Guest viewing is limited

TKR Incision site

Thanks Celle- appreciate it. Not really worried so much as it’s a silly thing that’s limiting my ROM. Annoyed.
Your ROM is limited because you are only 6 weeks out of a surgery that caused mega trauma to your knee and it’s still swollen. Time and gentle treatment will do wonders.
 
Thanks Celle- appreciate it. Not really worried so much as it’s a silly thing that’s limiting my ROM. Annoyed.
But there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet - even if your surgeon has one, your knee doesn't have to reach it. Your Knee is doing just fine and it's improving steadily.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Please don't be persuaded into allowing your surgeon to do a MUA. In your case, it's totally unnecessary. You would be exposing yourself to the risk of having another anaesthetic and re-injuring your knee, just when it has started well on its journey of healing.
There's also no time limit on when an MUA can be done. In spite of what your surgeon said, the risk of fracturing your femur is incredibly small and it doesn't increase appreciably after a certain time.

I know I've told you this before, but I'm going to say it again:
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
That's really good! You're well on your way to a successful recovery.

Now it's time to stop focusing so much on measuring your flexion. It will continue to improve, and measuring it once every couple of weeks will be enough.
The numbers really aren't that important. It's what you can do with your knee that matters - function is more important than the numbers.

PTs like the numbers, because they're something they can show the insurance companies, to prove that their ministrations have been effective. For you, function is what matters.
I believe that the PTs' frequent measuring of ROM numbers creates unnecessary anxiety in their patients.
 
Thank you- I think it’s important for me to celebrate every victory I can right now. And the more ROM I have, the more function I will have. The small wins have helped my outlook and mindset.
 
I was able to make my first rotation (backwards) on the bike today. I’m not quite sure why backwards is easier the front, but for now I can ride the wrong way and I’m darn happy about that!
 
Congratulations on making a backwards rotation. That is progress!
For some reason, being able to go backwards usually comes first.
 
Almost all of us started off backwards first. Any rotation is a huge step!
 
I was able to do a rotation forward today!!! And away we went!

Talked to doc today and he is happy with my 112 passive and 118 assisted range. He thinks that we don’t need MUA and is confident I can get my ROM on my own. I know some of you think that my doc can’t “tell me what to do” but his opinion is important so that was reassuring. What a relief that felt!

Also- the little pinch...it is a stitch! It’s working it’s way out and we can see it starting to poke through the skin! Looking forward to being rid of that guy!
 
Those stitches working their way out can sting a bit. Glad to hear you know what your pinch is all about!
 
I'm glad your pinching did turn out to be a stitch. Don't go cutting it off, if it gets long enough to annoy you - that should be done by a doctor, using sterile scissors.

I saw on another thread that you said you have no hip - did you mean that you have ha d hip fusion at some stage? Or what did you mean by that?
If you have had hip surgery in the past, please will you tell us what, and when, that was?
 
I have had 13 other surgeries. I was born with no femoral Head and no acetabulum. Actually on both sides- but my right side eventually grew after being pinned and casted for almost a year when I was tiny. My right side never did. You may know doctor Robert Salter, world renown pediatric orthopedic doctor. He was my doctor all my young life. He managed after many surgeries, to tie my femur in to my pelvis with muscle. They said I would never walk, and that was almost 40 years ago. It has stayed and functioned that way my whole life.

I cannot list all the surgeries and what they were- just know there were many. And perhaps this gives some of you some insight as to my apprehension about this knee surgery. This is just one of many.
 
Thank you for trying to explain about your hips.
Before your knee replacement, could you walk without support, or did you need a cane or other walking aid?
 
I never needed any assistance. I walked, hiked, cycles etc. The only thing I couldn’t do because it caused discomfort as I got older was going for a run.
 
I thought i would give an update- it’s been a while and a whirlwind. It’s been 17 weeks today since my TKA. I made myself ditch the cane about a month ago because it wasn’t allowing me to really strengthen my quads and hips relying on that. I’m still going to PT twice a week, my ROM is now 137 as of today. My PT is a gem- she knows when to push me and when to reel me in.

I did my first real ride and did 8 miles on the road last Sunday. Being that long distance cycling is my true love, that felt like a huge step in the right direction. I could finally see my life ahead of me again. Hills are going to be something I have to build too, as is the ability to slowly lower down on my new knee (like stepping off something slowly).

It comes in leaps and plateaus and then a step back every once in a while. I’m using my knee in a way that I never have been able to since birth. It’s an amazing feeling!
 
Yay for getting back to the activities you love! :bicycle1:

It can take a little work and time to get your strength back up where you want it to be. Patience pays off, though, and you’re doing great! It really is an amazing feeling — humbling, even — to get back to activities we thought we might never do again. I’m really enjoying biking too. I’d given it up years ago... just on the boardwalk at the shore, nothing competitive. But when doing it now it’s like, “Thank you!”
 
Glad it's going so well and you can get back to what you love doing! I love hearing these things, give me hope!!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom