018.

1. roboknee

roboknee junior member

United States United States
    @rustic
    I was pretty freaked out too as it was an infection! I’m sorry you were sick too. Then my knee was acting up at the same time. I was thinking about what the Dr kept saying about it getting infected so easy. So far it’s better as I keep doing my stretching and stationary. For a few days I was wondering if I should call the office or not, kept telling myself it’s gonna be ok. I’m kind of relieved to hear I’m not the only one worried about such things.
    Robo

• Like Like x 1
  2. roboknee

roboknee junior member

@rustic
    Your advise has worked!! The rocking has turned into full rounds! No tension and now I worked up to 15 minutes! With no side effects the next day! Thank you! I do lower the time if I’ve having a rough work day but I’m keeping up on the bike everyday and am seeing slow but great improvement!
    Thanks!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Full rotation! Score! :yay:

• Like Like x 1
  4. roboknee

roboknee junior member

I was wondering if anyone has had tingling in the TKR foot after a days work. I’ve just noticed it for the past three days or so. It doesn’t hurt and it doesn’t seem like my foot is asleep. It’s just tingling that I feel while walking?

I made it through this holiday! I’m a florist. It wasn’t too bad lots of stiffness after my long work days. 6am-10pm. Because of that I cut down on my evening excercises. Things went really well. So happy with my new knee!

• Like Like x 1
  5. roboknee

roboknee junior member

Hi all I’ve been so busy I’ve not gotten to up date on my progress. Most days at work I range around 7000 to 8000 steps on my fit bit so my home stretching has been just minimal. I have been on my stationary a few times each week no not everyday. Usually for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.im coming up on my 6 month mark.
    Is it common to still have pain off and on? With stiffness everyday at this point? I also ha e been getting sharp pains in the knee cap area swift not lasting long. It can be laying down or standing just seems random pains mostly around the inner side and top of my knee cap.. I also am having difficulty sleeping again. Some days I feel like every joint in my body hurts! Ugh it’s starting to get to my mental state. I’ve noticed my feet swelling on the tops too. Right in the middle area.
    Robo

6. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Remember that you on only about halfway through this year-long recovery. It's completely normal for you to have ups and downs with pain and stiffness. You are doing an awful lot of walking and it sounds like your body isn't very happy about it. Maybe cutting back will help you feel better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rustic

rustic member

Don't feel alone in this! We are about the same time post op and I'm seeing similar problems. As I am able to do more, I increase my overall activity a bit, maybe incorporate a couple new things that make me move in "new" ways, and then some new pains start happening where I had none before. These pains are transient, and I think this is normal (if there is such a thing). Going back to work is a huge change.
    I'm getting overall muscle pains as well, and finally realized that (for me) it is just a measure of how out of shape I've gotten. For example, I increase my walking some, and both quads get sore. I've not been in this poor of shape before. I just keep reminding myself what @sistersinhim said above about the half way mark, and keep just plugging along, increasing my activity slowly and carefully. I've got a loooong way to go, because I have high long-term expectations. You are probably that way as well, since you are active and athletic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. roboknee

roboknee junior member

@sistersinhim
    Thank you for your encouragement. I knew it was going to take a year my doctor told me ... But I don’t think my mind was fathoming how long that really is! It feels like I should be back to normal already. I was at a pretty low place when I posted last. I have taken your advise and slowed pushing myself as much. Increasing different activities a little less each time. Then giving my knee time to adjust. Trying to stay positive in the meantime is a challenge for me.
    But I’m moving forward.. and yes I go back and re read all the encouraging posts I’ve gotten here. It helps a lot. I thank you.

9. roboknee

roboknee junior member

@rustic
    Yes yes yes... I too have very high expectations for my recovery! It seems we are running neck and neck in recovery!
    I was in a pretty low place when I posted last. It seemed everything was going down hill instead of progress! I try to do a little more and then I get that pain and stiffness right back almost as if I didn’t get anywhere. It has been pretty discouraging . The random aches and pains I get from life seem more prevalent now that I focus on getting my knee not to be in pain.. ha if that makes sense? I can tell you I too am not in very good shape and to top it off I’ve gained a bunch of weight since my surgery. Which is not good at all. I know it and trying to get more walking and time on my stationary bike but that’s causing more knee pain! A vicious cycle!
    But I’m determined to get up on my road bike this summer! So I too will keep plodding along and just keep moving forward!
    I did decide to go with my son and granddaughter fishing this last weekend I was so afraid about getting in and then getting out of the boat I almost didn’t go. Thankfully it was a breeze and we had so much fun although we didn’t catch anything! I could not have done that before my surgery. Still happy over all with having it!
    Robo

• Like Like x 1
  10. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think this is the key to keeping the swelling and pain at a minimum. The knee has a mind of its own and its own time schedule. Obeying it will make everyone much happier!

• Like Like x 1
  11. roboknee

roboknee junior member

Hi all I haven’t posted for sooo long! Things are going fairly well with my recovery. I still have pain and I get some stiffness after standing for some time but I’m letting my knee tell me when is enough and try to change up what I’m doing at work. My biggest accomplishment was I finally took a bath! I was so afraid I couldn’t get out I tried what I learned here first. Since I live alone I did the try it with clothes on suggestion. It may sound something not so exciting to some but it’s been years since I’ve taken a bath because of my knee. It was heaven!
    I also have been progressing on stairs I actually went down with out holding on a few days ago. I’m still having problems going up it just feels like that side is just not very strong to get me up a step. I think I need a refresher on some thigh strengthening exercises.
    I’m having some issues with my back on my right side since surgery any one else?
    Hope all is going well for everyone else.
    Robo

• Like Like x 2
  12. rustic

rustic member

Glad to hear things are still progressing for you. I am still plugging away at this recovery as well.
    Yes, my back is bugging me lately too. It might be that my gait changed some, but more likely is the fact that I'm doing more of everything (work, play, exercise) now that the knee allows it. I guess when my knee is totally healed, I'll only have my back to complain about, lol.

13. roboknee

roboknee junior member

Hi all I was wondering if anyone had this happen ? My knee seems to go back too far at times.. it’s hard to describe it’s kind of like locking up a little. It’s only happened a few times over the last month or so, but it’s concerning. There is no pain it happens when I’m standing in one place and it just moves back and kind of gets stuck for a split second before I move it again. I feel like it’s wrong to do this somewhat like I can’t trust it, it might give out. How I don’t know... but it’s weird.

@rustic
    Ha ha yes that sounds right to me now that my knee is doing better I am finding other things in pain I hadn’t noticed!

14. Bobbyk

Bobbyk junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    I have found that static stretches have really reduced my swelling and stiffness.Holding for minutes rather than seconds.The more I improve my ROM the more comfortable and loose my knee movement; which is antithetical to the Kneescene Creed!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. roboknee

roboknee junior member

Well I’m going on 9 months now. I can say I have had lots of days that are fantastic!!! Yes when I do too much I feel it! Like the other day I went to the beach not only was the water rough.. there are 210 steps to get down and back up! After the second day of doing that boy did I have to slow down and give my poor knee a few days rest! I was a bit surprised how stiff it got but after a couple days it’s back to normal. My only lingering soreness was in my thigh muscle of my tkr leg. I think I might need to work on more strengthening in the area.
    Over all things are going very well.
    Roboknee...

• Like Like x 6
  16. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good report!

• Like Like x 1
  17. rustic

rustic member

Glad that things are going so well, Robo.

18. roboknee

roboknee junior member

I don’t know why but I’ve taken a bit of a back turn as I approach my year RTKRversary.
    I have been under a lot of stress lately and am wondering if that can increase swelling and stiffness?
    The end of July is was involved in a car accident. The other driver was at fault. They side swiped me on the freeway it was pretty scary but no injuries other than a stiff neck. Then they totaled my car and I was stressed about having to buy another. Long and short my knee has been going downhill with swelling pain and stiffness.. It has gotten worse over this weekend. I’m icing and taking Tylenol. It has me a bit worried. That it has reversed to one stepping down the stairs.. any suggestions?

Robo

19. newlybionic

newlybionic FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Are you due to having an appointment with your OS soon? It might be something that should be checked out with an X-ray.

20. roboknee

roboknee junior member

Hi newlybionic
    My OS said my next appt is in another year!
    It seems to be doing a little better with ice. I have a very physical job so it’s been a hard day today. I did get to ice at lunch today and am icing now. It seems a little better.